NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello :) new first time parrot mom here

EmmasMom

Hi everybody. My name is Lidija and my baby African grey is Emma. She is 4 months and 3 weeks old. She is beautiful. I been buying the books and reading everything about African greys several months before I got her and still don't know much. This forum is very good and helpful for newbie like me to learn more about my baby from experienced bird owners. Right now she is in a A&E cage inside measures 24x24x30 total height 63". Cage is in the living room. I would like to buy bigger cage but space is tight. I know that she will need 3x2x3 feet minimum and I've seen nice one in Petsmart (Ez care medium playtop) 32"L x 24"W x 65"H or 80"H to top of the toy hooks. I think that luvparrot member have that cage but because of space I was wondering if somebody can tell me if Avian Adventure Chiquita 28"w x 23"d x 29"h is to small. This one will be little bit wider than what she has now. And my other concern with big cages like Ez care is that they are tall and I am only 5.5". I read that African grey can become aggressive and bite if he need to look down on you (which will be the case with this cage). Chiquita will be in my eye level. Please tell me is this true about the height and which cage will be better for my baby.

Thanks ..... :)

Hello Lidija and welcome to our family.

A grey needs a cage big enough for them to be in the middle and flap their wings and not touch the sides and it is not true that the height of the cage will make them aggressive if they are looking down at you. Greys will naturally go to the highest part because it is ingrained into them being always on the lookout for predators and being high gives them a better look.

My grey has a cage with a playtop on one side, it has a toy hook that she loves to sit on and then slide down when she is ready to come down, she is not aggressive when she is up there but she can see more of the room that way.

You can read all the books you can find but you won't find better advice than what you find here for it is firsthand experience from like people, members with greys, some with more than one, you will find most any question has already been asked and good advice given so do spend some time going thru the many threads you will find here.

We love pictures here so if you have some of Emma you would share with us we would love to see her, she is young yet and still has those dark eyes.

Hi Lidija and Emma. Welcome to the Grey family. Looking forward to hearing more about Emma and seeing some pictures (hint,hint). I too am 5'5" and the nice thing about the EZ Care cage is that you do not have to put the toy racks on top if you don't want. As for the height thing, Judy has all ready nicely addressed that.

Edited by luvparrots

Thank you both, Judy and Luvparrots. You made me feel better and more comfortable in buying a big cage. And Judy you are right, all the books in the world cannot teach you more than advice from experienced bird owners like on this forum. I was concerned about the height of the cage because i thought I will not be able to take her down from the playtop. All these stupid books are saying that she will try to be dominant and bite. I can forget about that now. Thank you both so much.

I will try to post some pictures when I figure out how to. I did put a picture of Emma on my profile but from some reason it is not showing.

.......................Thanks.....................................