NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Timneh or congo?

featherfluff

Hello everyone! I've been looking to get a grey for a while and researching, but I have a couple questions for the people who love greys And have much experience with them. Do timnehs actually have more playful, sociable personalities than the congos? Or is it all just breeder propaganda? Also raised And socialized properly from an early age, can greys be accepting of New things, Sociable to New people, And tolerant of noise? I have an active lifestyle And it would be great if I could harness train my grey And take it places with me! And input would be great thanks :)

I have an 8 month old TAG and he enjoys interacting with all adults, is fascinated by dogs and thinks cats are for chasing. He does not like kids. I have a backpack carrier and he has gone for rides in the car, to work, to the store and for walks with me.

I have both and I believe it's not always how they are brought up, but much is up to their individual personalities. My cag is afraid of anything on the counter that wasn't there for the last 4 years.....my tag is better, but my cag is fearful of anything new and some things she will just never go near. Even tree stands or perches in my house that have been there for 5 years, she is still afraid of.

There are so many factors from heredity, breeder care, home care and the personality between the individual parrot and the household. Doesn't help much for trying to make the "right" choice. We have had a baby Congo, a second young Congo with trauma from surgery and illness and a rehomed ten year old Timneh. I don't have enough experience with an older grey who has been in the same home since weaning. Both the Congo and the Timneh have been fearful and somewhat withdrawn from human touch, but equally intelligent, talkative and incredible companions. As far as tolerant to noise, I would say that loud, unexpected sounds would be hard on a sensitive parrot, but again, that varies from each situation. Even when ours were so scared and easily startled, it helped not to come around the corner without a whistle or warning of who was coming along. It also helped a lot to warn before switching on the blender or vacuum cleaner.

There are so many factors from heredity, breeder care, home care and the personality between the individual parrot and the household. Doesn't help much for trying to make the "right" choice. We have had a baby Congo (CAG), a second young Congo with trauma from surgery and illness and a rehomed ten year old Timneh (TAG). I don't have enough experience with an older grey who has been in the same home since weaning. Both the Congo and the Timneh have been fearful and somewhat withdrawn from human touch, but equally intelligent, talkative and incredible companions. As far as tolerant to noise, I would say that loud, unexpected sounds would be hard on a sensitive parrot, but again, that varies from each situation. Even when ours were so scared and easily startled, it helped not to come around the corner without a whistle or warning of who was coming along. It also helped a lot to warn before switching on the blender or vacuum cleaner. If it is possible for you to visit a breeder with both CAGs and TAGs and see the baby in its own environment you will get a beginning idea of seeing the temperment of the individual in its most comfortable setting.

The above posts offer very sound opinions. I have a CAG who is cautious but open to new adventures. She is fine with new toys and changes in her environment. She is generally tolerant of new people, but will not step up on strangers. She usually accepts treats from them though. I don't have experience with TAGs, however, so it is hard for me to compare.

I have both a TAG since she was 4 months old, and a CAG since he was 5 months old. Ana Grey is now 4 and Sterling Gris is now 2. Ana Grey is very self-assured and fearless. If you come into my home especially with food you better be prepared to share because she will lit on your shoulder and ask and ask until you give her, her fair share. If Ana Grey decides you're okay, she is there for you. Now my CAG is a big cry baby. If someone new comes into my home he screams like a banshee in fear for his life. Sterling trusst only me. Its funny to watch little Ana Grey (305g) small and brave; and Sterling Gris a big guy (505g) scared and screaming. Ana Grey is my social butterfly and Sterling Gris my backroom shy guy.

Very interesting thread.....After our cockatiel flew away from us and was never seen again in August, we were devastated. I wasn't really looking for another bird so soon but my husband and I have always wanted an african grey. I didn't even know there were two types until I started doing some research. I located a breeder/veterinarian who lived about 90 miles from us who had some babies but she had just sold them all. She gave me the name of another breeder to call. It took me a week to even call her because I wasn't sure I was ready for another bird so soon after losing our tiel. I knew that I wanted a hand-fed baby and after talking with her and seeing pictures of the babies, I knew I had to have one.

So Felix arrived in our home at 10 weeks old and our journey began. He is a Timneh and is now 6 months old and fits into our family perfectly. He isn't afraid of anything! He readily comes to inspect new toys, anything laying on the counter in his path, the dogs, and he loves for my 3-year-old daughter to scratch him. He can be picky about who he will step up to if they are a stranger but he will generally go to anyone as long as they aren't too loud or too fast for him. He does seem to prefer me most since I spend the most time with him, but he loves my husband as well.

I don't have experience with any other greys but I am so glad our Timneh is ours!

Good luck with your search! You will know when you find the right one.