NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Greys and other parrots?

MiracleAces

I did do a quick search, but really couldn't find what I was looking for...

I was browsing through many of the great pics and videos and noticed many people who had two birds (one being a Grey) often had a different type of parrot as a companion. Obviously each bird will have their own personality, but is it easier to introduce two parrots if they are of different species?

I've heard and read both of the success and unfortunate failures of people trying to get a companion for their Grey. Just curious if what I mentioned above has any merit.

I absoultely agree and getting another parrot wasn't my intention. Just getting one African Grey was a decision that took over a year to make. We wouldn't just jump into another parrot :) Besides we have other pets and the financial burden alone would be enough to deter us. I only asked out of curiosity. I saw so many Greys with other parrots that it peaked my curiousity

Janet gave good advice. Adding another parrot would be because you wanted it. Greys are very aloof and only flock with their species, unlike amazons, conures and macaws that intermingle. Also, parrots many times become very jealous and do not like sharing the time spent with you. We have a conure as well as our grey. They do not get along at all other than breathing the same air together, the conure is only safe about 2 feet from our grey. Get too close and a flying chase seen takes place. :P

Yes, Janet and Dan said it best. I have 6 birds. None of them see the other as companions except for my 2 parakeets that have been housed together since we got them 6 years ago. They tolerate living together, have their little tiffs occasionally, once in a long while, they may play the chase, flying game, the "you can't catch me" game thru the house, but not often. Mostly they put up with each other.....

I once considered getting a second parrot, but I have decided that for now Gracie would prefer to live in a one-bird home. I am thinking about getting a puppy however. When Gracie and I visit my parents, she seems to really like their Toy Fox Terrier. She barks just likes him and calls him over by name and drops toys and food for him. I think he amuses her. I know many people here have dogs as well. Do you find that dogs and birds can offer some level of companionship to each other (supervised of course)?

Well, I have 2 bichon's. The birds sometime work in teams with the dogs I think, they work hard to get something, take some for themselves and throw the rest onto the floor for the dogs. Also they like to perch on the backs of the kitchen chair with their food bites they steal from us while the dogs impatiently wait for them to drop them onto the floor.

Also, My birds love to yell at my dogs when they bark, and Nilah my amazon will be happy to bite there ears or tails while they sleep next to us on the couch......

Interesting about the dog Jeff. I have cats. While Timber and the cats don't interact (except him trying to grab their tails when they pass under his cage), he seems to take a keen interest in their activities and antics. He also whistles to them and talks to them sometimes. It seems to me that while he doesn't see them as companions, he sees them as entertainment!