NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

'ZONS...The "Sybil" of the Parrot World

Jayd

Many species of parrots are known for certain traits. For example: A Hyacinth Macaw is known as a true lover and cuddler. A Grey is known for astuteness and intellect. A Quaker is known as the "Evil Green Chicken" hahaha..Au nauseum, etc. It is no wonder that a large number of different 'ZONS will not only display different traits and demeanor's from species to species but also within specific species themselves. A good example is the "Hot 3". You can compare common similarities from species to species and from owner to owner but as you go down the line of similarities, they will vary from bird to bird. For example: two of the three might be ornery. One of the three might be a good eater. Two of the three might be good talkers. Taking this into account with the over 30 different species of Amazons and you won't ever be able to say with any certainty that this is how any given species is and only able to say maybe they are like that. There are just too many variables with the majority of variables being outside influence. You have heard the saying "You are what you eat". Regarding the 'ZONS, it is "You are who you live with".:cool:

Great post Jay, I frankly, have a male zon, a Blue Front, one of the "Hot Three" he will be 5 around January 1. Louie is a very sweet zon and full of energy and tries very hard to be a good boy and do as I ask. He does not bite me, he nibbles, but no bites. Never a loss of blood or broken skin. He will not come to me except on his terms but he tries very hard to watch me, listen to me and do what I ask. Louie is very attentive and very observant. I love him to pieces and will not be deterred by hearsay, stuff others have heard. So unless you have a "Hot Three" zon, a male, I don't want to hear about their terrible personalities. I will draw my own conclusions by Louie's personality and his treatment of our relationship.

All I know is that I wish I had been Louie's first owner, I wish I knew more about his prior life because Louie is a sweetheart who tries very hard to be my friend. I wonder why he doesn't like to be touched but loves to touch. Because I believe his nibble is his touching of me and his preening of my hair is his way of also touching me. I wish I could have talked to his original male owner, the husband/father because I truly believe he was really loved by someone just not the women who sold him to me. These ladies put him outside because he was "wild" and they could not handle him. Louie is not wild, he is a true sweetheart and the favorite of all my family. What a personality, no one can touch him but he is still the favorite of everyone. He steals everyone's heart. Go figure.

Thank you Janet, what you've said is so true and so important, each human is unique, and I believe it is just as strong in a Amazon. They have been stereotyped more so than others. Groupings of Amazon's in their natural habitats range from small to large, with many flocks in a small area. They tend to live by humans to get a free ride utilizing wasted food products and with a second benefit of living with a large group that offers protection from predators.

These zons learn to speak and interact with their native adoptive families. When a zon or pair of zon's move on to another flock, they learn the ways of the new flock and the interactions of the new native group. Each time they move on they learn these new nuances and languages. So you can see a zon can learn to speak many dialects, and get along with many different groups.

Because of this natural trait, in captivity they can survive re-homing and uprooting with success than many other parrots can't. They have their demands, but with time they learn to share.......

Janet I know I wish I was Crickets first owner, but I was not and she has turned out to be a sweetheart and has the most gentle way about her.

I almost did not take her because of what I had read about amazons.

Now I don`t know what life would be with out her as she has become a big part of our family.

Cricket is a female and dose not fall in the hot three but given the chance I would take a male that needed a home in a heart beat.

Jay good post.

Louie of course is only 5, so we will see what happens in the future. I don't know if any of you remember, but I had a very mature male ekkie, Sully, which I have re-rehomed because frankly, Ana Grey hated him and pestered him endlessly. Sully was at least 10 from the information I gathered but I have been told that he is much older by the looks of his beak color. Anyhow, Sully would lick my arm and latch on with his beak, very scarey but I quickly learned how to get his to release without too much trouble and made sure he did not have the opportunity to get so close to me again while in this condition. (Thank you Dave, you were a real lifesaver)

When you talk about pinning eyes, I know all about them because Sully had the most evil eyes when he was in "heat". By the way, Sully, lives next door and is very loved and happy.

I bring this up because I am not afraid of the so called male zon's mating tendencies because I have seen them upfront with a older male ekkie. I am prepared if needed.

I know you miss Sully. Thats good that your not afraid, but please be concerned. The attitude from zon to zon varies from no attitude to when is it going to stop. The mating dance of a Amazon is some what different than a lot of parrots, The zon will squat down the front part of their body raising their rear, they'll squirm and wiggly in the most loving and cuddly way while cooing. A zon can lay a egg at 2 yr's of age. [As every one knows you must ignore them at this stage.]

I would think that if Louie was going to show any bad tendencies, you would have seen them by now. If a zon has what I call a "Ancestral mating attitude" it can be very pronounced, violent/aggressive, to not just biting hard but to a full facial attack. If this is the type of zon a person has, it's best to keep them cage bound and handled with a step-up stick, understanding that all things pass. Some times no mater how much love or care or concern we can give our zons heredity still plays a major roll. Rays Cricket is a sweet heart, our Salsa is of "Undetermined " nature, but we love them.

Lets say, Talon, Janet, Ray p and Maggie all lived next to each other, they a got a zon from the same breeder, same parents, raised the same way, same cage etc. There would be many similarity's but the chance of personality/mating attitude could be so different, they would be unrecognizable. This isn't caused by the caretakers, but because of heredity....

Not to worry Jay, I grew up on a farm with many different fowl around. I have been chased by geese, hens, peacocks, rams and bulls. My father also raised fighting cocks so I have seen vicious and threatened fowl. I do understand what can happen and will be careful.

I'm sorry, no ill intent was meant. I've always known of your care and concern for our feathered friends and animals in general. Jay