NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bongo's plucking.

mego634

Posting from my iPhone so, bare with me :). It's been quite a while since I've posted anything, just been super busy.

Bongo will be a year old next month and she is the greatest bird I've ever known. She is super smart and she is very loving. She started over preening a few weeks ago and I took her to the vet just to make sure she is healthy. Blood tests came back, and she's as healthy as can be.

She's gone from over preening to clipping and is now fully pulling her feathers out. She has no tail feathers left and is terribly off balance. Her attitude seems to be the same most of the time, I even taught her a new trick yesterday. She's playful and energetic and talkative, but still pulling her feathers.

I have her on pluck no more and we've almost gone through an entire bottle. The vet said to keep her on that until she grows her feathers back. But Bongo HATES baths and she gets so mad at me when I bathe her.

Anyway, I attached a picture hope it works from my phone.

Is there anything else anyone would suggest I do to help her overcome this?

I am moving a week from today and I am so scared she will get worse :(

Thanks for reading.

image.jpg

Good to see you back here again ;) You might want to give a little household history too other than the move..the different changes that have been happening in your life, additions to the family, how much interaction she gets and with whom. That might help out the people who had dealt with this before. If the vet has ruled out anything health wise that might just leave boredom or stress.

Some of our more experienced grey guardians are sure to have some idea what's going on with her. Poor baby.

I did just get a new puppy. But her over preening started before that. She cannot be bored I went from having 2 jobs two only having one and I've had a lot more time at home. She is out of her cage 80 percent of the day following me, riding the dogs :) lol, or perching on one of her java trees. We play and learn new tricks every day. She has toys all over the house. Maybe she's stressed because I've been home more :) hehe. That's not true. She really loves me.

=D Hopefully someone will be along with some advice. I try not to worry on it but I am so afraid of Jasper doing this. After you sent me that first picture of her that time..his chest feathers look a little tattered.He is molting but oy..you might have to buy her a dress so she can't pluck

Posting from my iPhone so, bare with me :). It's been quite a while since I've posted anything, just been super busy.

Bongo will be a year old next month and she is the greatest bird I've ever known. She is super smart and she is very loving. She started over preening a few weeks ago and I took her to the vet just to make sure she is healthy. Blood tests came back, and she's as healthy as can be.

She's gone from over preening to clipping and is now fully pulling her feathers out. She has no tail feathers left and is terribly off balance. Her attitude seems to be the same most of the time, I even taught her a new trick yesterday. She's playful and energetic and talkative, but still pulling her feathers.

I have her on pluck no more and we've almost gone through an entire bottle. The vet said to keep her on that until she grows her feathers back. But Bongo HATES baths and she gets so mad at me when I bathe her.

Anyway, I attached a picture hope it works from my phone.

Is there anything else anyone would suggest I do to help her overcome this?

I am moving a week from today and I am so scared she will get worse :(

Thanks for reading.

AVITECH.COM

Feather-In AntiPick Treatment

USE 2 TIMES A DAY WITH ROOM TEMP WATER.

Because your bird has seriously plucked himself, buy the 16 oz container. It's a special powder.

Pluck No More isn't for your bird's situation

That is cheaper than the pluck no more that I bought. Thanks Dave. Hope it works!

Just remember to soak the skin thoroughly---don't dry him--don't use hair dryer---keep him away from drafty windows. Do it twice a day. Thwow out what remains in the sprayer each evening. If your bird squawks, don't get frightened. Many don't like spraying.

Directions for Avitech

1--use their spoon and correct amount of water.

2---after it's in mister, the bottle needs to be shaken much more than any other fluids are shaken.

3---After shaking, they'll be some small lumps floating round in the fluid so the bottle needs to be shaken some more until they dissolve.

4---In the evening any fluid left in bottle must be dumped. Then the bottle is filled with plain water and shaken until bottle is clean. After that, put the mister in the bottle with 1/2 full of water and spray it a few times so the fluid doesn't cake up in the mister.The ideal bottle to use is one that where a person can see the interior such as windex type bottles. It's easy to see those lumps floating around as you're shaking the bottle.

Usually, for a heavily plucked bird the usuage is 2x a day

Edited by Dave007