NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Purchase of African Grey baby with missing toe tip

Kasia

Hi, I have paid for an African Grey baby who was attacked by its parents while in the nesting box and had 3 toe tips chewed off. He is a sweetie pie baby and I have come to adore him. He will soon be weaned and I will officially be taking him home. Is this a wise purchase for a first time Grey owner. He can hold food in the affected foot. While climbing the cage bars he can get his toe to joint over for a grip, so that is not a problem. The last joint with the toenail seems to be what is missing on those 3 toes.

Is it true that they adapt to their physical limitations and act normal like there is no problem. It seems to be the case with this baby Grey.

I appreciate your feedback. Also, while I have your attention, each of the times I have visited him he has a slight sneeze, once I saw clear spray coming from his cere. Today I just heard the sneeze and wasn't at an angle to visualize any discharge. However, one of his cere holes looks closed up like it has white matter closing it off vs. its opposite which is clear.

Concerns??

Thanks again. I look forward to hanging out with you all with my Grey. Again, first time owner and have gotten attached to this one. The price was cut in half for his purchase. Not the issue though, more concerned over trauma-induced learning disability and bird to love as my little "baby" into old age.

I feel for him -- I see him doing his darndest to climb and hold food and it is just precious. His wings aren't clipped yet and he has a mighty wing flapping ability looking straight at me and I, again, am heads over heels with him but want to get some feedback before I bring him home for good.

Kathy (Kasia):)

Hi Kathy, and Welcome to our Family. I am in awe of the attachment you obviously have for this sweetheart! He sounds perfect for you. Bless his heart, and yours.

It is true that they will adapt to their own physical abilities. He knows no other way, so he should be fine. He's able to climb and hold food, so that's great!

As far as the discharge, I would have definitely have a vet look at him and he probably needs some medicine to clear up what ever the problem is. How old is he? If he is young it could just need clearing from being hatched, but if he is older, he may have a respiratory issue that needs antibiotics. I wouldn't let these issues influence your love for him. I would still adopt him and give him all the tlc that I know you have for him. He should live a long and happy life with you.

Please keep us posted, as much as you can, and I look forward to hearing much more!! :)

Hello Kathy and it does seem like you are head over heels for this grey and yes they can adapt to having missing toes, he does not know he is different from the others.

I would be concerned about the cere holes being clogged up or with matter closing them up, I would certainly want to have him checked out by an avian vet before you bring him home, it should not be like that.

I am really proud of you for taking a less than perfect bird that most would have ignored and loving it and giving it a home.

Why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us a little more about yourself.

I agree with Judy and Talon. He will adapt just fine, and live a happy/healthy life!

You should do a wellness check anyways once you get him, so I would have him looked at then.

Congrats on your new baby! Feel free to ask us any other questions as they pop up!

I'll chime in with everyone else here. Get the discharge checked out, you don't want to let it go if he's sick.

But as to adaptability, my pride and joy, Ponti (an almost 2 year old female CAG)has a broken toe and a leg that is now gimpy because of a break that healed wrong. (I should clarify. One of her back toes is useless, it flops around every which way, sometimes it bends around the back of the perch like it's supposed to, but more often it bends back around over the front of the perch, she can't control it) This is in addition to a leg that broke and is now healed, but is now bent at an odd angle

It has had no effect on her self-esteem, intelligence, emotional development (am I talking about a kid or a bird here? lol) or anything. She doesn't even know she's handicapped. She does look somewhat surprised every time she slips and falls off her perch and ends up on the floor of the cage (like, "how did i get down here?") but she gets right back up again.

We've adapted her cage as best we can so that she can get around easily and as safely as possible. We noticed that with wood perches, she slipped off them much more easily, so we have gone to rope perches (don't anybody even get started on the rope-perch debate. I've been severely scolded by some professionals for using them, and others say they're perfectly fine, so long as you keep them in good repair).

She also has to have a layer of towels on the bottom of her cage, and for night-time, she goes in a little travel cage, with a toweled floor, and a perch about 2" off the floor...sometimes she sleeps perched, but more often than not, I peek in and see her sleeping on the floor, flat on her face. When she starts to fall asleep on a perch, her likelihood of falling increases exponentially. Believe me, we've seen it!

Anyway those are just a couple of insights into how it might be a little different with a handi-capable bird than with a "normal" bird. You'll love him just as much, and he'll grow up to be a perfectly healthy, well-adjusted bird. If you look at ponti's youtube videos (just search Ponti African Grey, or user matt314159) you'll be able to see how well she gets around despite what, upon close inspection, looks like a pretty messed up foot. She does great!

Good luck Kasia! Let us know how it all turns out!<br><br>Post edited by: matt314159, at: 2007/10/13 09:37