NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can molting affect appetite?

Wulfgeist

...Jasper is really starting to molt pretty good now. I take him into the shower with me at least twice a week for steam at least. I am out of his Bean Cuisine that I mix with veggies in the morning and I recently switched veggie brands. I switched to one that has lima beans in it as well as carrots, peas, and corn. He also gets a broccoli spear in the morning too. The first couple days he didn't seem to like it but he's eating it now. I fed him like usual and he was begging like a starving thing when I ate so I looked in his bowl...he's barely touched it. This is his dry mix, the Harrison's was just opened recently so it can't be that's stale. He gets the dried Just Veggies in there as well as half an avi-cake. He's nibbled on that but doesn't look like much else has been touched. I do recall him munching a couple pellets before when I was in here sitting but there seems to be alot left.

Right now he's playing with another foraging toy that doesn't have anything in it. Is it possible he's just going through another "rather play than eat" phase? As I speak he's in there munching now so maybe he's not been in the mood to eat.

They both need their nails trimmed again and right now in this new place I know of no where else to take them but the avian vet. I'm afraid to ask what that will cost, I'm used to the $5 trim I could get where I bought him. I'll just have to ask the vet what she thinks because I've always thought he's been a bit on the skinny side. I think I know where his scale is after the move, it'll just be a process of getting him used to it again.

I have to totally disagree with adding anything to a grey's diet during molting. If your bird has been eating the various foods that are beneficial all year long, a grey or any other parrot will still molt 1 or 2 times a year. It's a natural process. The old dead feathers are falling off with new feathers immediately replacing them. A grey loses feathers all year long. Nothing in their diet is causing this.

Does a grey or other parrot lose interest in food? Yes but the main reason is because they're totally irritated and itchy and the skin is drier. More protein won't do anything concerning the time of molting. Does that grey get weak from not eating as much? No because the grey has been eating all the right foods before molting. Nothing bad is going on with the internal system. Do some greys act short tempered during molting? Yes because the irritated areas on the body can be more irritated if a person decides to pet their bird in the wrong direction so the chances of getting bitten is higher.

The most common way of treating a bird during that molting time isn't internal, it's external. Humidity should be kept higher, bathing, spraying should be increased. But I should ssay this--even if you do these things, it won't make a grey any more interested in food but it will be comforting.

Great Question, both responses were accurate and to the point. In the past few years, avian nutritionist, some vets, pet food company's and parrot owners are all for increasing protien during molting and other stressful times. If we lived in a perfect world, and new for sure [especially for a new caretaker] that our parrot are truly receiving what they need in their diet, nothing additional would be needed, unfortunately no magic agreement has yet to be reached. With the many varied diets and treat we feed our parrots, compounded by outside induced stress, a little extra protein can only benefit our parrots.

"The times they are a changing"

Edited by Jayd

It took me a while to find this in my personal arcives, but this is a good article on moulting.....http://www.2ndchance.info/molt.htm

Will My Parrot’s Personality Change While It Molts?

If your parrot lives indoors in artificial light and molts only an occasional feather, its personality will not change. If your parrot has gone through a normal summer breeding cycle during which its sexual hormones surged, it will quiet down and become less aggressive during its subsequent molting period.

Many parrots become less active and moody while molting. Your pet may not be as affectionate with you as it normally is. Parrots will scratch themselves more as the new contour and head feathers sprout.

Everyone is giving good thoughts and advice. :)

Each parrot species are different in how severe a molt may affect them. Greys for example are one of the highest dander producing species. The combination of dander, molting, dry air from winter heat etc. just exacerbates and compounds the itchiness and discomfort our greys feel. As dave said, keep the humidifiers humming along. more frequent bath and especially drenching with 100 percent aloe juice with a mist sprayer will help sooth them.

While I agree if your parrot is already on a well rounded diet increase of one food item may or may not be needed. It is a scientifically proven fact that the protein Keratin makes up the feather. Keratins are proteins that are made inside the body using amino acids as the foundations. Forming the perfect feather without correct nutrients is very difficult. Also replacing those molted out feathers takes a ton of energy believe it or not. Dayo eats more when molting, which would be expected. He already eats a very bountiful and well rounded diet, but I do personally give him more healthy nuts such as walnuts, almonds and pistachios during large molts like right now in winter.

He does want scratches more often and longer duration for those very prickly and itchy head and neck pins he cannot get to. But, hit one prickly pin wrong and you will get a quick reaction, which I try to gentle avoid. You can sure tell those scratches feel good by the way he will just close his eyes and turn his head to guide your finger to the spot he wants scratched. Then when he fluffs and shakes, rattles and rolls, the dander just flies. Then head down for more scratches. :P

Edited by danmcq

Everyone is giving good thoughts and advice. :)

Each parrot species are different in how severe a molt may affect them. Greys for example are one of the highest dander producing species. The combination of dander, molting, dry air from winter heat etc. just exacerbates and compounds the itchiness and discomfort our greys feel. As dave said, keep the humidifiers humming along. more frequent bath and especially drenching with 100 percent aloe juice with a mist sprayer will help sooth them.

While I agree if your parrot is already on a well rounded diet increase of one food item may or may not be needed. It is a scientifically proven fact that the protein Keratin makes up the feather. Keratins are proteins that are made inside the body using amino acids as the foundations. Forming the perfect feather without correct nutrients is very difficult. Also replacing those molted out feathers takes a ton of energy believe it or not. Dayo eats more when molting, which would be expected. He already eats a very bountiful and well rounded diet, but I do personally give him more healthy nuts such as walnuts, almonds and pistachios during large molts like right now in winter.

He does want scratches more often and longer duration for those very prickly and itchy head and neck pins he cannot get to. But, hit one prickly pin wrong and you will get a quick reaction, which I try to gentle avoid. You can sure tell those scratches feel good by the way he will just close his eyes and turn his head to guide your finger to the spot he wants scratched. Then when he fluffs and shakes, rattles and rolls, the dander just flies. Then head down for more scratches. :P

I've been through the pin feathers with my GCC. He's pretty patient with my clumsy fingers but I've made him squeal and pull away a time or two :(

Lots of good answers, thanks for them all and for the article.

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting discussion, during molting they require more protein and diet. They need more amino acids during molting. Huge amounts of energy, vitamins, fats and minerals are also needed for the bird to quickly grow their new feathers.

Edited by Brenton