NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Trial to escape??

forummehta

Ive noticed a couple of times that Miki (my approx 4 yr old CAG) has tried to jump out of a glass window..I guess she's trying to escape..Its just a month since I got her and noticed her do this 4-5 times. I'm kind of getting worried that is it really an attempt to escape? I feel bad that she's not happy and I'm depriving her of her freedom. But I can't release her because she would surely die. How do I comfort her?

Also, do CAG's have mood swings? Like..the last weekend, Miki was accepting food from me happily but this weekened she just throws it off no matter how hungry she is? I hope its not a sign of depression..Please let me know if you guys face similar problems.

You need to be very careful about glass windows/doors, etc. Our parrots don't realize that it is glass and hard and think they are going to be outside flying. You should make sure that your grey knows that this is glass and very hard. Your grey can be hurt very easily. Perhaps some stickers on the glass. I always show glass to my parrots by tapping on it so they realize it is hard and that they shouldn't try to go through it. I talk to my parrots all the time so that they know what I am doing. Some greys are very cautious and you have not had Miki with you all that long so give her more time to settle in.

Edited by luvparrots

They have to test their environment and their limits, glass windows, mirrors and ceiling fans are a challenge to birds safety. Great advice above, mine have all gotten to tap on windows and mirrors to feel what they are, it helps. Ceiling fans off when the birds are loose to avoid injuries. Most likely not sad and trying to escape just wanting see what is out there ,touch it all and test those limits.