NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

well that freaked me out.

jbsmomto1

I was just with Storm, went into the kitchen to get his bedtime treat and came back in and he was perched up on the top of his cage as usual but he looked like he was struggling, so I went to see what the issue was and sure as heck his nail is stuck in a teeny tiny hole under the bar on the top of the cage, the hole serves no purpose or if it does I can't figure out what it might be. He was really twisting his little leg to get it free. I tried to look and see what it was stuck on and saw the hole. He was beaking me so gently while I was getting him free but he was yelling to, so he knew I'm sure that I was trying to help, I made him step up with the other foot so he would quit twisting and than was able to free his poor foot, I thought for sure he was gonna break his leg by the twisting. But it's out and he's not hurt or anything.

What can I use to cover the holes when I looked to see, I saw there are 4 of them one on each underside of the top. For tonight I just used a small square of duct tape, but it's 100% certainty that once he knows it's there he will have it yanked off in a new york second and if he doesn't Echo will when he visits. Like I said I can see no purpose (unless its for cleaning reasons, but if they are sealed up then water can't get inside, which I don't think it should anyway) to them so they can be covered or filled permanently, but I dunno with what...

Duct tape?

Glue?

Cement?

Maybe there is nothing to fill them with thats safe?

Oh my! The same thing happended to Talon. I got a few bites with all the screaming and fighting she was doing when I tried to free her as her breaking her leg was my biggest fear as well. I wrapped vet wrap around those places. I didn't want to fill them as I was afraid shed pull out whatever I used.

I know how scarey this was for you. Glad all is ok now.

Tape was a good thought. Also, for a quick fix, try "Quake Hold." It's a putty used to keep objects from moving during an earthquake. It's pretty strong. As more something more permanent - I really don't know. I'm not good with metal.

Oh! You also might try some sports tape wrapped around the bar. But, again, I'm not sure it's a permanent solution.

They can find more ways to injure themselves and more ways to give us grey hairs, just amazing how efficient they are in this respect. A good reminder to ck all toys for open rings that trap beaks or toes, cages for secure doors and feeding dishes, latches and joints that could be dangerous. Kind of like when we ck our smoke alarms on a regular basi8s we can do the same for our Fids.

How lucky you were that Storm trusted you to help him, that had to have been scary for both of you. I went to look over our cages and I did see a tiny hole on each end of the top bars. It is not an area that can be wrapped with vet tape being at a corner and with the play top in the way. I am wondering if we can find a screw that would fit in there to screw it in tight and maybe even put some glue on it first to lessen the chance they could unscrew it. I will definintely be on a quest to find a way to protect Gilbert and Java from getting a toenail in there. Thanks for that head's up.

• 2 weeks later...