NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A weird question, but here goes...

lisachristine

Now that Rosie has started to enjoy my presence, I've decided that it is time for her to learn to "step up". Her previous owner, I'm convinced, ruined this phrase because every time I say "step up" she freaks out so now I use the phase "where's your foot?". Now I have her reaching out with one foot (and only one foot). My question is what is the best way to approach her? Do I hold a fist out where she can grasp onto my wrist or do I offer two straight fingers that she can wrap her talons around? How do your birds step up? She is very clumsy and VERY insecure (she is a rehab CAG). I'm not afraid of her at all, just wanted to know what would feel more physically secure for her.

Edited by lisachristine

I would maybe let Rosie help guide you. I used to use 4 fingers, but that leaves lots of temptation for putting the beak around the top finger...ouch! I then decided to go with the "iron fist" which is often recommended as it is more difficult to receive a bite when no fingers are exposed. That has not been particularly successful either. I have a sneaky suspicion that Shadow may fear the fist. She steps up beautifully on my hubbies 2 fingers. Ultimately, I have found a step up "stick" to work the best for us. Shadow complies eagerly and I never get bit! A win win if you ask me!! Good luck as you find the method works best for you.

The other question is how do I get her to put BOTH feet on me? She dances back and forth with just one foot and this has been going on for months. Do I wait for her to put her second foot on me or should I push her a little and bump her other foot that's hanging on for dear life? My biggest fear is breaking the trust that we have built in the past two years. To wait or not to wait, that is the question.

I would use the wrist/arm with fist clenched (Iron Fist) since you state she is clumsy. If the perch feels unstable at all, they will not fully commit. Go ahead and gently bump a little and perhaps offer her favorite treat with the other hand to entice her to move forward with the second talon to get it. Since you have he patience of Job, I believe this will be your best methodology of showing her you are kind, trustworthy and a secure place to perch on.

Only god knows what Rosie has been through.

Edited by danmcq

Not a weird question at all, now I am watching to see what works for you so we might try it also. We go through waves of getting almost there to suddenly Gilbert will wave his foot and ask to step up, mostly for David, but sometimes for me. Who knows what is in his mind, but I am always on the lookout to see any indication that I can have a turn of his sweetness. It seems like a lot of waiting but it will be worth it when Rosie starts clamoring for you to pick her up. I love that adaptation you have used "where's your foot".

I also love you saying " where's the foot?" I agree with danmcq. I also would try on a weekend to leave cage door open, hang out with family in front of cage,let her think about stepping up on the door on her own. We did this with Sophie, as she was rehomed at age two.None of us tried to get her stepup. We played games in front of her cage, she walked down, climbed up on me, said " Hi!" I said hi back, everyone was freaking out, I told kids to stop, ignore her and lets play. We did. We passed her around to whomevers turn it was. It was amaing. More than a decade later, we no longer have to say " stepup, or stepdown". Her foot is always up the moment she see's any of us. Ready to go at all times. When we did say " stepup", it was two finger approach. Nancy

I find that when they step tentatively they are testing the reliability of the perch. Your arm/hand is new and needs to prove a safe place to perch. You may want to allow her to step on with one foot, praise and give her a treat and give her the step up command and wait for another step. Go slow once she is on your hand, or even return her to the perch for another round.

Grey time is slow time. :)

Sophie trusts many! When I hired someone new to take care of her while I was away for vacation,( someone she liked from the start). He spent two weeks hanging with her. She had one foot on him, one foot on me!LOL She knew I was leaving. ( I know my girl!) I told her, she needed to put two feet on him. She understood, but took her time putting two feet on her babysitter. I know she was trying to change things. Once she understood, I was still going to go away, she was all over the new babysitter. Stepup, stepdown. A true angel. Nancy

I only use "step up" when I'm not giving Jake a choice. "Wanna come?" is for when he has a choice. "Lets go" is for him to hop aboard and we will take a walk around into another room. This way he knows my intentions and when he has a choice. I don't know if this is the right way or the best way but so far its working for us. I also offer an arm or the flat top of my hand to step onto instead of fingers.

There is no " right" word. Sophie liked me saying " lets go". I don't say anything anymore.I made sure once she stepped up, I made her experience amaing.When she was starting to stepup, I took her on a tour of the house, introduced her to all our rooms, pictures of everyone and their history. LOTS of conversation, and certainly, returned her to her cage when uncomfortable.We did this over and over. If she was uncomfortable, back to her cage, quick kiss on her beak, thanked her for her time. Nancy

Offer her your wrist first with food in the other hand...If shes scared of your hand, offer her a stick first. Once she steps up on the stick, then to the hand and then shoulders...atleast that worked with my lovebirds..My CAG is still too scared of my wrist and hates the stick!