NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Age in taking care of an African Grey.

IPawd61

If you have done your homework and know what you are getting into then the answer is yes and it will be a lifelong committment, one where you may outlive your grey. You have to devote some time every day to the care of your grey, the bird needs time out of the cage, the proper diet, toys to keep them busy and medical care when needed which means money needs to be set aside for possible emergencies but even for routine care. What are your plans for after you graduate high school, are you planning to go to college, if so can you still care for your grey? There are a lot of considerations here and you must be dedicated to the health and welfare of this bird which means are you willing to do what it takes to share the companionship with one of these magnificient creatures for they deserve no less.

Some young people are excellent caretakers and some are not ready for that level of commitment and responsibility. At 10 my son was the primary caretaker of an Amazon, and part time caretaker of 2 Quakers and did an excellent job. He started taking care of pets when he was 3 and he willingly increased his responsibility as he grew older.

Absolutely!Ryan was 9 when we rescued Sunny, our sunconure. Actually, Sunny adopted him since he was at daycare where his babysitter was a foster mom. Sunny loved Ryan the moment he saw him. Bit everyone else including foster mom. Ryan is 21 now. The love affair continues between the two of them. I watch Sunny for Ryan while he is in college, but Sunny is ryans owner. Nancy

Heres my thoughts ... if she is willing and ready and doing the homework then I say YES. I think its great to teach our children the responsibilites and the caring for animals!!! :D

However, my neice got a sunconure just had to have it ... she was 15, in highschool. Had the cage in her room the works. For the first few months she gave that baby lots of attention maybe it was summer time and she was home more. But then she turned 16 ... school started again, she got a job, found a boyfriend, etc etc .... her time with the baby got less and less. The bird was locked in her room all day long, out of the cage, unsupervised. He ended up bored and plucked ALL his feathers out.

Her mother fearing for the birds well being, took the bird from her room, started feeding it fresh food (veges), put the cage up close to the window for sunshine, got the baby a friend, she is monitoring the humidy in the room now and bringing the cage out into the family room during the day so the bird has something to do and talk to cuz mom is home all day long and this bird has totally turned round.

She taught it how to chew "other things" then his feathers, bought him new toys .. the works. The neice is going off to college in less then a year so my GF is already resigned to the fact that the bird is going to be basically hers and not her daughters as it was originally intended. So with that story told....... I said sure your daughter can do it but you need to definately be there for "back up" purposes as your daughter grows and things in her life change for her.

Well, only you can really answer this question. There are many members who work 5 days a week and have a very wonderful relationship with their greys. You need to analyze your day and your commitments each day. Do you have the time and desire to spend at least 4 hours a day with your grey out of his cage? Greys need interaction and time to stretch their wings and their minds. I don't mean sitting watching your grey I mean around and close by so that you know what he is doing and where he is. A grey can destroy furniture, computers, electrical chords... just about anything they set their mind to destroy. Greys are very messing beasts, their cages need to be clean and their food fresh and replenished every day. Some greys mess up the water with food and poop and whatever. You have to be ever vigilant because your grey's life depends on it.

How have you been with other pets, a dog or cat, have you ever been responsible for a hamster or fish? When my kids were young I started them small with a goldfish then a hamster. Have you ever been responsible for a younger sibling, and how did that go? A grey or any parrot is a real commitment and one that can last years and years and years. Do you really want to commit to such a burden and responsibility at such a young age? Perhaps a canary or parakeet would be a better first choice just to see what it is like to care for a bird.

Think about it and read, read, read the many different things in these threads that members have problems with and need help with concerning their greys. Are you ready for these things?

I commend you for asking questions and I hope you find your answer.

There is no black and white answer. My only concern is that if the 12 year old is the primary care giver, what happens when it's time for college and marriage and life unforseen? Is now the time to make a lifelong commitment when all of life is ahead and so much is uncertain? So so many things lie ahead. If this is to be a family bird, that changes things, but if it is to be the lifelong partner of a 12 year old-- very serious soul searching is called for in my opinion. I have no doubts that a mature 12 year old with knowledge about and love and respect for a grey could be a greyt parront. But serious planning and thought should precede any decisions.

Edited by JeffNOK

I agree with Jeff. My experience is this: My 15 year old son wanted an African grey for Xmas. He did his research, knew more about them than I did. I refused as it was too long of a lifelong commitment for a 15 year old to understand. As Jeff said, their is girlfriends, driving, school events, college, and not knowing what path your life will take. Impossible at 15, and especially 12. He begged for 2 years. When he was 17, and after lots of talks with him, I decided to get him one for Xmas. Thus Talon entered our lives forever. She was a baby, although weaned, she cried for the first 2-3 weeks. My poor son, he would come to me say, mom, I fed her, I played with her, I cuddled her, I talked to her, I offered treats, , I did everything I could think of, I don't know what to do! So, I was left holding her and trying to co fort her. Looking back, I knew she was mourning the only home she knew and her flock before she cam to us.

Her cage was kept in his room. I felt sorry for her even tho I would leave on a bird video for her while he was in school all day. She was alone.....so I bought her a play cage for downstairs so she could be with me when I was home. I allowed her out for most of the day. When my son came home, he was apply to go up to his room ALONE and leave her downstairs for the Rst of us to enjoy.

She did sleep in his room, but mostly stayed downstairs where I cared for her. This lasted for about 3 years. Then I got divorced, moved my other kids out, but my then 18 year ok'd son wanted to stay in his room with his father. He said,, mom yyou should take Talon, after all you care for her and do all the work. I'm in school and she'll be all alone. She likes you better anyways. (something we can't control, who our bird decides to like)

So, Talon is with me, and although my son enjoys seeing her, she will go after him and bite him every chance she can. Almost like she will never forgive him for leaving her world. And it has been 5 years, no change in how she reacts to him.

So in hindsight, it was not a stupid idea to get Talon for my son, cause she has enriched ourlives so much, but I truly believe a parrot shouldn't be given to a younger less settled in their life person. The trauma can be too much for the parrot and will cause them to have baggage forever.

You are a wise girl to come and ask this question. Do think of the bird first as this bird has little to no choice in his or her transfer to a new home and human flock. This bird will be dependent on you completely for food, clean water, clean cage, toys and entertainment, social interaction and love. Ask yourself if you are up to these challenges, what to do if your family goes on vacation or holiday, what happens if this bird gets ill? If you have these answers and your families support then go meet a grey and remember they are not very often a cuddly bird when they become adult but they are very smart and rather sensitive bird and may even bite when trying to communicate how they feel. I am impressed with your attitude but only you and your family will make these decisions so give it some very deep thought.

I think yes if she really really wants to take care of one.. If its just a pass time for her and she will expect you to do all the cleaning and taming, then its better not to get one. In fact kids have more time and I guess even the CAG would like her.. but make sure shes read a lot about them since there are too many things to consider before getting a CAG and requires a lot of patience too.