NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My new home.

spjchick

It's me Pippin the grey,

Just three days ago I flew to my new home (not on my own, on an airplane silly!) I don't recognize any of the faces and I miss my old flock. There are two other birds here, one of them is green and grey, the other is green and peach, both of them little compared to me. I like to watch them play and eat. They have not paid me much attention though, and that's fine. This lady who keeps telling me she is my mom always gives me something good to eat. It feels good to have something warm in my crop.

Just a few minutes ago she offered me a cashew. I screamed at her, yanked the cashew from her fingers and threw it. That'll teach her!!! Maybe she isn't all that bad though... I'll make up my mind about that later though.

Edited by spjchick

Greetings Pippin, Joe here....I understand the feelings of frustration and homesickness very well my new friend. Being thrust in a new place within the space/time continuum can be very unsettling to say the least. All the new sights, sounds, not to mention the new species that one must become accustomed to. (And they wonder why we are so cranky!) I was once where you were...I was a rescue from a terrible home. My baggage exceeded the flight limit (a little tongue-in-beak humor) and it took two earth years before I fully trusted these strange creatures we call human. All I can say is give them time...they will try to purchase your cooperation with treats. Take them as your due...open your mind to new experiences and your wings to new adventures. One of the most important things that my flock leaders did for me was the hours they spent just talking to me without expecting me to step up, reading to me and interacting with me by bringing other species over and introducing them to me so I was a little bit more familiar with them. They never pushed me to go at anything more than my own pace those first few months and as I got to know them, I began to venture out and interact with them too. Now, we play all day and I even stand up to that Greenie who can be the bane of my existence at times....like now...No! Salsa! I'm on....

Hola chiquita Pippin, Salsa here....welcome aboard! Did you really throw that cashew? I NEVER pass up food...although I may throw it away after I try it first...hehehe! Wait to see what they bribe you with...as you go along they will get more creative. Hold out for the good stuff...but then again, I'm not as stuffy or picky as you Greys as I am an Orange-wing Amazon. I'd watch out for those Quakers or Conures if I were you...our humans have a little Grey-cheek Conure that's meaner than a Jabanero pepper on the way out...oooohhh, can I say that? Well, I have to go...lunch and snacks are coming...I never pass up a free meal (and the other plates in the other cages are sooooo good!!) Talk to us soon....keep us up on the news! Adios!