NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can you get your parrot sick?

AryoAsh

I believe when I was younger in school I learned that normally diseases that affect humans would have to mutate to affect an animal. But this is something I heard over 10 years ago, so I don't know exactly. But I've had a cold the past 3 days, basically laying in bed. But I haven't let my Timneh, Greycie out for the past 3 days. And I could tell obviously she was gettin cagey. I like to take her out for at least a few hours a day. But anyhow I finally let her out today but I'm not sure if it's safe for me to pet her or kiss her on the head without passing germs.

So does anyone know if you can pass your sickness onto your parrot? She keeps landing on me and wnats to be scratched behind her neck, but I don't want to risk getting her sick.

Some viruses which are transmitted via blood to blood & saliva to blood can be passed between species such as West Nile & Rabies viruses. Bird flu H5N1 is a flu mutation that has recently become an inter-species threat. Given the known rate of flu mutation, more are likely to develop.

It is generally accepted that birds won't catch your cold. But there are different bacteria, etc in our saliva that isn't good for them. Since I'm just drippy when I have a cold, I try to stay clear so as not to pass anything on. Then, when one of my guys start sneezing & coughing, I'm sure it's just communication, not contamination.

There are many illness 's that can be transferred between parrot and human and visa-versa. It's very important to keep dirty/used utensils away from our fids, always use a clean spoon when feeding them. Ebola [e-coli is correct] and Salmonella can be deadly to our companions...A cold in general may not affect them, but secondary infections can. When washing your hands use hand soap, not Anti-bacterial soap because you have both good and bad germs, and your fid could have a reaction to the ingredients in the anti-bac soap.

Edited by Jayd

Jay I believe you meant e-coli! Rather than Ebola not many of us live in areas affected with Ebola which iss often due to eating undercooked primates and is super deadly to humans.

Thank you so much, both names had 3 out of 5 of the same letters, lol....I can always count on you to cover me......Thanks Jay

Edited by Jayd

Normal "flora" that thrives on our skin is gram positive staphloccocus. NOY harmful to our birds. Normal mouth and saliva bacteria, is also not harmful to our birds. BUT.... normal gut bacteria, e-coli, is harmful to our birds. Only found in our mouth, if we haven't washed our hands well after a bowel movement.I know.... gross! But fact. A good habit for all that we have followed religiously here in our home, is to wash your hands with soap and water the moment you walk in our home and before handling birds. Nancy

Gram negative bacteria are a hazard and can be transmitted to our feathered companions. Salmonella, Pseudomonas, Cyano bacteria, Pasturella for example. So I only do the top of the head kisses not only to preserve my lips for future use but to keep my flock safe-err on the side of caution. They are also able to contract TB from those of us affected, "

Definition: Tuberculosis is a zoonotic disease that can infect both birds and humans. Avian Tuberculosis is airborne, and infections are caused by inhaling organisms shed in fecal matter.

Symptoms of Avian Tuberculosis include a swollen abdomen, weight loss, diarrhea, impaired breathing, and increase volume of the white urates in a bird's droppings. If you notice any of these symptoms, seek immediate veterinary attention as this disease can be fatal.

Pronunciation: ay-vee-ahn toob-er-cue-low-sis

Examples:

Avian Tuberculosis can be passed to people, just as people infected with tuberculosis can pass their illness on to birds."

Absolutely! Hand sanitiers are for emergency use only, sorry for the mispelling. still trying to find the letter that sophie stole and hid. Soap and water. Always! Nancy

Sophie your parrot or child??, Echo my Quaker has taken every key off my laptop keyboard several times, mind you he doesn't hide the keys. just leaves them in a heaping mess and takes me ages to get them all back in the right spot lol.

Yep I agree soap and water is probably the best and safest hand cleaner, used properly for a full 2 min suggested wash will make it work even better!!! many wash their hands a million times a day but many also do not wash the right way and its only effective if done right.