NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need some positive reasurance

aw64

Hi guys, I'v got Alfie who is now nearly 9 months old, I have had him since he was 10 weeks.

Im having problems with him when he is out of cage which I try to do as much as I can, he still insistes on being on my shoulder or head I remove him but he either moves to the middle of my back or bites me, can come sharpe but no blood......YET!, I have tried shaking him off well not shaking but moving my shoulder/ head in a way that he will fly off but two seconds later his back, we do get good times he is a real babe but when ever I try to move him from me or the TV which is ment to be out of bounds he bites, it is also getting very hard to return him to his cage, i can get him to fly to me but he will be off or out of reach as soon as he has had his treat, this sadly has resulted in him not being able to come out early morning before I go to work as I cannot be sure I will get him back in time for me to get to work on time.

He will sit with me and have tickles around his neck, he has even learnt to wave, turn round and shake hands on command, he has a play stand with lots of things on but will only stay on it if I am sat in the same room doing nothing, as soon as I move or pick something up to do he is there and will bite if I try to prevent him getting hold of lap top, book, paper or what ever it happens to be, i dont mind him following me into different rooms and will take him upstairs when I'm up there he will stand ontop of doors which is great but its only until he can see a clear flight plan to land on me, I have at times aloud him to stay on me while I'm doing tasks but now he bits my shoulder which really hurts, is this all normal behaviour will he grow out of it, I really dont want to have his wings clipped but am starting to wonder if this is the only way he will get as much time out of the cage as I would like him to have.

It is the first time I have had a parrot and guess I just need to no he is trying his luck and pushing me, thanks for reading hope I haven't board you too much.

Don't take it personally. I think change is to be expected and unfortunately, that often means things become more difficult. I believe that as our fids mature and become more confident, they will push buttons. Of course they generally get the biggest response from the most negative behaviors. If you think about it, how many times do we go running to them or frantically offer a distraction, when they are being good? BUT...as soon as they misbehave, we are all over it. Lola (my Amazon) is now 7 months and I have definitely seen a change in her confidence level as well. Caging has become more of a challenge for us too. I have begun to give her 3 chances, with verbal instruction if she still flies away and acts uncooperative , I simply pick her up and place her in her cage. You are not alone, frustrated maybe, but definitely NOT alone. I suspect things may get worse before they get better but in the big picture, this is just a small blip on the Grey timeline.

Hi, part of your problem is that if you let Alfie sit on your shoulder sometimes, how is he do know when he is not allowed to sit there? You must be consistent if you want your grey to understand the rules. I only have one parrot, Ana Grey, who is allowed to sit on my shoulder. She does not bite. Louie, the zon, loves my ears and Sterling Gris, the CAG, thinks I am the potty plant. So they are not allowed ever. If they fly to my shoulder they are immediately tossed off. I have boings and perches in each of my rooms that the birds are allowed in. They know where they are to sit or be removed. As for being returned to the cages. I do not feed my parrots except in their cages, just an occasional treat outside the cage. So when it's nighttime I just place their foods in their food bowls in their cages and they go in without too much trouble. You have to be consistent for route to work in a household. Just like with kids. Clipping birds is a personal choice even my canary gets out of cage flight time. He has to follow the rules also. No food but in the cage so he returns for night. He is not tame, I can't handle my Captain Caruso, the canary.

All good advice. I am sure he is trying to push your buttons and playing you to see what he can get way with. I would spin around fast if he is on your shoulder EVERY time he bites and let him know that's a no no with your voice and your discontent. He wants something from you, maybe attention, or just to be a part of what you are doing. When my shoulder birds act up, I talk to them and explain to them everything I am doing as I do it, or just talk. It seems to distract them from biting and they take more interest in my voice.

I know what you mean is the morning as once in a while one of my 3 will go thru a stage of not wanting to go back into they're cage. This lasts for several days until they realize I am consistent and NEVER LET them win. Yes, I have been late for work because of it, but it's necessary for them. Usually times like that, I give them a forbidden item such as a pencil. They love them and I tease and distract them with it all the way to their cage, and yes, I have allowed them to chew it. Sometimes a cookie works too.

Usually when one of my birds starts misbehaving and I am at my wits end, ready to do something drastic, I find its usually the peak and in a few days, the behaviour changes for the better. Hang in there, get creative and be consistent with your rules. He will learn after pushing you to your limits! Good luck and keep us posted.

I also talk to my birds as though they are children. I tell them things., such as, no, you can not be on my shoulder if you are going to bite me, or get off me. Or you be a good bird or you,will,have to leave. They DO in time understand those phrases, and behave. I always say the same things, again consistency....

Misty is allowed to be on my shoulder almost any time but there are rare occasions when I wan't him off but he simply doesn't want to cooperate. He retreats down my back as does your Alfie. What I do is to back up against a wall so he has no option but to go back on my shoulder and he will then step on to my hand with no problem. Luckily he has no interest in getting on my head. I am grateful for this because my hair is a bit thin on top. Not much protection from his talon tips. :eek:

Steve n Misty

well not to bad today, battle with TV as a stand, removed from shoulder every time he landed which was alot, tried backing up to wall when in postion on my back that worked a treat, even got me a bit of a telling off from Alfie, ummmm new tactics I hear him mutter, but I must say spinning round sent me a bit dizzy but not giving up, and of course we did have some one to one time with head tickles, its a battle of wills and I did explain I'm willing to meet him half way on these problems, I wont keep spinning so long as he stays off my shoulder, have any of you ever wondered what normal people would think if they could see us humans preform in our homes with our darlings, i have a golden retriver and training him was soooooo simple and dont think I ever did things like spin round the room.

Good job today! Seems you need to perfect the spin to one revolution tho..... See, I am a dance and Zumba instructor...so let me help you with your technique, :)

First you need to Spot when you spin. Find one object eye level, and look at it as long as you can as you start your spin, then when you can't turn your head any further, snap it around fast and find the object you were looking at. This will help with balance also, and you only need to do one spin.

Second, as you spin you must whip your shoulder a bit so your bird flies off! Otherwise you will have to keep spinning until HE gets so dizzy either you or he falls off! Lol

Your doing great!!! Keep it up!!!

I just read all of this and what great advice. My Chico just wants my shoulder too even after just having him for 1 week! I am trying hard to keep him in my hands only for now. If he tries to go up my arm I make him go to my other hand. If that doesnt work, to his playtop he goes. This is the best site.... great advice everyone!

have any of you ever wondered what normal people would think if they could see us humans preform in our homes with our darlings.

I remember a couple of years ago a member (sorry I can't remember who) had a bird that kept trying to land on top of their head. they had to duck and weave every time they heard wings flapping for a while. Someone also tried wearing on of those headbands with the long springs and pom poms on their head to make their heads scary. Best to close the blinds at these times! lol

Try putting somethis Alfie is afraid of on top of the TV. Sometimes big stuffed animals do the trick.