NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Brand New Grey, Brand New Cage

spjchick

My New CAG is flying to me next week and I have prepared for everything I can think of. I bought her a nice new AE 36x28 playtop cage and have stocked it full of toys and perches... I have heard that greys can be shy or timid when putting new toys in their cage. can even be afraid of them, from what I read on the message board. Should I remove all but a few toys and allow her to get acclimated to her new house? Or should I just keep it as is for now and see how she acts in her new cage. The breeder said she loves to play.

I want her to feel welcome and safe, and feel like I have done everything else.

Congrats on your new arrival next week and do not put so many toys that your baby cannot move around without banging into them, just a few to start out with and then you can rotate them out from time to time, it helps to keep them from getting bored with the same toys. She needs to be able to open up her wings and flap without hitting them, I hope something with a bell is one of her toys as most greys love bells, my favorite is the stainless steel heavy duty one for they cannot tear it up but love to hear it ring, my Josey would be lost without hers.

Thanks, I'll get some pictures posted as soon as I get them. I removed all but 2 toys and a foraging wheel. I do have a bell in there. It's a nice bell, surrounded by some latex ball with holes in it, reminds me of a buckyball. Anyway, It definitely isn't bird proof, I'd say bird resistant.:D

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are doing great! Sophie my grey, is not really good with toys. She is twelve now. Her favorite toy, my 21 year old, is coming home next week. She talks to him on the phone twice a week and is thrilled.I haven't told her he is coming home( not sure she would understand). He is her Christmas present!I'm going to try and record it. Nancy