NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Considering Two Air Filters: Any Thoughts?

FirstPenguin

People on Amazon seem to find this Winix air filter a better "bang for your buck" over the rabbit air filters.

http://www.amazon.com/Winix-WAC9500-Ultimate-PlasmaWave-Technology/dp/B004VGIBZK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I've read many of the opinions on here. I know; they're just big fans with a bunch of socks packed on top. I get that. However I live in a city near some major construction and will surely benefit from such a device no matter what fan and fluffy combination I buy. I mainly want to reduce the dust in the space for both human and avian benefit.

http://www.amazon.com/Filtrete-Ultra-Clean-Purifier-FAP02-RS/dp/B000I4NG22/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1354041562&sr=1-2&keywords=filtrete+air+filters

I already have one of these 3M filtrete models in my bedroom. Which seems to help keep the dust down. The smaller model I could afford two of. They are small enough that I could place one on either side of our main living space.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

No matter what filter you pick, just remember that all filter information from the company is aimed at human use, not avian use. All of these air filters will take in the dust that constantly stays afloat and slowly moves around. In certain light in the room, you can see this dust floating around. All homes or apartments have this type of dust whether a parrot lives there or not. Eventually it settles on things. Any air filter works on the principle of taking in that dust when it gets close to the suction areas. The suction functions on air filters aren't strong and the way they work is by the dust eventually floating around those suction areas and being pulled in. When a person buys an air filter, there's usually information on the box concerning the smallest dust size that it will pull in. Rarely do any of these machines talk about Parrot Dander which is the heaviest type of pet dander that exists. The 2 species that have the worse dander are cockatoos and greys. Parrot dander doesn't float around because it's too heavy and very messy. It goes downward and lands on surrounding articles such as furniture, their own cages, electronic equipment. That's why many people buy extremely strong exhaust fans, position them by windows which are located near cages so that the parrot dander gets sucked in the exhaust fan. Even doing that doesn't really strongly lessen the amount of dusting or vaccuming that needs to be done. The exhaust fan works on the same principle as when it's used in a freshly painted room to suck out the paint odor. An air purifier can't do that.

And as far as NY dust is concerned, it's no different or more strong or less strong then other places. I lived in the Village, Chelsea, 76th street and Throggs Neck in the bronx for more than 50 yrs so I know the quality of the air.

Edited by Dave007