NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Not sure who to thank, Dan or Dave?

murfchck

I enjoyed the Thanksgiving with a parrot thread that Dave wrote and Dan reposted so much that while cooking and living the thread, i sent it to my mother in law. She enjoyed it so much she sent it to her list of friends. Then it happened, i somehow received an email from one of her friends asking it we wanted another.... No, we didn't think so. So i called the lady who said that the bird bit her ear over a year ago and she has been so afraid of him she doesn't let him out of the cage. She didn't blame the bird for the bite but couldn't get past the fear. Lord love a duck... Meet Gus...

20121126_194239-1.jpg

Edited by murfchck

Gus is beautiful. I am so glad your sharing of dave's post resulted in Gus finding a home that will love him and give the time, attention and love he surely desires. Cockatoo's are a velcro bird and want noting more than to be with you. I am looking forward to updates on this. :)

He sure will be velco. Last night was his first night here and he already is showing so much personality. He is so use to being in his cage we thought that would be his comfort area so we just let him relax. He wanted out to me so bad, lifting his little foot up, so i opened the door to see if i could pet him. He bolted out, hanging on the door with his back to me and stuck out his foot for a step up so i put my arm there for him and he put his foot on my arm but wouldn't take his other foot off the cage, then leaned back into me. I got to love him from the top of his head to almost the tip of his toes. Bringing Gus home took all of 2 hours. Spoke with the woman at 5pm, heard Gus's sad story and the "wish we could take him" words that i had planned on saying turned into " when can we meet Gus" and we were at her home by 6 and home with him at 7:30. Such a whirlewind, we had just broken down our extra cage Sunday and also our metal stand!

I enjoyed the Thanksgiving with a parrot thread that Dave wrote and Dan reposted so much that while cooking and living the thread, i sent it to my mother in law. She enjoyed it so much she sent it to her list of friends. Then it happened, i somehow received an email from one of her friends asking it we wanted another.... No, we didn't think so. So i called the lady who said that the bird bit her ear over a year ago and she has been so afraid of him she doesn't let him out of the cage. She didn't blame the bird for the bite but couldn't get past the fear. Lord love a duck... Meet Gus...

I/m not trying to put a damper here. Just a fact. Just keep in mind that once a bird does that, the next time is easier for the bird to do that. The bird had to be in the shoulder area to bite the ear. So remember that this TOO is in the classification of a No Shoulder bird. The next time could be the neck or lips or cheek. A TOO can deliver a nasty bite. The bird means no harm. It's just that body parts are attractive to that bird. This subject has been talked about many times on this board.

Edited by Dave007

I/m not trying to put a bad feeling here. Just a fact. Just keep in mind that once a bird does that, the next time is easier for the bird to do that. The bird had to be in the shoulder area to bite the ear. So remember that this TOO is in the classification of a No Shoulder bird. The next time could be the neck or lips or cheek. A TOO can deliver a nasty bite. The bird means no harm. It's just that body parts are attractive to that bird. This subject has been talked about many times on this board.

I think it all depends on the bird. It would certainly be wise to discourage shouldering until you know Gus's temperament. A few years ago there were specific occasions when Misty bit my ear. I had been preparing food and he got fed up trying to get my attention. This resulted in instant cage time for him. He very quickly learned two things. One was that ear biting or any biting for that matter resulted in instant cage time. Only for a few minutes but he got the message. The other was that he only has to nudge my ear to get my instant attention! :eek: These days I have every confidence that my ears are safe and I can trust Misty on my shoulder. It may make a difference that Misty is my only bird and we are very good friends and know each other well.

Steve n Misty

I/m not trying to put a damper here. Just a fact. Just keep in mind that once a bird does that, the next time is easier for the bird to do that. The bird had to be in the shoulder area to bite the ear. So remember that this TOO is in the classification of a No Shoulder bird. The next time could be the neck or lips or cheek. A TOO can deliver a nasty bite. The bird means no harm. It's just that body parts are attractive to that bird. This subject has been talked about many times on this board.

I am not a fan of any bird on my shoulder, i have grown fond of my eyes, ears and nose! When she got bit she was picking him up from the floor where her grandson had put him down when her house was full of people. He started panicing and ran up her arm and got her. Thats why i said she didn't blame him for the bite it just scared her. An umbrella was our first big bird many moons ago so it is really comfortable with him! We have many challanges ahead as he is not trained to step up and even the perches scare him as he was poked with sticks from his first family. The lady i got him from said she tried to lessen his fear of them but could not do much more. He has attached himself to me and trusts me to handle him but flips out if my husband gets near him.

I am going to start a thread with his progress in the other birds room, but here is a picture of us tonight! Just one day, my Guster just wanted someone to love him and who he can love back!

IMAG0560.jpg