NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

a little uneasy

jbsmomto1

I still do feed him at night, and probably will forever. Echo has always gotten a night feed and he is almost 3 in March. I look forward to that time with my boys as much as they do. he wasn't weaned when I got him and I knew that but I have also weaned a few birds before so it wasn't new to me. he is offered his pellets as well as fresh food 3x a day plus his night feed, so he does eat a lot and he is much better and trying everything you offer him, he may not like it, but at least he usually tries it. Jay your opinion is not much different than my own really. Sometimes he refuses his night feed and I take that as a good sign, Echo on the other hand never refuses, he might take a very little bit but he won't refuse. So you never ever have to worry about me not feeding him right or offering it, ever. Most of the time, my birds eat better than I do. His and Echo's reg routine is as follows:

Breakfast they get their mash (sweet potatoes, apples, veggies, flax seed and palm oil) warmed up.

about noon they get a dish of veggies usually fresh sometimes frozen, with some brown rice or wheat pasta

at dinnner they get anything off our plates that is healthy for them

at 7pm they get their bedtime hand feed. Than at 8:30 they go to bed, only to start the routine over again the next day lol.

I think they eat really well and they always have pellets and water available to them

jbsmomto1 Echo is almost three. He needs to go to bed at 8pm. NO night feeding. You shouldn't plan on feeding him forever late at nite.He is three. Would you get up for a three year old toddler to feed them? NO! Time to teach baby to be a big boy and develop sleeping habits. Nancy

Why not? what harm is it causing? and yes if my 3 year old woke up hungry, I would absolutely feed her and have done on several occasions even at 9 yrs old.

I am for one, always there to develop and foster care for all birds. I am also more liberal, don't close or lock their doors. This was the deal I made with my kids years ago, to accept adopting birds. When you continue to allow them to get up in the middle of the night for food, you are stagnating their growth. It is no longer " accepting" their needs, but limiting them for the growth they should be displaying. Part of growth, is following rules and expectations. Bedtime number one! If you don't establish routine, you will spend more time focusing on " bad" behavior, which I promise you will come your way. This will eventually cause delays for your bird. Nancy

ok I am so confused....i never said he got up in the middle of the night to eat, not sure where you are seeing he has or that I do, I said that yes if my daughter wakes up because she in hungry I would feed her...they get fed before bed, 7pm is NOT a late night feeding. I fail to see how this special time with him is harming him. Nor do I understand why you feel there is no bedtime routine..they both gets fed at about 7 and echo gets his quaker song sung to him, Storm gets either a pine nut or an almond, twinkle twinkle litte start sing to him and than bed at 8:30..this IS their routine....I don't understand why you think there would be behavioral issues b/c I hand feed them at night. I also do not close the boys cages up unless it's at night or I am not home, they are free to play on their cage tops though and I often take them along while I get my daily chores done....

ETA : to correct palm nut to pine nut!

Edited by jbsmomto1

I'm not sure where that was going, Nancy will have to address what she meant. However, I have a question. Where do you get your palm nuts? mysafebirdstore.com has been out since I've been checking!

sorry did I say palm nuts? I meant pine nuts, those I get at the local grocery store. Sorry about that.

Palm nuts resource, very nice lady. thecozynestbox@gmail.com

Different viewpoints, different homes no one way is universal but I think Jay is right, disciplining with food not something I support in caring for birds. Bed time at our house varies with daylight length. Too's have to get their 10 hrs or more of beauty sleep or no one else is happy, the Greys don't seem to require quite as much sleep.

Edited by Greywings

jbsmomto1 and all other concerned members...Nancy has given misinformation. There is no scientific or other basis to support her findings. Please continue taking care of your companion as you are doing now. You are doing nothing wrong and are supporting proper care. Keep on doing what you are doing. You know in your heart what is right. All parrots need to be kept on the "Abundant Feeding method" with more than enough food available to them at any given time. If a Parrot, let alone a Grey is hungry, feed them.....A Grey (especially them) can develop a phobia about not having or getting enough food, to the point of dying because of the fear. Lack of abundant feeding can also cause stunted physical growth and affect them mentally. This can lead to further complications throughout their life. We chose the dark side of avian companionship, taking in rescues, physically and mentally handicapped birds due to abuse, lack of proper care, proper diet, exposure to drug use, and owners who failed to care for them due to misinformation. The deaths and suffering we have witnessed will mark us forever. To have a bird die in your hands because someone just didn't feed them right is beyond even talking about. Thank you, Jay

jbsmomto1 and all other concerned members...Nancy has given misinformation. There is no scientific or other basis to support her findings. Please continue taking care of your companion as you are doing now. You are doing nothing wrong and are supporting proper care. Keep on doing what you are doing. You know in your heart what is right. All parrots need to be kept on the "Abundant Feeding method" with more than enough food available to them at any given time. If a Parrot, let alone a Grey is hungry, feed them.....A Grey (especially them) can develop a phobia about not having or getting enough food, to the point of dying because of the fear. Lack of abundant feeding can also cause stunted physical growth and affect them mentally. This can lead to further complications throughout their life. We chose the dark side of avian companionship, taking in rescues, physically and mentally handicapped birds due to abuse, lack of proper care, proper diet, exposure to drug use, and owners who failed to care for them due to misinformation. The deaths and suffering we have witnessed will mark us forever. To have a bird die in your hands because someone just didn't feed them right is beyond even talking about. Thank you, Jay

Thank you very much, this makes me feel alot better as I was worried about the 7pm feeding tonight and now will go ahead with it knowing that I have been ok all this time. I love that special time with both boys and really didn't want to give it up for fear of hurting my sweet echo bird

That is a baby grey BEGGING for food and attention!

It's obviously a very young bird, and I'm curious about the history. How old is he? He is acting like a recently weaned baby that is looking for food from its mother. At this age, they equate attention to a full crop of food, and if they aren't getting it, they will beg as seen in your video.

That is a baby grey BEGGING for food and attention!

It's obviously a very young bird, and I'm curious about the history. How old is he? He is acting like a recently weaned baby that is looking for food from its mother. At this age, they equate attention to a full crop of food, and if they aren't getting it, they will beg as seen in your video.

well this video is a month old now, he is now almost 6 months old. No he wasn't weaned fully when I got him, he is now but I still feed him at night b/c we both enjoy it. I will probably feed him at night for his lifetime as I have done for My quaker parrot. It's my favorite time of day :)