NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How do I safely convert to a different pellet?

kitt4kaz

Felix is 5 months old and was weaned onto Zupreem Fruitblend pellets. I have been trying to convert him to either Roudybush or Harrisons for a few weeks now. He won't touch the Harrisons at all.

I have been mixing the Zupreem with Roudybush at about a 50/50 ratio and he just picks out the fruity pieces. Should I just try giving him Roudybush by itself and closely monitor his weight? How much weight loss is safe?

I have tried soaking the pellets in apple juice and water. Still won't eat them.

And is Roudybush or Harrison's really that much healthier than Zupreem fruit blend? I've read that the dyes are bad.

He also gets birdy mash every morning and evening which he eats some of but doesn't just tear into it. He also gets fresh fruits and veggies everyday.

I was giving him a seed mix everyday in a separate bowl but I noticed that he was only eating the seed and not his pellets (not even the Zupreem) so I haven't given him any seed in a few days.

I think the brown color of the pellets is what turns him off. I've noticed that he won't even touch cheerios or even nuts that are near that color.

I don't want to starve him so please give me some advice!

I too got a fledgling that was on Zupreme Fruit Blend. I feel the big thing for them is texture. It seems like all the zupreme pellets are manufactured the same way and share a similar texture. I switched my 7 month old to Zupreme natural and give him a mix of zupreme natural and totally organic pellets. I've yet to see a significant dent in the TOPs I've been giving him. At least for now he's eating something with out the heavy dyes.

Jake is a picky one too. He liked the Zupreem Nut but that made him itch. We've tried all the Zupreem kinds along with 2 varieties of Pretty Bird, Higgins and Harrisons. So far all he eat is Zupreem Fruit. Like you I am not a fan of the dye but I can't make him eat something he doesn't like. I'm still trying to find a local source for the Hagan Tropican pellets to try them. They have the fruit flavor and smell without all the coloring.

Jake is a picky one too. He liked the Zupreem Nut but that made him itch. We've tried all the Zupreem kinds along with 2 varieties of Pretty Bird, Higgins and Harrisons. So far all he eat is Zupreem Fruit. Like you I am not a fan of the dye but I can't make him eat something he doesn't like. I'm still trying to find a local source for the Hagan Tropican pellets to try them. They have the fruit flavor and smell without all the coloring.

MySafeBirdStore.com has many of the hagen products sold bulk by the pound. I sometimes order only a pound or two of something with a larger order just to try it.

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=4116&product=4130