NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New african grey owner and in need of some advice

New african grey owner and in need of some advice

Greetings.I have been reading through some posts in the forum and i am amazed at how helpful everyone is.My name is Ursula and i am in south africa. i purchased a grey 3 weeks ago and he is now between 5 & 6 weeks of age. (i know i only read afterwards that i should by it when it has been weaned.I have him on 3feedings per day at the moment as i work during the day and go home lunch time to feed him. he eats about 30cc each feeding and looks healthy.I want to know for how long i should keep him on 3 feedings per day amd when should i start introducing other food and water?Thanks in advance for your advice

Yes we do firmly believe in allowing the breeder to wean a baby bird before it goes to its new home but you are not the first one we have encountered from South Africa that has bought one so young but it seems to be so easy to do so but it will never stop until people stop buying them that way. Now I will get off my soapbox.

I personally have never handfed a baby bird, all mine were purchased weaned but we do have a lot of members who have done it before and there are many threads in the nursury room that should provide you with most of the answers to your questions. I would think he may be ready to start nibbling on solid foods so try some suggested in the threads and by all means keep him on the full feedings until he starts refusing them, this is the abundance feeding way and it allows the bird to tell you when he is ready to stop, probably the night feeding will be the last one he will want when it gets to one feeding a day.

Pictures would be welcome if you have some you would share with us.