NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

No feathers in chin area

flowerchik

Zeke is four months old. He has a bare area (between 1/2 to 3/4 inch) in his lower mandible and chin area. It starts right where the mandible meets the skin You can only see it when he lifts his head straight up. Is this normal for young Greys? I have tried to find pics of young greys' chins and necks on the internet, to compare it to, but am not having any luck.

Zeke is four months old. He has a bare area (between 1/2 to 3/4 inch) in his lower mandible and chin area. It starts right where the mandible meets the skin You can only see it when he lifts his head straight up. Is this normal for young Greys? I have tried to find pics of young greys' chins and necks on the internet, to compare it to, but am not having any luck.

Yes, this is perfectly normal bird anatomy. Many first time owners think there's a "hole" there and panic, but it's not a hole, it's closed and it's not much different from what WE have! There's no feathers there. Go ahead and push your finger into the area just beneath your chin. Other than the skin there - you can almost feel directly into your mouth, to under your tongue.

Our 'gap' looks different because our "beak" (upper mandible) is shaped differently to allow for these pesky teeth. Birds don't have teeth. BUT - the upper inside of their beak has a graded 'grinding' surface that helps them break things up - very much like what we do with teeth.

lol wait til you see the holes he has on each side of his head, those are ears and there is no reason to call the vet in a panic like I did many years ago with my first parrot LOL< pretty sure the vet thought I should be committed ...and yes that bald patch is normal...called the vet about that as well years ago thinking he was pulling out feathers,,,DUH impossible for him to reach that part but i my state of panic I didn't think about that part lol.