NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

behaviour

KatieUsher

hi all, cleo has been really good lately but the last couple of days when she has been out she has bit my partner as he was passing her toy and has starting going to bite my ears when she is sat on my shoulder and also started nipping my arms.. does anyone have any advice on why she could be acting like this? thanks :P

Your bird isn't a shoulder bird. Many birds do that and many don't. When they do that, it's time to eliminate the attractive areas (shoulders, ears, cheeks, face, neck) All these areas can be easily reached by a bird and it's hard to stop them from doing it. ***does anyone have any advice on why she could be acting like this*** ------Mother Nature.

I used to take it personal...wondering what I had done to cause this type of behavior. I have completely resolved to the reality that it "is what it is"...LOL Every day is different. On the days when Shadow is more obviously bratty, I often comment to her as such, "your being a bratty girl today!" and keep on walking. Gotta love a grey.

Your bird isn't a shoulder bird. Many birds do that and many don't. When they do that, it's time to eliminate the attractive areas (shoulders, ears, cheeks, face, neck) All these areas can be easily reached by a bird and it's hard to stop them from doing it. ***does anyone have any advice on why she could be acting like this*** ------Mother Nature.

hi dave.. what do mean by shes not a shoulder bird?

hi dave.. what do mean by shes not a shoulder bird?

That means that the bird has shown constant interest in biting cheeks, biting a nose, biting lips, neck areas, nipping at earlobes, pulling at neck jewelry, pulling hair. A bird can do all of these things or just one or two things above. No matter what, a bird that does this can't be trusted to be in an area where it's difficult for the owner to see the bird. Also, a bird like this eventually finds a way to avoid being stopped---example----the bird is on the shoulder, the owner wants to take it off the shoulder, the bird then scoots to the other shoulder behind the person. The more the person tries to catch the bird, the more the chance of getting bitten because the bird is quite happy up there and doesn't wanna be removed. A bird who does these types of things above is known as a no shoulder bird.

Many people here have that type of bird and they've understood that shoulders are a no no.

Edited by Dave007

Whats the best way to remove the bird?

Just lightly swat the bird off your shoulder. Constantly do this when she gets to your shoulder. The bird eventually get the ideaA person needs to show dissapline concerning a creature who can easily get the upper hand.

((((((Sorry, I accidenty removed your question. I hope that what I put in the quote covers what you asked)))))

Edited by Dave007

All my birds are allowed to be on my shoulder. I always keep my face away. Occasionally they will try and bite my ears, when they try that, I quickly move my head and tell them, no biting. They now know what that means, and if they chose to ignore me, being a dancer, I spin around quickly and send them flying off like they are on a fast merry go round. Works every time.

As Dave so well pointed out, some birds are great on the shoulder, some are not. There are many people suffering some horrendous face, ear and neck injuries from not realizing this until it was too late.

I will say, there is a big difference between a beaking or nibble compared to a bird that actually bites your ear or cheek. Only you can know the difference by what you feel. My grey or conure will nibble lovingly, but never bite those areas. If they did, they would never be allowed on the shoulder again.

Edited by danmcq

Let me tell you, when they bite seriously... it HURTS. As someone above mentioned, they can cause serious injury. Maverick also is a big fan of ears and cannot help himself when he is sitting on my shoulder (sometimes even on the back of the couch by my head) so he isn't allowed on my shoulder. My breeder has said what others here have- some birds just cannot be shoulder birds. Doesn't mean you are doing something wrong, they simply are all different.

Rosie is NOT a shoulder bird at home. She tries very hard to be the "big bird" and dominate the situation every time, by nipping, stretching her head above mine, etc. However, when we go in public, she is very shy and easily intimidated, so she is allowed on my shoulder as long as she respects my space while she's up there. If she doesn't, it is a quick "step up" from the shoulder and then she hangs out on my wrist instead. It all depends on the bird and their relationship with you. If they are being disrespectful and nagging at your body parts the whole time they are up there, then they should not be allowed to shoulder.

I am going to have to try the dance move sometime! Rosie is always recalcitrant when she has hit the floor, and it seems a bit easier than putting your hand in possible jeopardy with a sassy bird!

• 2 weeks later...

i dont let marco on the shoulder either only becuz I dont trust her shes still a baby and still "learning" growing and changing. not only that I cant see her like that and I just dont like the feeling of not knowing what might set her off from one moment to another! I like my ears/nose/cheeks and eyes lol. just gotta be careful and follow the signs of what your bird is doing!

As Dave so well pointed out, some birds are great on the shoulder, some are not. There are many people suffering some horrendous face, ear and neck injuries from not realizing this until it was too late.

I will say, there is a big difference between a beaking or nibble compared to a bird that actually bites your ear or cheek. Only you can know the difference by what you feel. My grey or conure will nibble lovingly, but never bite those areas. If they did, they would never be allowed on the shoulder again.

I believe this is probably the best responce I've ever heard. We personally don't believe that punishment is reward but a abuse. If you don't try you'll never know.

Dorian will probably never be allowed on my shoulder. He's too moody and unpredictable and I need to be able to read his body language. It's not a punishment, it's just a reality of his personality. Takes some consistency on your part. All greys are stubborn, some more than others, so it may take some time to get the message across, but if you like sporting the dual-lobed look, it's worth it!