NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Newbie in Southeastern United States

Hi, I have lurked this forum for almost 7 months while deciding whether or not we wanted to make the big leap of adding another family member to our already busy household. We brought our CAG Zeke home this weekend and are very excited, not to mention a little nervous. We have four parakeets and a whole slew of finned, feathered and furred family members. Oh yeah and five teenage and adult aged children.

Hello Flowerchik and welcome to our family.

Sounds like you have a full house so your new grey Zeke will have plenty of people to get socialized with and get spoilt by but I am glad you decided to add an african grey to the mix. Why not tell us more about him, his age and so forth so we can get to know him better and feel free to share some pictures if you like.

Welcome and thanks for joining us. The people who read and get to know what to expect before making the huge decision to commit to a lifetime with one of these wonderful and exquisite parrots are the ones who are successful. I was a lurker for a long time trying to understand our other little parrot from Africa and what do you know but it wasn't long before we brought home an African grey also. It is going to be great to share the journey with Zeke and your family.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I will post pictures when I figure out how to. Zeke is right at 4 months old. He is not weaned, something I am very uncomfortable with. Something my husband and the breeder insist is going to be fine. I have lurked and read enough to know there are dangers for birds with inexperienced hand feeders. I feel sick if I think about it too much. I have become obsessed with thermometers. The breeder has been breeding parrots since the 70s. I hope she is right. I will be looking for guidance along the way, not just with feeding but all things African Grey. Now on to happy thoughts...... Zeke is a VERY messy cutie. He loves to play in his food and bird formula. He slings it everywhere. I hope he will like birdie showers, because at this rate he will have to become accustomed to them. He is just like a baby he hates his mouth wiped. He doesn't spend much time in his cage. He has a big one coming fed ex today, hopefully he will like that one better than the one he has now. He will also have a sleeping cage in another area of the house because things stay busy until the wee hours sometimes. He seems comfortable around the parakeets and bunny. The cat took one look at him, Zeke screeched and the cat ran for his life and hid in the bedroom. Not to worry the cat and him will not be alone together. He doesn't seem to like being held. My husband has been working with him and can officially join the "bite me" club now. I give scritches carefully and am avoiding joining that club, but know it is coming. He makes some really funny sounds. The funniest one is his "ughhhh" like something smells or tastes bad. It cracks me up. Oh yeah and he seems to like for me to read Dr Suess to him lol!

I appreciate that there is a place to go to for help. Hopefully folks won't be too hard on me. From lurking other forums as well as this one I know many folks disagree with buying instead of rescuing a bird and that purchasing an unweaned bird is looked upon badly. I completely understand the reasoning behind that, but hope that will not deter folks from giving me some words of wisdom from time to time.

You are a welcome part of the Grey family! Keep reading and asking questions. Everyone here will be willing to help when they can. At 16 weeks or so, you baby shouldn't be too fragile. I'm with you though, it scares me to think about handfeeding.