NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello from Michigan please read!!

Kchill

Hello, I'll keep this short. I've looked though all the post the majority of the day and found a lot that kinda answers my question but not really. I've been doing my home work for almost a year now and I'm stuck.

I'm going to adopt a Congo there are two available in my area. One is a 2 year old that had a mate now it don't and per owner now plucked its own feathers out. The other is a 8 year old been owned by same humans since weened job relocation out of country forcing rehome they said its not mean but has tendency to bite??.

So my question is are greys like dogs in the aspect of the younger the are the easier the transition? I'm concerned that at 8 the bird may be set in its ways? Any advice would be great thanks for your time.

Welcome! I am certain you will get more help here than I can provide, but it sounds like you may need more information. Greys are not like dogs and each bird is very different. You mention that the 2 year old bird lost it's "mate" can you explain what that means? Was she intended as a breeder bird? As for the 8 year old bird, she may have more baggage, but if she was a beloved pet, she may not have the same issues as a bird that was intended to be a breeder. Unfortunately, as you may have realized by reviewing this forum and it's endless supply of information, there are no "one size fits all" answers to grey behavior. My grey was 8 when I rehomed her and I adore her. It took us a while to understand each other but she is a great bird. Either way you will need lots of patience. Good luck!

Welcome! I am far from an expert and each bird is unique so i will tell you my experience for what it is worth! In the parrot world, 8 is still very young. I rehomed a 5 yr old and then a 20 yr old. Patience required for both. My 20 yr old seemed like she had an easier transition than the younger one but both still have a long way to go to completly trust us. Bongo (5yr) we have had since Jan., Gabby (20) just since Aug. I have no doubt they both will come out of their shell, you just can not expect instant anything with a grey. They have their own time line and it is up to us to respect it. I really believe that how they respond and grow comes from how we interact with them. Long story short, age shouldn't be a factor. Birds bite for many reasons, the question is why does it bite? I have found that i was being bit by my macaw because i was mis reading his signs of "please stop or i will bite you to make you stop". Now i know and don't get bit (as hard) lol

It would almost be like trying to choose a favorite child in this case. We adopted a ten year old Timneh grey with known issues from having been in several homes. He was a stress plucker and he had a lot of stress. He was biting, he was scared to the point of standing like a statue all day. It has taken a long time on our calendar to wait and earn his trust, but it is coming and it is glorious. There are some greys who have been in horrible situations and their spirit is intact and they come into a new home with a fresh outlook. With the two year old, it might have experienced a life change and started plucking and with vet care and patience you may find he is just needing a safe place to grow and grieve. With any rehome situation we have to take a deep breath, ask if we are up to the task of getting through the baggage and make a choice from our head as well as our heart. If either of these greys have a vet, it may be helpful for you to make an appointment and discuss the pros and cons with someone who knows the bird or birds and go from there. Also, if they are local, you may be able to meet each of them and see their surroundings and see what you think then.

Thanks everyone, ill respond to some post and give more detail. Yes the two year old was intended as a breeder, the owner though really confused me on her lack of knowledge ( example ) are first conversation went like this. Me: is your grey a Congo ? Her: no it's a parrot !! I'm not joking and her intentions was to breed? Anyway the entire conversation went like that and she wants top $. Something just don't sit right. Now the 8 year olds owner and I had only email conversation for three days with her wanting to know everything about me my living situation, past and present pets ect ect. And our first conversation started with her husband as he's explaining the love they have for the bird his voice started cracking and he lost it giving the phone to his crying wife. They are moving out of country for job. Anyway they agree that I'm a perfect fit! They want until Saturday so they can take her to have a spa day and get nails and beak trim. Not to mention the California king cage for a macaw. I'm leaning towards the 8 year old because I can tell it was loved dearly and I think that counts for a lot . And I made a comparison to dogs this was only an example!! I was raised with a umbrella cockatoo and scarlet macaw, my parents birds. My parents are old school telling me I should only get a bird from the breeder and be part of the weening process. That's why I originally asked if age makes that big of a difference. Thanks again

The 2 year old is in of need a better home for sure and may take time to transition to learn trust, the 8 year old being loved and cared for would be the best fit for you from the sound of things. I do speak from experience as we live with 4 rehomed Greys of varied ages from 24 to approximately 2 1/2 years.

Hello Kchill and welcome to our family.

I would say take the 8 year old grey as he has been well taken care of especially if they are asking you lots of questions about yourself, means they really care and want the best for their bird. Something is not quite right with the other one as a 2 year old bird is not mature so it could not have had a mate and from what you have told us sounds fishy to me.

It would take lots of time and much patience on your part to gain the trust and bond with either bird available but well worth the effort if that is what you want and by all means include the entire family in interaction when the bird allows.

Looking forward to hearing what you decide to do.

Time will tell how you family will be able to relate with any bird. Greys like us are each quite unique personalities we are suggesting the older bird as her back ground has been a good one the other bird is in an uncertain sort of situation with people who should not have birds at all if they are that clueless. Perhaps the bird would be just fine but with out meeting her we have no way of knowing what baggage she carries. As far as your children if they can show patience (a great deal of), move in non threatening ways (slowly and not from above) show respect for the birds wishes and they may be able to form their own bonds with your new bird. Time and patience and trying to view all the new changes in surroundings, people in their flock, schedules, sights & sounds from the birds point of view will all help.

I'm going to pick up the 8 year old this Friday!!!! I went into detail conversation on the owner saying the bird has a tendancy to bite. She said the bird is in a bedroom with cage door left open and the bird is allowed to fly about! If the bird is in or on the cage it will bite has drawn blood. If the bird is on stand or anywhere else there's no problem and often asked for kisses!! Owner states they use a pirch to remove bird from cage. They said becouse of everything going on with getting affairs in order to move the bird has not been showed to much time lately. They also state the bird will bond very fast once showed a little more affection. This all sounds like cage aggression to me ? Anything you could add to help me would be wonderful. The bird will be in our main (living room) and I'm self employed and very rarely need to leave for more than 2-3 hours a day if that, I'm hoping lots of time and affection I can turn the corner fast but if not that's ok.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Congrats on selecting the grey you want to spend the rest of your life with, yes it sounds like cage aggression and some greys are this way about their cage but if you allow them to come out and away from their safe zone then they are fine with stepping up. Just allow him/her to settle into the new home, talk to the bird and let him/her decide when to interact more, never force yourself or try to rush the process, it takes time so be very patient.

You are correct in putting the cage in the living room if that is where the family spends most of their waking time, a bird likes to be a part of what is going on and it will help in the bonding process.

Be sure to get as much of the background on this bird as you can, if the owners kept records of vet visits, information on what foods or toys are favorite and any other pertinent facts that will make the transition go more smoothly.

Thanks judygram, yes the owners are making a lets call it a cheat sheet, everything from food likes dislikes, bedtime ECT. What vet they use so on so on. i am so exited i can hardly stand it. i was told today that the transition may make her not talk for a while, any truth to that ? i was then told once she starts talking again shes getting comfortable ?

i was told today that the transition may make her not talk for a while, any truth to that ? i was then told once she starts talking again shes getting comfortable ?

Thats true, she may not say anything until she feels more comfortable then she will become more vocal. I know you will hardly be able to contain yourself until Friday, you are in for a real treat.

Congratulations and welcome! The link is not working so we can't see the pic. The talking thing depends on the bird. We rehomed a TAG in June, and he talked all the way home. Then he was silent for a few days. After he got comfortable, he doesn't talk much when we are in the room, more when he is by himself. Others find that their bird likes to talk and interact when they are with them. Again, it depends on the bird!

Just an update! Picking up Henry around 10:30 tomorrow morning. Am I insane or normal ? I'm actually loosing sleep over the anticipation of getting her. I went to a local bird supplies store this morning and wow it didn't take long to rack up a almost $300 bill in toys,puzzles, healthy treats. Of course all to be used once he's comfortable. Ill try to figure out how to post pics. Last thing I was on the phone with the owner and she's taking Henry to a spa day today and as we were talking she was going to get the car carrier to put Henry in it. As she approached with carrier I hear ( what are you doing ) from Henry . She said we are going to the spa step up, Henry then said NO. I almost died with laughter .

Awwwwww Im so excited for you!!!!!!!! I think you are doing a great thing for Henry! See now I dont feel so bad naming my baby Marco and its also a girl lol. That is a funnyyyyy story about Henry saying "No" bwahahaha... they have lil attitudes you'll find out but you will have such a great companion! WOO HOO you prolly wont sleep a wink tonite lol just like an expecting parent not to mention you will soon learn how to make HOME MADE toys to save your wallet a wee bit. but Im just as bad as you with buying stuff I just cant say no :rolleyes: so I do both lol buy and make .... <smiles sweetly> cant wait to see pics and hear more funny stories

Welcome Henry, mom and dad!I think you made a great decision! Even though Henry is eight, he is a very young lad, and you guys have an enormous opportunity to develop a relationship with a bird that is truly amazing! Remember, its " all about Henry" right now.You will struggle with parrenting, but Henry will struggle with a very big change in his life. We are all here to help you with any questions and concerns. Nancy

Thank you guys very much!!!!!!! The owner took her to get trimmed up today and gave me the vet info. i actually ended up calling them (trying to get as mush info as i could) i spoke to the vet tech that actually trimmed her and he said the bird was perfect no aggression whatsoever and said she was the first bird that actually talked the whole time including beak trim he said it was amazing, that don't normally happen. he also said when the owner tried to get bird from him he tried to bite her but know one else? The birds diet is a mixed blend of three different goldenfiest foods. is that a good brand? i haven't had time to research it>

theres a thread on what ppl feed their bird, I think its kinda a matter of what they were raised on, I wouldnt go changing it on her when you bring her home, but definately be ready to add in all your fresh veges and some fruits into the equation! :D happy bird homecoming day! :D

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?196956-Which-pellets-does-everyones-Greys-prefer-most heres the other thread :) I think every bird is SO different ... its under the bird food topic :D

We are home !!!! Three hours in the car and she talked ALL the way home!! Hi , what are you doing, I see you, among much more. When we arrived home I put her so she could watch me as I set up her cage then I said ok here goes nothing I opened the travel carrier she came out with no hesitation, I offered my hand and said step up. She did it with zero problems I held her by the cage for a few minutes she put her head down and towards me so I pet her on the back of her neck. She liked this a lot. I said ok time to go in your cage ( didn't want to over do it ) and she said kisses I put my head down ( with caution ) she actually kissed me on the mouth then made a rather funny kissing sound..