NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Move or Not?

SimplyGrey

Hello: I am new to the Grey family and have a question about whether to move my greys cage or not. I was thinking to move his cage into the living room so that he would have the dogs as company during the day while I'm at work. That may be a silly reason, but currently right now, his cage is in another room away from the living room and it is very quiet in the room, although I leave the radio on for him.

I do bring him out into the living room when I get home and he sits nicely on his Java tree. Does it matter where his cage is? Please share your suggestions. Thanks! :o

While I agree with Nancy that when the birds are out of the cage I take the dogs with me when I am going to be preoccupied or even briefly leave the room to get the mail or anything, or I will close the door on the bird cage and open them again when I return to the room. But, if I recall, correct me if I am wrong Nancy, but you also don't believe in shutting cage doors so your birds have total freedom, so it makes good sense to lock the dogs elsewhere. I also agree with Nancy that when I am home all of us benefit from being together in the same room. Many of our members keep our greys in the "hub" of the home, some have dedicated bird rooms where the spend a great deal of time and also allow the parrots freedom in the rest of the house. Every home and every grey is unique and individual, so if you do make the decision to move the cage to the living room it will give you the chance to try it and you can move it back if it doesn't work for you. Since your grey already spends a lot of time in there on his java tree while you are home he seems comfortable there while you are home. Some members have tragically lost a parrrot left alone with their dogs because the parrot unexpectedly opened the cage door, or escaped through a food door etc. so for a while it would be prudent to secure those doors to his cage to keep him safe while you sort out what is best in your home.

katana600 You are right. I don't believe in closed bird cages. All cages are opened 24/7. BUT.... they have a bird room. The bird room is never opened 24/7. When I go to work, their room is closed. Dogs and birds can't interact, until I open the door, which I do the moment I walk in the door. All birds come out, Sophie walks or flies out immediately. She wants to be with me and dogs. Dogs wag their tails, happy to see her. i am lucky the dogs love the birds like their best friends. Birds escaped? Yes, it has happened. Everyone was fine. Birds were in a harmful situation? Yes, it has happened. Kiki got stuck under a secondary barrier, so dogs couldn't get in in case I forgot to close the door.Ollie was freaking out... barking like crazy! I opened the bird room sooner than later. Kiki was stuck under the gate. Ollie saved her life, and she has never forgotten.They have a special relationship.

Needless to say, I try to protect the birds from the dogs, using open door policy. It doesn't always work.When I have failed with my " safety plan" i tend to find Sophie in Zoey's kennel hanging out.TONS of peanuts that Sophie has brought into the kennel to share with Ollie and Zoey. Nancy

Timber's cage is actually in my kitchen (not ideal I know but he is clipped for now) for the very reason stated. The kitchen is where we hang out and where I am the majority of the time (even as I write this). They do want to be in the middle of things. Any time I leave the room, Timber starts verbalizing or whistling. I take him with me when I'm going to be in another room for a long period. I have 4 free roaming cats, and Timber enjoys tormenting them so I suppose that is company. He makes a noise that scares them, and I know he does it intentionally because he waits until they are all four in the room, makes the sound and watches them run (while he looks pleased with himself). He also clicks at them and tries to get them to come closer to the cage. The cats are curious and watch Timber, but they don't show any aggression. That said, I wouldn't trust them alone with him for a minute if he was on the floor in the open. I've read too many incidents where birds were injured or killed by dogs or cats. As Katana and Nancy said, make sure your cage is secure and you should be fine.

So this morning I let Sophie out, she came into the kitchen like usual, climbed onto her favorite chair. She is waiting for a piece of chicken that dogs get daily. I am cutting up dogs chicken... a mouse flies by! YIKES! I HATE mice. Ollie and Zoey look at it like its a " new friend", Sophie say's " hello"! I tell all three of them " i'm trading all of them for a cat!" Sophie looks at me seriously, thinking hard... say's " good morning!" LOL! She has never said good morning, something I say daily. I guess I'll keep her. Now I have to get mouse traps. YUCK! Nancy

It's great to hear everyone's opinion! I have decided not to move my guys cage into the living room. Like Katana600 stated, my grey does spend a lot of time on his Java tree when I bring him into the living room, and he is totally comfortable. The cage is in the bird room and its nice and quiet for sleeping at night, so that way if I wanted to stay up late and watch TV, I won't be keeping my guy up! LOL :)