NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

picking the feathers

Guest briansmum

Guest briansmum

is it just me, or does anyone else love to preen their grey?

i have established brian is getting ready for a molt with the downy feathers coming off and the pin feathers on his neck. and i LOVE to pull the downy feathers!

i don't hurt him, but if they're poking out or obviously lose i find it very satisfying to pull them off (sort of like squeazing a spot :sick: :laugh: ).

he doesn't seem to mind since he appears to have a phobia of his own feathers LOL

my sincere applogies to anyone who doesnt "get this" maybe its just me. hopefully somone gets what i mean LOL :laugh: :laugh:

I preen mine. He has some pin feathers on his crop area right now and he lets me go over them with my nails...I'm sure they are itchy. He won't let me pull down feathers though, I think he enjoys getting them out himself like you do. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Guest briansmum

he freaks out when he gets them himself. like he doesnt understand why it came out. and if one floats near him he goes berserk! i guess he's decided if i get to them first he doesnt have to deal with them

That is so funny Beccy, but I don't preen my Josey, she does that herself, but I do help my sun conure with hers and she appreciates it, she will stand there and turn her head around so I can get to them for her. That is so nice that he allows you to do that for him.

Guest briansmum

he does preen himself, all the time, he's very meticulous about his outer feathers and where they should be. he's just so wierd with the downy ones. he'll be preening, one will come out, he'll chew on it for a bit then when he lets it go and it starts floating about he get's all tall and defensive and squaks at them. maybe he thinks they've come to life :laugh: