NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

how likely is it to bring back a disease from the vet?

turtlepunk

Hello everyone.....I want to take my sun conure in for his check up but I'm a bit paranoid about it. i will be taking him to a bird clinic (Dr Nemetz) for an exam and some probable lab work done to make sure he's not a carrier for pacheco's disease or chlamydiosis. Because it is a bird clinic, I'm worried about bringing something back home with us............its happened before in a difference scenario, at a different animal hospital......brought my rats in due to them having URI.....came back with FLEAS!!! it was HORRIBLE. (that was some time ago, before my bird)

However, this clinic is top notch...so I'm guessing they should carry out procedures to prevent this from happening......what do you guys think? is it rare to bring an illness back with us? am I being way too paranoid?

I am a medical person, and am very paranoid! I unfortunately know too much! I rarely bring my birds to the vet, unless they are sick. Nancy

A human medical person, has nothing to do with avian medicine. There is always a risk in anything you do, even walking down the street. By all means take you parrot to a avian vet, yearly and when ever needed....Your parrots life can depend on it.....

Likely no, possible yes. Take proper precautions of washing your hands before handling your feathered friend, place the carrier on a hard surface that can be cleaned, change your clothing and remove your shoes. Take the carrier to another room to be cleaned. Common sense things you can do every day go a long way toward bringing nasties into your home.

When I first got my baby bird, I dutifully took him to the vet and he had a crop infection. He was on antibiotics and had to go back. In a few short days he died and I was so stricken with grief. When his necropsy came back, he had PDD. Even though my mind could grasp this was not associated with his vet visit, that it takes longer than a week or so to manifest, incubate and cause his death there was a dark cloud that said it was possible. It was only after I cared for his clutchmate and he passed from the same disorder that over the course of time I realized it was part of nature and had nothing to do with the vet visit. We can let fear rule our lives and create all sorts of possibilities in our minds because in reality, life is fragile, there are things "out there" and there are also things in our homes that though very small in risk, could "possibly" make us or our birds ill. We have to weigh the risk vs benefits. When I take my other parrot for well vet visits annually there is a residual fear that something might happen. I think it is kind of like watching my sister pass from breast cancer and then having great trepidation when it is time for my own mammogram. Please don't let your fear of the unknown prevent you from gaining the greater benefits of having an avian vet in your corner. I have learned so much from this forum and members with advice on African greys as well as general human advice. Our vet is our backup plan and believe me, when we had an injury and needed emergency care, I was greatly appreciative that we built a relationship and that I had supported his practice and his years of education and knowlege. On the annual bloodwork, I learn what is working well in my feeding and care. On our most recent visit he recommended a product for Gilbert that has changed our lives because it gave him something that I could not recognize that he would benefit from, nor could I recognize what was his behavior from being a rehome with issues and what was available to give him a better life. I don't like going to the vet, I don't like the long ride, I don't like to get my birds upset, but the bottom line for us is the benefits far far outweigh the risks. Good luck with making that decision for yourself. I hope you find that this clinic is your best source of information and your support and back up plan.

I go to a avian and exotic animal specialty vet that we go for nail trims and boarding as well as yearly checkups. They require a specific set of lab work to board there. We also get the same set of labs done every 2-3 years based on their recommendation. It's a risk, but I'll trade the small risk for the expertise and access to boarding.

I'm sure it varies from vet to vet, but how does pricing work on lab work? Do you pay fees for each test done to find different things? or can you pay one lab fee for lab work that will find multiple things? can one simple blood test rule out multiple diseases?

I'm sure it varies from vet to vet, but how does pricing work on lab work? Do you pay fees for each test done to find different things? or can you pay one lab fee for lab work that will find multiple things? can one simple blood test rule out multiple diseases?

I can't speak to how the tests are done, but i would imagine they're done the same no matter how they're paid for. The vet I go to has a reduced price they negotiated with the lab for a complete panel. It runs around 300 dollars for us.

Our vet also charges about three hundred dollars for a full panel on the bloodwork and fecal testing. They do one blood draw for all the tests. Once our little poicephalus red-bellied parrot had consistent lab work a couple of years in a row, now he only recommends blood draw every three years unless we have a specific concern. Gilbert is still relatively new, only two vet visits, I didn't ask if he will get bloodwork annually, but I still take them once a year just to keep them current. It is a wonderful thing when we go and don't have any tests but still keeps me in good standing with our vet. I alternate every six months with one parrot at a time so it doesn't take one big chunk out of the checkbook at the same time.