NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Beginning Stages to Plucking?

Sheldon89

Hello, everyone! A few short weeks have passed and everything's going great with Congo. He's eating well, whistling and talking up a storm, and is starting to step up now and again, with little to no biting!

Unfortunately, I've begun to see pods of white fluffy feathers floating here and there, and the ends of his feathers around his neck look like they've been chewed about. I'll have to post some pictures, soon - but I've already gone ahead with precautionary measures in putting more and more toys in his cage - is there anything else I can do to prevent it? He still looks presentable, but the plucking should be curtailed ASAP to stop it from becoming habit, I suppose.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated. Pictures, soon!

No help here because I'm a novice, but I can say that I have white fluff floating around Timber's area which is "normal." I'm sure someone more experienced will take a look at the pics and give you some advice.

Thank you Timbersmom! Glad to know the white fluff isn't just me… I just need to "nip this in the butt," so I can keep my Congo looking happy and healthy! :D

Hello, everyone! A few short weeks have passed and everything's going great with Congo. He's eating well, whistling and talking up a storm, and is starting to step up now and again, with little to no biting!

Unfortunately, I've begun to see pods of white fluffy feathers floating here and there, and the ends of his feathers around his neck look like they've been chewed about. I'll have to post some pictures, soon - but I've already gone ahead with precautionary measures in putting more and more toys in his cage - is there anything else I can do to prevent it? He still looks presentable, but the plucking should be curtailed ASAP to stop it from becoming habit, I suppose.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated. Pictures, soon!

The white fluffing is the start of molting. It's gonna last for a while. You'll see loads of these feathers for quite a while. Right now, the skin is extremely dry and itchy. That causes a bird to *scratch* it's skin just like you would do if you had an itch. Sometimes that itch the bird has is more intense which causes the bird to scratch the skin more intensely. When the bird does that he's going thru the feathers to get to the skin. The outer feathers are also dry, dead and ready to fall out. Sometimes a bird will assist in pulling them out. That causes feather ends to look frayed and chewed up. A new set of feathers are on their way to replace the old, ratty, dried out feathers. Increasing baths, showers, misting is a good idea. Also, go to the Health Room and look for the sticky concerning Aloe Vera Juice and use that product.

• Sad 1

The white fluffing is the start of molting. It's gonna last for a while. You'll see loads of these feathers for quite a while. Right now, the skin is extremely dry and itchy. That causes a bird to *scratch* it's skin just like you would do if you had an itch. Sometimes that itch the bird has is more intense which causes the bird to scratch the skin more intensely. When the bird does that he's going thru the feathers to get to the skin. The outer feathers are also dry, dead and ready to fall out. Sometimes a bird will assist in pulling them out. That causes feather ends to look frayed and chewed up. A new set of feathers are on their way to replace the old, ratty, dried out feathers. Increasing baths, showers, misting is a good idea. Also, go to the Health Room and look for the sticky concerning Aloe Vera Juice and use that product.

Thank you so much, Dave! He doesn't have a history of plucking, and I just want to make sure that I'm helping him as much to get through the dry winter, here, in Central New York. Would a humidifier help any through this for him?

I will also be looking into the aloe spray and getting that for him. I'm elated to think that it can be reversed with ease, but will be vigilant in keeping an eye on the habit. I've only gotten him three weeks ago and perhaps it's good that it was in the winter season - so that I get a crash course going into it. I learn something new every day! Thank you so much, again!! :D I can relax a bit more, now.

Thank you so much, Dave! He doesn't have a history of plucking, and I just want to make sure that I'm helping him as much to get through the dry winter, here, in Central New York. Would a humidifier help any through this for him?

I will also be looking into the aloe spray and getting that for him. I'm elated to think that it can be reversed with ease, but will be vigilant in keeping an eye on the habit. I've only gotten him three weeks ago and perhaps it's good that it was in the winter season - so that I get a crash course going into it. I learn something new every day! Thank you so much, again!! :D I can relax a bit more, now.

A humidifier is always a good idea to use all year long. Greys have skin that dries quickly and it causes them to scratch, over preen and even some plucking or chewing and that goes on all year long.. The better the humidity level, the better for your bird.

I was going to ask the same question about the humidifier situation I didnt know how long I should leave it on etc but by the sounds of it, its all the time to keep the humidity in the house at a specific level. I was so concerned with making sure the temp was ok I forgot about the humidity LOL.

theres always tons of these little tiny whispy feathers floating in the air at the house!

I've also been showering/misting Congo every day, now. Now that this is winter, is it to my understanding that this should increase to twice daily? Once morning, and one more afternoon? All very assuring answers. Thank you!

I think a couple times a week for the bathes should be enough. I have never heard of daily or 2xday being beneficial. Dave??

You might also consider a humidifier for consistently moist air....that should help too. The first moults are always the most concerning. Shadow has plucked a few "spots" in her life so I am also very watchful! Try not to focus on that behavior as giving it attention can make it worse. I can't imagine what my girl must of thought of me constantly peering in at her trying to see bald spots!! LOL

Sheldon89.... so happy Dave and CLB were able to help you.Sophie won't let me shower her. Misting her... she is offended, but a necessity in life. They especially get dry in the winter. I can't imagine showering more than once a week as you are washing away natural oils.Sophie spends a great deal of time with me away from her cage especially in the evening. I LOVE watching her preen. She parts her feathers in one claw,

like parents do with braiding hair. She seperates her feathers, cleans, adds another feather, cleans. What a process!

When its my turn to get preened... I beg her to get rid of the greys only!LOL Nancy

You're all so wonderful for putting up with my incessant worrying. Maybe he's just picking up on my nervousness over the election. Hah! Sensitive little buggers...

You just answered your own question, yes they pick up on your nervousness so take it easy and just ignore it, I know its hard to do but you will only add to the problem and quit worrying so much as it only adds wrinkles.

Sheldon89 LOL about the election! I went to bed at 10 pm that night, my girlfriend texted me 10 times! She was biting her nails, planning to move to Canada ( asked me to move with her!) LOL! I didn't get any of her texts until the next day. You and my friend would have been GREAT friends that nite! ( she wanted Obama though!) I"ll say it.... YAY for OBAMA! Nancy

Sheldon89 LOL about the election! I went to bed at 10 pm that night, my girlfriend texted me 10 times! She was biting her nails, planning to move to Canada ( asked me to move with her!) LOL! I didn't get any of her texts until the next day. You and my friend would have been GREAT friends that nite! ( she wanted Obama though!) I"ll say it.... YAY for OBAMA! Nancy

Glad you said it, Kins - for sure I was thinking the same thing! Haha :D

I recently took my girl to the vet because I thought she could be plucking. Turns out it is a molt, her first one. She lost a ton of feathers all at once, and at first glance the vet thought she was plucking. Had a couple small bald spots. But then he took his fingers and gently rubbed them on the skin in a small circle. He had me do it too to feel the itty bitty pin feathers starting to come in. They were small bumps but kinda pointy.

He said she is mainly molting but to keep up with the showers daily and make sure she has a lot of toys. Try to prevent her from being itchy and bored will help prevent a plucking habit.

Thanks jla! It is, perhaps, a winter molt, like Dave suggested, but Congo's 10+ years old and is, by far, not his first molt :P. But I agree, I will try the prevention with adding more toys to the cage and giving him a lot of out-of-cage time (as I've been doing since I've got him). It seems as though it's been keeping steady the past few days, but I think I'll just keep taking progression pictures for reference sake, and try to ignore it as best I can.

And, unfortunately, I cannot really pet him because there isn't enough trust for that - I'm slowly but surely gaining it, but I think he's mourning the loss of his last owner. And that's all fine and dandy - I'd totally understand. Ten years with the same flock and then suddenly rehomed would make me a little hesitant and irritable.

Time will tell. :) Thanks all!