NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

what is she doing? [video]

MissOMalley

First off, let me point out that it's almost 2am here...the birds and i went to bed over 3 hours ago with no issues. I took a quick video of Emmys weird noises. She got all wound up, smacking her toys around and making these noises for over an hour before i got up to investigate. Food, water, bed...everything is good. Shes a rescue thats been home less than 1.5weeks. Thats Dutch my other grey whistling in the background. She also grinds her beak loundly all day and part of the night...very annoying! Any ideas on this odd/new behaviour?

Gilbert did that mating dance a lot in his first days, I took it as a sign that he was in love with his new life. Mostly though, I thanked him and walked away, returning when he stopped doing it to praise him and give him attention and treats apart from the behavior and it gradually diminished and went away. We haven't seen it now in months. The beak grinding is also another sound they make when they are relaxed and comfortable and happy. From being from a rough background, they both show signs of having been loved and treated with gentleness. For you to be able to get so close with your camera and for them to be happily whistling and beak grinding in just a week and a half are very good indicators that they will adjust to your home well. Maybe it is because the two know each other and that gives them confidence in a new home. They look and sound great to me.

Thanks! I thought she was hurt or something.I have so much to learn about these birds! Now I will know how to react next time!

I just misted them for the first time. Dutch growled, but didnt totally freak out. Emmy just backed herself into a corner. I don't think it was the best bath as i couldnt get under the wings. I followed the bath with treat bribes.... it worked!

I am suprised at how fast they are settling in, especially since they are not handled birds. I already love them even though they aren't too sure abouto me yet. However, i'm not sure how much I love them at 5am while they are laughing and shredding paper :D

Katana, I am learning so much as I read through Gilberts thread. I am thankful i found this forum!

I am glad you found this forum too. While it is often said, every parrot is a unique individual, a rehomed parrot adds exponentially to the possible behaviors, temperments, and innate traits common with the species. You have so many variables coming into this, not to mention the emotional aspect of your grandma's situation. Add to that Emmy's physical abilities and bringing in two at a time from the same home, I believe we are going to learn much from your posts. As far as the early morning wake ups, you might consider covering the cages at night, or even possibly moving them to small roost cages for sleeping. Controlling the amount of daylight, especially for a female parrot dimishes the mating behavior associated with the natural breeding season when food is abundant and long sunny days encourage reproduction. Thanks for your kind words about Gilbert's thread. I am still learning and he is making great progress, though we did have a slow start.

The one great thing about following Dee's thread, aka Katana600 is that lots of time and much patience works, sometimes it seems we make a step forward and then have to take two steps backwards but you can see the progress in her posts, its been a long time coming but if you follow the same idea of allowing them to make decisions on their own and let them set the pace of allowing more interaction with you and your family then you will reap the same rewards.

Timber loves to be sprayed, which I do daily when it is warm enough, but he doesn't take a real "bath" that often (maybe once every two weeks). To get that accomplished, I have to be vigilant in watching him. When he wants to bathe, he will start dipping his beak in his water bowl and tossing water on himself. When I see him do that, I get an 8x8 glass baking dish I keep for his bathing. It's a heavy one and doesn't tip when he stands on the edge. I put about an inch of nursery water (purified but no chemicals) in the dish and put it in the bottom of his cage. He immediately goes for the dish and gets himself thoroughly wet. If he isn't wanting to bathe, that dish can sit there all day and he won't go near it. Not ideal, but that's as far as we've gotten and it seems to work for him.

OMG...I'm in awe right now! Maybe its because im a newbie. As ive mentioned before, Emmy has no feet...therefore she cant scratch her neck very well. Well, she kept coming to her cage door putting her head down for me. She is not handled and i have never touched her besides her beak through the cage bars. For the sake of my fingers, i decided to scratch her neck with a piece of her shred toy/card board...:D See video 1. I thought she was done with me...so I put the cardboard down. 2 seconds later, she found a way to scratch herself. See video 2. Now shes carrying the cardboard around with her and protecting it lol. Shes a smart cookie! I still dont understand her behaviour towards me and if shes OK with me being so close. Any insight?

**please excuse the mess. I clean her cage at least 3x a day. She stays at the bottom and isnt a clean bird at all. I try, promise!

Video 1

Video 2

I was amazed when I first saw Timber manipulating objects to scratch his head. It is really amazing that Emma can do it with her lack of "nails!" If I were you, (insert disclaimer about liability and trying this at home) I'd try the scratching with your finger. She looks like she is ready to me, and if you watch her body language and reactions you can tell. I suspect Emma is going to be a cuddler. :)

It is not because you are new, I was amazed at the ingenuity of using the cardboard to rub her head, and even doubly amazed to watch Emmy use it herself! It made tears come to my eyes. The fact that she comes to the open cage door while you are there and that she is relaxed is huge for her just being with you a short time. She is showing signs of acceptance and is certainly calm. You will learn as you go but Emmy is amazing to me already. Dutch in the background whistling is a nice touch, he sounds wonderful too. You are doing great with these two, I am betting it is going to get better and better for all three of you, and your other little parrot too.

Thank you! Sometimes I forget how intelligent these guys are! I'm so used to dogs and reptiles....greys are a whole different ball game! Emmy continues to use the card board to scratch herself. I took the plunge and scritched her with my finger......success!!! She seemed nervous, but also seemed to enjoy it. She let me know when it was enough. Her change in behaviour is subtle...but I did pick up on it. She never did try to bite though! I think I am irrational about being bit. I'm a dog groomer by trade....i need my fingers!!!

I am so pleased with their progress! Dutch hisses less and less everyday! He doesnt seem interested in being touched....but he is getting more and more comfy with me being very close. He lets me get in his cage to clean without going bananas, takes treats from my hand, and sings his heart out. His newest word is "almond". I just love these greys!