NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Amazon of the month Nov. 2012

Ray P

The November amazon of the month is the Orange Winged Amazon.

We have 3 Orange Winged members and they are.

Name---------------------Care giver.

1. Salsa------------------Jayd and Spock (AKA Jay and Maggie)

2. Jasper-----------------Stevie

3. Kiki--------------------Kins2321@yahoo.com (AKA Nancy)

The Orange winged Amazon AKA locally as Orange Parrot and Loro Guaro is a large amazon parrot. It is a resident breeding bird in Tropical South America from Colombia, Trinidad and Tobago South of Peru and central Brazil.

Its habitat is forest and semi-open country. Although common, it is persecuted as a agricultural pest and by capture for the pet trade and its also hunted as a food source.

There are two subspecies.

A. a. amazonica found on the mainland of South America.

A. a. tobagensis found only on Trinidad and Tobago is a subspecies which is larger than the nominate form and has more orange in the wing.

The Orange Winged Amazon is mainly a green parrot about 13 in. long and weighing about 340 gm, it has blue and yellow feathers on its head which varies in extent between individuals. The upper mandible is partly horn colored and partly dark-grey. It has orange in the wing and tail which can be seen when in flight. The Male and female are identical in external appearance.

The Orange Winged Amazon is a noisy bird and makes loud high-pitched screams, It eats fruits and seeds, including the fruit of palm trees and sometimes cocoa, It roost communally in palm trees and large numbers can be seen at the roost sites at dawn and dusk, Its becoming common as a feral bird in the Miami, Florida area and there are colonies in London England.

If you have an Orange Winged Amazon than tell us about your parrot

Edited by Ray P

Hi! Sorry I haven't been on for a while but my big "Goonie Bird" has been keeping me busy...."Okay, Okay, Salsa! Give me a second and I will pass the computer over to you...sheesh!!"

Hola...Salsa here...I am in loooooove!!!!! I am an Orange-wing and proud of it! I strut my stuff all over the house. I found out that I have a little Double-yellow and Yellow-nape in my character and I don't talk much but boy, can I sing! AAAAAAA!!!!! That was my high note...pretty huh? Hola, Louie...you have to go to your mama...they looove for you to stick your toenails into their fingers! Just think of those fingers as branches and hang on while you play!!! WooHoo!!! When they yell, they like it!!!! Hola Kiki! Whass happenin???? I told you all the Greenies would rule someday...It may say the Grey Forum but I'm sure they just spelled green wrong. Mama had the "boob tube" (TV) on and it was all about South America. I, being an Amazon, found out my mama was a six foot tall blonde haired beauty that carried a bow and quiver...and the TV don't lie...because I heard Papa say "Look at those Amazon women!!!!" She had no feathers though???? Joe and Tango walk all over the floor but I like to walk on round things like my branches, like my cage, like Mama's fingers....Mama puts me down to explore new places and I hang on to her with one foot while I play and explore all over with the other...She likes this special time because she always says "Oooohhh Salsa..." I love to fly but I found out that I can just hang on to Mama's shirt and go all over the house, hanging on the hem, the collar, the front pocket, inside the shirt...and I found out that she has these straps under her shirt that she wears just for me so I can play forage and chew through her clothes...She may say Noooo but I know she means Yeeesss....Well, I've got to go...Mama wants her computer back....

Hi...Maggie here...Salsa has eased out of her Terrible Two's, Miserable Three's and is doing some molting...She is also in love with Jay...LOL...She had a spell a while back where she was just a terror...but this is normal. She has learned to make crying and sobbing sounds...so now, when she nips my neck, she starts sobbing and crying and waits for me to join in...she thinks it's cute! When she does something wrong and knows it, she will fly over to Jay, bend her neck and touch the tip of his nose with the top of her head...(Little con artist..LOL) A major change...if Joe was on Jay's shoulder, Salsa would fly over and shoo Joe off (a little jealousy). Now with Joe's new-found confidence, he holds his ground and nips back at her and she is the one who leaves. She doesn't quite understand that! Spock and her both played easy and rough, but Joe is more mature and mellow and does not play with her at all. So, when this happens, we give a little extra TLC to Salsa. More coming soon...as time permits...right now it is short supply..lol..Maggie

That photo of Salsa says "please mama dee, you KNOW you want an Amazon, what's the holdup?" They have such engaging personalities. I keep gravitating to these Amazon threads for a reason. LOL Joe and Gilbert must be doing some mind melding and boosting each other's confidence. He is learning to chase Java off his stuff and creating just a little mayhem of his own.