NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

newbie question: hole at base of lower mandible

KatB

Hello, all--

I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm about to ask a really dumb question, but I can't find an answer anywhere on the internet so here goes... is it normal for a grey (timneh, if that makes a difference) to have a hole--more like a tunnel-- in the lower mandible where it attaches to the throat? You can't really see it in this photo, but it illustrates the point where I'm seeing the hole. When he stretches his neck you can look straight through the hole up to the skin of the throat. The bone of the lower mandible is at least 1/4 inch away from the throat when he stretches like that... Since this guy is a rescue, I'm on the lookout for possible signs of "special needs".

Thanks!

KatB PICT2513.JPG

PICT2513.JPG

""""""""is it normal for a grey (timneh, if that makes a difference) to have a hole--more like a tunnel-- in the lower mandible where it attaches to the throat? """"

Absolutely normal{Feel-good-000200BB}. All grey, CAGs and TAGs have that opening. there would be a problem if they didn't have it.

Guest briansmum

what i want to know is how you got a picture at that angle? if i approached my guy like that the lense would obscured by beak pretty quick :lol: