NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help

aw64

I think its all going wrong, Alfie is nearly 8 months old I have had since he was 10 weeks.

Over the last couple of weeks he has started to be a little devil, I have him out free flying as much as possible , he has a play gym and his cage is right next to my seat, if his out of cage and i move he is there normaly landing on my head I try to remove him but now he is biting me quite hard, if he is in his cage and I leave the room he gets quite noisy which i guess is to get my attention, when out he will fly to me but again will bite my hands/fingers, and getting him to step up has got harder again getting bites, is he just trying it on if so how do I prove I'm in charge and not here to except him biting me, he can be lovely but I dont want this to get any worse.

My parrots are all flighted and fly all over my home. I have perches and boings in each room that they can be in so that they have acceptable places to sit. If one lands on me, my head or shoulder when I don't want he/her there, I just shake them off. You have to be consistent and tell your parrot, NO. He will get the idea but you must be consistent and not let up.

My parrots are allowed to fly to me only at my request. Unsolicited flights to me are rebuffed (I duck). Only little Jimpster, the quaker, who behaves himself, is allowed to sit on my shoulder. The other two must sit nearby on a chair, if at all. Brutus went through a rambunctious "bitey" phase, but he has since stopped since he realized I would toss him if he bit. Plus, if I feel he is in one of those moods, I grab his beak and kiss it to get his mind off of potential biting. You just have to be smart about everything you do, and give your bird choices that leave biting out of the equation. When Brutus used to try to land on my head, I took to wearing a puffy hat, and I would just dip my head to get him off. Do not allow him to land on your head! Your bird is testing you. Also, do not react to his loud calls. If you pay attention to them, even negatively, you are giving him the attention he wants. Perhaps you can set up a back and forth call that can be used when you are out of the room? Good luck!