NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Damage reports from USA East Coast

Greywings

It sounds like the Storm warnings were not over hyped, NYC subways flooded, Feet of water in lower Manhattan and many coastal towns suffering heavy flooding and storm damage. Even sending out landslide warnings due to heavy rains and winds for those areas that would be prone. I hope that those of you in these areas are safe and your birds are secure as well. It will take many months for these cities and towns to recover and rebuild all the damage. NYC in the dark dGRzt.jpg

I live on the Upper East Side area of NYC. It's business as usual here. I never lost power or internet. However friends and family in CT and NJ are still with out power. Last year Irene had my parents with out power for a week. My parents town is completely with out power currently. The Avian Center (our vet) has been closed since Monday. My girlfriend and I haven't worked all week since our offices are in lower parts of Manhattan. Besides a few reactions to the wind outside the birds were fine through out. However a coworker in the same area (closer to water) heard something explode, had to be evacuated and currently can't return to her apartment.

Alive & well. :) Power & Communications are a little gimpy. But for the most part so much better than it might have been. Especially considering that some of the projected paths had Sandy making landfall right here.

The sustaining winds were a little lower & we got less rain than we might. That combination made a big, big difference. Tidal surge has & will be a problem. But we're built to take much of what we got. Many less pics on the news services than MA/RI had any reason to hope. All & all we were very lucky & we're very grateful.

My heart goes out to all the rest of the people in the harder hit areas because I know how tough things are & will continue to be. Lots of people will be fantasizing about hot showers, warm food & cold drinks for a little while. I hope it won't be too very long before things start to improve for everyone, though.