NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Special needs CAG (photos)

MissOMalley

I brought Emmy and Dutch home today. This is Emmy...she is missing all her toes. She seems to be having issues climbing her cage. I believe the bar spacing is larger than her old cage. Is there any material that is safe to line the bottom of her cage so she has a flat surface? Cardboard, poster board? I will be buying LOTS of ladders for her tomorrow. Thanks

photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

What an adorable grey Emmy is and that is so precious how she sleeps, I knew a few of them do sleep like that but never seen a picture of one doing it but it makes sense since she is missing all her toes, she may not be able to perch like most greys for their feet lock onto the perch to keep them from falling while sleeping. You may have to get her another cage with smaller width bars so she can climb better.

Emmy is a sweetheart right off the bat but Dutch is going to take some work but just take your time with him and let him set the pace for allowing any interaction with you, he is a mature bird that is going to be a challenge to you but if you do not push him and allow him to come to you then you should do fine, be sure to read some of the threads in the rescue room and especially the one by Katana, the one of bringing Gilbert into her home and heart, a must read for someone like you.

Whatever a handicapped critter lacks physically, they often make up for in personality. You may well find that Emmy's a very special girl indeed. :)

Emmy will need to get around by using her beak, for the most part. But you'll probably be amazed at how well she can once you figure out how to work w/that. Since she can't grip w/her feet, she'll need stable perching other than branches & dowels. Ladders should definitely help. You might do well to incorporate a few platforms throughout her cage at various levels, too.

http://www.perchfactory.com/bird_cage_perches/platform_shelf_corner_perches.htm

It makes sense to me that she'd have learned to sleep on her back like that since she can't grip a roost. It must be a particular challenge when she sleeps. I don't know too many greys who use a Cozy Hut to sleep. But she might be a good candidate.

Cardboard is ok for the floor of the cage. Avoid anything that's glued, though. Much of the glue now contains zinc which is toxic to birds. If I understand what you're refering to as poster board, it's made of "unidentified stuff" that could have its own problems. You'll need to be aware that whatever you use is likely to get eaten. So I think I'd avoid it.

A good enough thickness of newspaper to support her should work. She doesn't weigh much. So it won't need to be too thick. But it's easily replaced when soiled & ok for her to eat.

You might start having friends save their newspapers for you because you're about to start going thru a bunch, anyway. I've also found a couple of stores that let me have their out of date issues because they don't have to send them back to the distributor for credit. Maybe you'll be able to find some, too.

Or you can use cloth; sheet, towels, etc. These can be washed & reused as needed. And given they're stationed at the bottom of a bird cage, that will be pretty often.

If the cage design will allow, you might just remove the grate entirely. If there's going to be an escapable gap, then you might find some type of plastic tray that fits. Some pet stores sell plastic replacements for cage trays, for instance. You might also put shavings at the bottom to help cushion any bad landings. Avoid cedar shavings if you do though.

Other than that, you might have a piece of Plexiglas cut to fit.

Edited by birdhouse

This may help your bird with foot strength. I made a few of them a while back to use on baby greys in order to teach them to step up and get balance. My drawing is terrible on my laptop but I'll try to draw it and describe it.

Cut 2 blocks of wood and make into trinagle. The 2 blocks of wood should be at least 2 in thick. The bottom of triangle should be approx 7 in long. The top of trinangle should be approx 6 in high

Drill small holes through either block of wood. Holes on both blocks should be the same. I marked the holes off.

Get 6 square sticks that approx 1/2 in diameter. Cut each stick about 7 in long.

Screw in each stick on either side of triangle..

You'll then have a small ladder that your bird can try to step on. Put on bottom of cage. Because the stairs are square, he'll have less trouble balancing on them. It will strenghten feet.

You can get scrap wood at places like Home Depot or similar lumber yards.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/BABYSTAND.jpg

Edited by Dave007

Y shaped & T branches and flat platforms are good as are Sugar glider cages as they have ramps built in and you can wrap the wire with Sisal, or Vet Wrap so she doesn't scrape her stubs on the wire. You could also make or purchase a hammock or Bird hut for her. She is lovely and we have a Timneh that has a bend backwards leg so have some experience with leg issues.