NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Advice on Playstand

BeeFernandez22

I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I am still trying to get the basics down as Maverick progresses. The more "comfy" he gets, the bolder he gets :) I was wondering if there was a way to encourage him to play on his stand without always trying to fly to me. Do not get me wrong- I LOVE that he wants to be with me, especially after reading about some of the birds here that aren't too keen on being handled. The problem is situations where it isn't safe, such as when I am cleaning or cooking. I like him to be able to spend as much time as possible out of his cage when I am home but I am being forced to put him in the cage when I am doing these things for this reason. Can anyone offer any advice?

I have one that won't stay on the stand either. I keep putting her back on it each time. In the mean time though we have given her a safe place to fly too since she insists on not using the stand. Just keep putting your bird back on it with food/treats he likes, soon he will stay there longer and longer. Persistance on your end is a must, don't give up!

My Alfie is 7 months and I have the same problem if I just sit on the sofa doing nothing he is happy to play on play stand but as soon as I start to do anything his there I hope it will improve with age during the morning when I'm doing household jobs he goes into our spare room with a large play stand and I just check on him, once jobs are done we spend some time together in the lounge then he gets put back in his cage for a rest then comes back out late afternoon for about an hour then again during the evening when all cooking ect is done, somtimes this changes depending on whats happening, but I do understand how you feel we want our babys out as much as possible but we also have things to do, and I dont want to end up having wings clipped.

If you are doing something and his safty is a consern, its not wrong to put him in his cage if he wont go to or play on his stand.

If you are busy and can`t keep an eye on him for his safty than to the cage he gose untill you have the time to work with him.

My three parrots are all flighted and spend most of the daylight hours with me. They do like to be close to me or at least where they can always see me. I have boings/ceiling perches placed throughout my home so that they can sit and play and watch while I am doing other things. If they come to me and get in the way, I just drop a shoulder to get him/them off or shoo them off and back onto a safer place.

It does have toys and branches and such, but he is not very "toy motivated". Even in his cage he doesn't really play with his toys. He likes to rip paper and tissues so I always make those available, but no such luck.

Oh well in that case find him a good book!:D

Steve n Misty

I apologize in advance for my ignorance. when I am home but I am being forced to put him in the cage when I am doing these things for this reason. Can anyone offer any advice?

You're treating the bird like a human being which is bad and if you do that with many other things, you're gonna become a very sad woman as time goes on. You have to establish rules concerning your bird. You're not making him feel bad when you need to put him in his cage while you're doing important hings that pull your attention away from him. That's gotta be tht way as the bird gets older. You should start using that cage frequently because if you don't you'll constantly be looking over your shoulder. Putting him back on a playstand isn't gonna stop him from flying to you. You need a cage that has a door that closes and he'll just have to wait until you allow him out.

Wanna have him accidently fly into a pot of boiling water or a hot skillet? Use your cage on a consistent basis and don't worry about his attitude. He'll be just as friendly when you take him back out. There's no grudges involved. Be strong. Show power. Show that you're the queen of the masses.Rule with an iron fist. Demand allegiance. You own the bird, not the other way around.

Edited by Dave007

I have to say I was encouraged to allow my birds to be independent from the very beginning. I was told....teach them to play by themselves, and as hard as it may be, encourage "side by side" time together. So I have done what was suggested and my babies have no problem playing alone on a playstand or in their cage if I can't supervise. They enjoy their cage and I think as a result, they enjoy their time with me that much more!

I remember having a 2 year old that was always by my side....it can be frustrating! Hang in there, and be persistent!

You're treating the bird like a human being which is bad and if you do that with many other things, you're gonna become a very sad woman as time goes on. You have to establish rules concerning your bird. You're not making him feel bad when you need to put him in his cage while you're doing important hings that pull your attention away from him. That's gotta be tht way as the bird gets older. You should start using that cage frequently because if you don't you'll constantly be looking over your shoulder. Putting him back on a playstand isn't gonna stop him from flying to you. You need a cage that has a door that closes and he'll just have to wait until you allow him out.

Wanna have him accidently fly into a pot of boiling water or a hot skillet? Use your cage on a consistent basis and don't worry about his attitude. He'll be just as friendly when you take him back out. There's no grudges involved. Be strong. Show power. Show that you're the queen of the masses.Rule with an iron fist. Demand allegiance. You own the bird, not the other way around.

Okay.. I DO put him in the cage when those things are going on because NO, I do not want him to fly into a pot of water... hence why I said "I am being forced to put him in the cage". I was simply saying I feel bad doing that because I like to give him as much time as possible out of the cage when I get home from work in the afternoon since he is in there during the day. That's all. I am not confused on who is the owner/bird. I have been posing about how to approach his loud screams and cries from the cage when he is in there BECAUSE I have been putting him up at such times. I am not worried about him holding grudges, I am just trying to do what I thought was best for his well-being by giving him plenty of time out of his cage so he doesn't start developing bad habits such as plucking and all of the other behavioral issues others encounter.

Sophie will only play with anything she can shred. Books, pinatas, the mail.... etc! LOL! Of coarse we all know to put bird in cage and close the door, ( as you do too!), when cooking, for safety. We all feel bad, but it gets easier over time. As far as the protest screams.... ignore them. The guilt gets easier, as well as the tantrums get less.Keep returning your bird to the gym as needed when you are busy. Give something to shred. I always promise Sophie I will be back in a few minutes. I always keep my promise. She knows and waits for me. Nancy

Very important to ignore the screams. Don't respond until birdy makes a noise you find acceptable. When a 'good' noise is made respond and praise. Otherwise you'll be in danger of accidentaly re-inforcing the scream. And try not to feel guilty. Focus on making the cage a safe and happy place to be. Explain why he has to be in his cage to him. Like Nancy says, they start to understand the difference between going in the cage for bedtime and going in for 1/2 an hour while you cook, even if they don't understand all your words. Just like putting a cranky toddler in a car seat, sometimes it has to happen even if they're not in the mood! :P

Hahaha.. Yes, I brought home some phone books from work after seeing something on here about them being okay. I am sure his will have a ball with those! He has a receipt paper toy that he just adores!

Every single spot and stand Dorian has must have two things - a bell and a roll of receipt paper! Try making toys with paper cupcake liners. They're a big hit here with my paper shredder.

We just got our CAG Elwood who is joining our first bird Evie, a Senegal. We're slowly working up to having them both out at the same time. One method we've resorted to is using travel cages so that when one can be out they're not always in the cage and feel like their still in the mix of the flock. So while one is out and playing the other might be in a travel cage with treats and toys seated on the couch right next to me. The alternative would be the Senegal in her cage making a racket. In the travel cage 10 feet closer to us she's more content. The reason I mention this is you could put your bird with a few toys in closer proximity to you so you can see and hear each other better and interact easier with out the risk of him or her landing on your cutting board. We use this when we're visiting family, we take a folding tray table and sit the travel cage on it next to the table as if they were seated there. This makes them feel like they're a part of the action and not left out. It's no supplement for training and encouraging independent play but I think it has it's uses.

LOL That's probably exactly what he is doing! Timber doesn't care much for other toys, but loves those bells. One hangs near his door and he rings it when he comes out of the cage. Then he rings it again when it's time to go in. It he gets aggravated he rings it, if someone comes in that he likes he rings it, in other words, he rings it to mark every event all day long!

This is so funny. I have read a lot about them liking bells but Maverick doesn't seem to really care about them. He has a whiffle-ball toy that has probably 8-10 bells hanging on it and he plays with that occasionally but he is actually chewing the ball portion apart. Doesn't seem to care much for the bell. The dinner bell thing is cute :)