NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My kitty.

Talon

Hi everyone, just felt like I needed to share this story with the people most caring and understanding in my life when it comes to pets. You guys are great in your caring and compassion, and that is what I needed today.

When my youngest son, (now 13 years old) was a year old, we had an orange tomcat that would come into our mud room thru the cat door, eat the cat food left for our cats, spray his scent and leave. It was the entry way into our house, and I could never get rid of that awful smell. It was a regular occurence. Frustrating!!! So, after a while, I decided I had 2 choices, catch him and have him put to sleep, or make friends, neuter him and allow him to continue on in the neighborhood as was his home. The latter was my choice. I went out onto the porch one night and tried to get him to come to me with treats....he slowly did, and after a few nights of this, he came right up for them. Next thing I knew, he walked into my house, into my kitchen, jumped up onto the rocking chair and laid down and went to sleep. He woke up a while later, and groomed himself all while in the kitchen chair. He never looked around, never acred about where he was or who was looking at him, didnt care about our dog, just acted as tho this was his home forever. We couldn't believe it! So, he came andf went inside as he pleased for a short tiem, then I took him to the vets, had him neutered, brought him home, and he ran outside thru the barn doors and disappeared. ........he came backe 2 1/2 weeks lates, and decided he was our pet. He was the best cat you could ever imagine, nevere would harm anyone, EXCEPT he was the best mouser, critter hunter around. He would bring in rabbits for dinner...UGH!

Fast forward many years later, I was getting divorced, at this time we had another strasy we adopted, he was a male and the 2 cats never liked each other. Seeing as the orange cat had the outdoors here as his home, we decided I would take the other male cat with me and Orange KiKi as he was named by my youngest would remain with my ex-husband in this house.

Before I left, the cat had an eye problem, they turned pink. I took him into the vet and the vet didnt now what it was. All seemed ok he said. A couple of years later, he was diagnosed with glaucoma, my ex is too cheap to take care it, etc. I was on bad terms so not allowed on the property etc. My oldest son this last Feb. took the cat in for eye drops, and made an appt for surgery to remove the eye as it was very painful. By now the cat couldn't see very well. The day of the surgery, the cat was gone. My ex was aslways letting the cat go outside, and the cat would get disoriented asnd not be able to come home for months. The last he was seen was in July.

I felt so guilty for not stepping in and taking the cat....I have been very upset wondering wehat happened to him, was he wandering around in the woods somewhere, was he dead? had he been hit by a car, or attacked by another animal and left for dead......

Well, this past Sunday, my youngest was at his fathers messing around out back in the field and he saw the cat. He went over to it, scooped it up, called me and carried it basck to his fathers, I said, keep him inside, I am coming to get him.

He is at my house, upset, and confused. After calling around to get him seen asap. (you wouldn't believe the doctors that gave me appts for 3 weeks away....HELLO??? this is an emergency! I found a doctor that said bring him immediately. I did that this morning, My Orange KiKi is completely blind, no lights, no shadows, nothing. He is and has been in excrutiating pain for the past 5 years...:( My heart breaks for him and I feel so guilty.....I asked for an estimate ont the surgery. $1800, or he needs to be euthenized.....:( :( :( :(

I was making up my mind to charge the surgery on my cc, although I can't afford it, because in my heart, I owe that cat so much more thasn ending his life.

I just got my kitty back!! I am nt ready to let him go.......nor are my kids. I got to work, starting googling eye surgery, got some suggestions, called my regualr vet, and they will do the surgery for $700!!!

So. my kids are all chipping in, and we are going forward with the surgery after a weeek of him getting eye drops.

Than you for listening, I needed to share this with someone and you are all caring members.

OH, and the cat isd over 15 years old....maybe 20....Can't help it, we are so happy to have him back!! But it is heartbreaking to see him struggle, he is getting better at getting around though. The vet says when this happens, they use ecelocation...who knew that?

What a sad but wonderful story of reunion between people and their beloved pets. I wish Kiki a happy remainder of his life with the people who love him. If you think it appropriate Penny, please post a picture of Kiki and his family. Bless Kiki and those who love him.

Echolocation, also called biosonar, is the biological sonar used by several kinds of animals. Echolocating animals emit calls out to the environment and listen to the echoes of those calls that return from various objects near them. They use these echoes to locate and identify the objects. Echolocation is used for navigation and for foraging (or hunting) in various environments. Some blind humans have learned to find their way using clicks produced by a device or the mouth (see Human echolocation).

Edited by luvparrots

Penny I know how you feel about euthanization.

Smokey our Cairn terrier was 17 years old, blind, deaf, had arthritis and was on medacation to make him comfortable.

On December 25, 2011 Christmas day Smokey passed away in his sleep at home in his own bed with us around him.

Orange Kiki has been through so much already. He found you for a reason Penny. What a difference a caring vet makes. It would be horrifying to wait three weeks for him to be seen and I am so glad you have an alternative. His life will be blessed when his pain is gone and he can live his days with love and your care. I am so sorry for the stress this has caused in your life and I have a serious case of stink eye going out for your ex. You are the one setting a compassionate affirming example for your kids and they will remember you going to great lengths for those you love. What goes around comes around, and you have the best focus in life so that is going to be magnified for you as you sit peacefully with a cup of tea and a warm kitty appreciating your touch in his life.

Bless you for doing right by this old fellow. I love cats (any animal really but cats have made a special place in my heart) and I appreciate people like you. Even without sight he will learn the house as long as his hearing and nose still work he should be fine. You did the right thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I am happy to give you an update. I had taken my kitty to the opthomologist and she put him on eye drops 3 times a day. His eye pressure was 10 in 1 eye, and 65 in the other. She said he was in extreme pain. She was certain that the eye drops wouldn't help since he had been so long without eye drops, but she wanted to give it 1 week to appease me I think. We were to bring him back for a follow up in 1 week. I scheduled my kitty's surgery for the following wed after his 1 week checkup. My daughter brought him in 1 week later and the doctor was shocked!! His eye pressure went down to 15!!!! NO SURGERY!!!!!! I was jumping up and down. The doctor was stunned at the results of the eye pressure. So he is to remain on eye drops the rest of his

Ice 3 times a day, and return for a follow up,in a month. Then if all looks good, every 6 months. My faithful daughter has continued to come home from work midday since the beginning to make sure he has his drops.

We are so thrilled, and my kitty seems so much happier!! Imhave been able to tach him how to climb up and down the stairs, where his food, and litter box is, and how to maneuver the couches and the house. He is doing so well.

Thank you everyone for your support and very kind words. I will update again after his one month checkup. I hope we get good news on that visit.

Orange Kiki has been through so much already. He found you for a reason Penny. What a difference a caring vet makes. It would be horrifying to wait three weeks for him to be seen and I am so glad you have an alternative. His life will be blessed when his pain is gone and he can live his days with love and your care. I am so sorry for the stress this has caused in your life and I have a serious case of stink eye going out for your ex. You are the one setting a compassionate affirming example for your kids and they will remember you going to great lengths for those you love. What goes around comes around, and you have the best focus in life so that is going to be magnified for you as you sit peacefully with a cup of tea and a warm kitty appreciating your touch in his life.

WOW! You soooo understand. I feel exactly the way you do...THANK YOU for the BIG smile you put on my face when I read your post>..:)