NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

buying from breeder not local?Need your advice.

pjbmom

Hi everyone,

I have an amazon now and had african grey who died 3 years ago. I am thinking of getting another. There are no local breeders that I can find to buy or to adopt. I was thinking of buying a baby from a breeder. This would be my first baby. I adopted my amazon-figaro is his name and adopted My grey. There are many many breeders you can find online. How do I trust them? There are so many. I would have to ship to me. Have any of you done this? There is a pet store here locally but won't have any until Sping and I am not sure I want one from them. I checked local shelters,websites so I thought I would buy from a breeder. Any advice from anyone.

I love the Solomon Electus also. Love my Amazon Fig too but figured I have a Amazon,I should get something else.

Any advice about shipping from breeders is appreciated. Thanks so much

Hi and welcome. I see you are from NY. Have you looked into the Bird of Paadise store in NJ? That would be my recommendation. All birds are hand raised, vet checked and cared for by the very best. You know exactly what you are getting, are Ble to visit as much as you like and spend time with them, and they are the best!

I live in MA and bought my first grey from a breeder in FL. I had her shipped to me at 6 1/2 weeks, I was lucky, all worked out well. But you have to be very careful if you chose that route.

What part of NY are you near? East, Central or West? If you are from the central or western part of the state I highly recommend Birds Unlimited in Webster NY. That is where my buddy Jake is from and he is a real character.

Hi everyone,

I have an amazon now and had african grey who died 3 years ago. I am thinking of getting another. There are no local breeders that I can find to buy or to adopt. I was thinking of buying a baby from a breeder. This would be my first baby. I adopted my amazon-figaro is his name and adopted My grey. There are many many breeders you can find online. How do I trust them? There are so many. I would have to ship to me. Have any of you done this? There is a pet store here locally but won't have any until Sping and I am not sure I want one from them. I checked local shelters,websites so I thought I would buy from a breeder. Any advice from anyone.

I love the Solomon Electus also. Love my Amazon Fig too but figured I have a Amazon,I should get something else.

Any advice about shipping from breeders is appreciated. Thanks so much

I just checked the site out and she doesn't have a grey.:(

Give them a call and tell them what your looking for. Most of the time babies are available from late spring through the summer but he might know of a late clutch or you'll have one of the first in the spring. From personal experience his early spring babies were sold before they arrived.

I would leave your name and number with any breeders you contact. That is how I got my two greys. I waited 4 months for my TAG, the breeder's grey had just hatched. As for my CAG, the breeder had sold all of her babies but when one of her "deals" fall through, she remembered me and called. Doesn't hurt to try.

• 2 weeks later...