NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is Teatree oil smell bad for our grey?

Terra1981

I have a bad flea issue in our home and scared to us vet and pet store flea control because of our 3 parrots one is a congo grey ther others are a senagal and a ringneck ..its 12 drops Tea Tree Oil & 8 drops Peppermint oil per 1 cups into a spray bottle. Spray the liquid on carpets, around couches and other areas.

A single female flea can produce hundreds of eggs each month. Spray around your home once a week to maintain your flea free home.

I would remove the parrots from areas till smell and mist drys i would not do their cages at all. Any thoughts?

Well, I really have no idea what it smells like but we have 2 famous reknowned experts here that specialize in holositic products. Their names are Greywings and Jayd. They're extremely knowlegable and can give and get you the specifics concerning your questions. I don't know whether they're here right now but they will show up.

Thank you Dave, but it is from you we've learned...Hi, Tea tree oil is extremely toxin to parrots and other animals, it's grouped as a essential oil, please do not use around parrots, the same goes for peppermint extract. Tea Tree Essential has caused paralysis in birds. Diatomaceous earth can help with eliminating fleas safely as well as vacuuming, don't forget to dispose the vac bag, and clean the unit, fleas can breed there. You can also try salt, sprinkle on carpets, let sit for a while, then vacuum...Thanks Jayd

If you have carpet as Jayd said vacuuming and changing the bag/container outside can be helpful. Using a carpet cleaner ** with a rotating scrubber and just pain hot water in the tank can help dislodge and pick up eggs that have attached to the carpet fibers. If your going to use diatomaceous earth it should be food grade only and your pets/small children should be removed during application so they don't breathe the dust. http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww35eii.htm

Breaking the flea cycle is no fun and a lot of hard work but it can be done.

**Edited to mention this should read carpet cleaner machine instead of carpet cleaner.

Edited by Wingy

Using a carpet cleaner

Breaking the flea cycle is no fun and a lot of hard work but it can be done.

Wingy, thank you so much. Many commercial carpet cleaners can kill our parrots, some of the most famous are "Pet Fresh, Carpet Fresh" etc, it's on record............We use "White vinegar and water".....

Edited by Jayd

Wingy, thank you so much. Many commercial carpet cleaners can kill our parrots, some of the most famous are "Pet Fresh, Carpet Fresh" etc, it's on record............We use "White vinegar and water".....

Thank you for pointing out that I wasn't clear enough. Sometimes my brain works faster than my fingers.

Jayd is right -not safe for birds, the problem with Tea Tree oil is that the kidneys and liver are not able to break down the oils which are a central nervous system depressant for birds and small animals it can cause seizures, dizziness and death. Use either the Diatomaceous earth or you can liberally salt your carpet leave overnight and vacuum, in act vacuum every day if you can and keep those eggs and loose fleas out of the carpet.

Edited by Greywings