NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

feathered phonics talking cd ?

mervyn2233

Hi guys im just wondering if any of you would recomend that cd to help your grey start talking ,as my wife and i are not always at home so just to fill in the gaps whjilst we are out ,obviously i would like to teach him everything myself like i do devote alot of time to him outside work but just while im out if any one has usedf this and found it helpfull please let me know thank you guys and keep up the great work of helping people .

Most greys don't really have the ability to talk at 4 mts old( there are very rare exceptions) BUT lets say that your grey is 10 to 18 mts old which is the time that the ability to talk really kicks in.

CDs that have words or phrases on them are created as stream tracks. For example lets use the words *how are you*. A CD will quickly and constantly repeat the phrase over and over and over. If a grey eventually starts to learn those words on that particular track, it will repeat those exact words over and over and over at the same speed and pitch as the track because a grey hears the track as one sentence or bunch of words. Also, the pitch and sound of the voice coming out of the bird will be the same as what he's heard on the track, not yours. Also, if that track happens to have a scratch on it that can be heard by the bird, that scratch which is in track mixed in with the words will also be repeated by the bird simply because it's part of the track. He doesn't know that there's a fault in the track nor does he have the ability to know that there's space between the set of words. As far as the bird is concerned, that dead silent space is simply part of the track. if that space is 5 seconds, he'll space his repeating with 5 second intervals, not 3, not 6, not 9 seconds.

A better alternative is to let a bird pick up what a person says naturally when that person is actually with the bird. After a grey starts showing it's ability to talk, you'll be surprised at all the things he starts to imitate in the house. A person won't even be aware of these things because they're so used to them that the sound doesn't even register. A squeek in the door, a dog moaning to go out to take a leak, a microwave going off, the beeps on a phone, a car alsrm when parking, language( even off color) between 2 people,dishes making noise when putting them in shelves, other bird's sounds etc etc. Save your money.

Thank you mrspock for your words of wisdom , the one thing i am concerned about is the 4-5 hours a day that hes on his own in the house while we are at work thats why i am considering using the cd ,on the other hand he will talk when he is ready plus he is so young .

If it's only 4 -5 hrs a day, there's nothing to worry about. They're constantly talking to themselves in parrot language. They have a huge array of natural sounds and whistles which they do whether the person is at home or not. If you're really worried about the bird being lonely with no sounds available, you can try putting on the TV, preferably a kid's station like NICKOLOEDAN or a cartoon channel or an Animal PLanet showthat has the sounds of different animals all day. Many times, those shows feature areas in the wild that have lots of bird sounds but they also like other animal's sounds too.. They don't have to be just parrot sounds. The highs and lows of children's cartoon channels attract greys. They'll be curious because there's loads of different sounds to listen to. Don't expect your grey to learn or imitate anything from the TV shows though. The TV shows are only to offset his posible boredom.

PS--If you're still interested in getting CDs, try these out---no words, just parrot sounds from the amazon and africa both done in their natural habitat

DSCN0010-1.jpg

DSCN0006.jpg

Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/10/08 22:38<br><br>Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/10/08 23:05