NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Aaron and Unnamed

Hello, I am the human, Aaron, and the CAG was bought just last night - I've owned a cockatiel before, and currently own a Red Lory as well. I've yet to name him, but it was a re-home - and he's ten years old. I know that it will take him a while to adjust, mostly because it's a new environment for him - but I want to make sure that I do everything right to make a companion and lifelong friend out of him. I've loved birds since I was a youngin', and every since my first cockatiel I knew I would have a larger parrot when I got older and settled down.

I, myself, am a recent graduate with a Bachelor Degree, and will be moving out of my parents house, shortly, into an apartment.

Just a few simple questions, to start my lifelong journey:

What is the best way to go about introducing him to my Red Lory?

What way is best to get him out of his cage? Clicker-training, the old carrot on a stick trick? I've heard many stories of people's success, and would like to see if I can narrow down some answers for myself.

According to the lovely Breeder that I acquired him from, he has not been to the Vet in a while - is it pertinent to get a checkup from the get-go? If so, about how much does this usually range in cost (any ballpark estimate will do, as I'm trying to budget my money)?

I would like to start as soon as possible so he doesn't get used to just sitting in his cage, because I would hate to leave him all cooped up in there for days on end - but as of now he's a little nippy, which I figure is mostly based on the new environment and it could take years to become trusting of my hand, but is there any way to end such behavior in a positive way? I can read bird body language pretty well, having owned two previously, but do not know the specifics of an African Grey.

I woke up this morning at 8am and he was very enthusiastic and walking around the cage and such - is it normal for them to take naps occasionally? Or is sporadic napping a sign of illness? Perhaps he's just not used to his environment enough, and has become lethargic because of stress in the moving process?

Wow - I didn't mean for there to be so many questions. Haha!

Anyways - I look forward to reading your replies. I will attach a link to a video of him that confuses me - is he happy or is this aggression? I've never seen anything like this in my other birds… It's storming, though, with thunder and lightening… maybe that's the reason?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz4ydTB9OKY&feature=plcp

I've been reading here for a while before I bought him, I would say a month or so - and I already love him to pieces! I just need to know what's usual or unusual behavior before I spazz out and become one of those people who thinks a sneeze is a heart attack.

Thank you so much!

-Aaron

Hi Aaron and welcome to you and your new friend and companion to the grey forum.

Your grey looks great and you should have many years to share your life with him/her.

Give your new friend a chance to settle in to his new home. You and your home is all new to him/her.

Sit by his cage and talk to him and after a few days you could leave the door to his cage open and let him come out on it`s own.

Do you know if its a boy or girl.

Just give it some time.

Hello, I am the human, Aaron, and the CAG was bought just last night - I've owned a cockatiel before, and currently own a Red Lory as well. I've yet to name him, but it was a re-home - and he's ten years old. I know that it will take him a while to adjust, mostly because it's a new environment for him - but I want to make sure that I do everything right to make a companion and lifelong friend out of him. I've loved birds since I was a youngin', and every since my first cockatiel I knew I would have a larger parrot when I got older and settled down.

I, myself, am a recent graduate with a Bachelor Degree, and will be moving out of my parents house, shortly, into an apartment.

Just a few simple questions, to start my lifelong journey:

What is the best way to go about introducing him to my Red Lory?

What way is best to get him out of his cage? Clicker-training, the old carrot on a stick trick? I've heard many stories of people's success, and would like to see if I can narrow down some answers for myself.

According to the lovely Breeder that I acquired him from, he has not been to the Vet in a while - is it pertinent to get a checkup from the get-go? If so, about how much does this usually range in cost (any ballpark estimate will do, as I'm trying to budget my money)?

I would like to start as soon as possible so he doesn't get used to just sitting in his cage, because I would hate to leave him all cooped up in there for days on end - but as of now he's a little nippy, which I figure is mostly based on the new environment and it could take years to become trusting of my hand, but is there any way to end such behavior in a positive way? I can read bird body language pretty well, having owned two previously, but do not know the specifics of an African Grey.

I woke up this morning at 8am and he was very enthusiastic and walking around the cage and such - is it normal for them to take naps occasionally? Or is sporadic napping a sign of illness? Perhaps he's just not used to his environment enough, and has become lethargic because of stress in the moving process?

Wow - I didn't mean for there to be so many questions. Haha!

Anyways - I look forward to reading your replies. I will attach a link to a video of him that confuses me - is he happy or is this aggression? I've never seen anything like this in my other birds… It's storming, though, with thunder and lightening… maybe that's the reason?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz4ydTB9OKY&feature=plcp

I've been reading here for a while before I bought him, I would say a month or so - and I already love him to pieces! I just need to know what's usual or unusual behavior before I spazz out and become one of those people who thinks a sneeze is a heart attack.

Thank you so much!

-Aaron

The common method used to introduce one bird to another is having them near each other ( each in the security of his/her cage). They need to see each other, make parrot noises to each other, react to the other bird ( yelling, growling, totally ignoring each other etc). Then both birds are let out together but not butting shoulders. Each bird needs the ability to walk away to the security of it's own cage. Then it's a daily slowwwwww process that will improve over time but you need to remember that this isn't what may happen. The birds may dislike each other and each will need to have their own time out individually. Lots of people here have similar situations.

Clicker training is just that----training, and it's not used to coax a bird out of it's home. I have no idea what you mean by carrot on a stick trick. At 10 yrs old, your grey more than likely has developed habits, likes, dislikes that he/she will retain. Using your hand around him but not actually touching him will show you how enthusiastic he'll be but that too is a slowwwww process. Starting off with sticks is a very bad idea especially since the bird is an adult. THAT COULD cause problems in your future relationship.

Yes, it's important to see what possible situations do or don't exist. Normally, when a person brings a new bird in a house that has another bird, a quarantine is usually done. Bother birds are separate from each other ( the new bird being kept away in another room) for 2 to 4 wks. Vets recommend this; bird owners recommend this; bird sanctuaries make sure it's done before the bird is released in with other birds.

How much $ ? Well, that depends upon how many tests are done, how much the vet charges the catagory of the vet. He/she needs to be an Avian Vet. Regular vets don't really deal with birds frequently so expect to have about $200 to $400 on hand. Some people pay more;some less. The on;ly thing you can get as far as an answer is how much individuals paid.

They nap frequently and stay stationary for extended periods of time. They're also quiet. Sporadic napping is common.

We have a big thread concerning body language here that applies to just greys. The thread is a sticky.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?109373-Body-language-most-frequently-seen

The small video you posted could be the bird trying to get attention, or reacting to the noise of the storm or just scratching the bars or simply climbing around.. More that likely, it didn't last long.

And last but not least, you;ll need to let the bird get used to the new environment, new people, new routines that go on in a new home without pressuring him with so called training. He's 10 yrs old and may be obstinct.

Edited by Dave007

Hi Aaron, your new companion is quite handsome. First, what background information were you able to obtain from the prior owner(s). Ex. what was his prior routine. I believe that will help you in knowing what to do now. So if you can get some background on routine, favorite foods, words he might know, time out of the cage, how he interacted with people, etc., you can see what his life was like prior to you. Dave has already given you some excellent information and I know because you care, you will be a great parront. Just relax and let your new friend lead the way. Welcome to the Grey family!

Thank you all so much! I called a Vet clinic today to see about how much the cost would be, mind you he wasn't an Avian Vetrinarian - it was 55 dollars for a check-up, not including blood work or any specialty that Avian Vets would do, but I've heard of one close by, and have the number, so I will be calling tomorrow.

As I type, he is out of his cage sitting on the door - so we're making quick progress… I've read some African Greys just don't like to be touched, and I'm fine with the needs of my birds. They own me, as I understand it, not the other way around. :P

Anyways - I've taken what you've all given in stride, and will wait a few more days, maybe even weeks, depending on how well he warms up to me. We will certainly have to see. Different from any bird I've ever had, before, which I knew coming in to this, but seeing it is surely something different entirely!

Aerial, as for the name, the previous owner called him "Congo." To my understanding, this was simply because they couldn't find another name for him, and just started calling him that. He does say "Congo," himself, so I may just stick with that. That would be the obvious name - but I'm a huge fan of "new place, new life, new name." Is changing the name of a bird not commonplace? I may be one to break this rule. :o

The whole situation with re-housing him was that his previous owners did not have time for him, and so he was split between the owners and a sitter (the breeder they acquired him from) - the owner thought it was unfair, so they decided to let the breeder hold him until they sold him. And now he's found me! He was just too beautiful to say no to. And I'm in it for better or worse, really - the long haul, if you will. :D

Just fed him some apples for a snack, and he's been "drumming" the whole time he's been out - is this behavior a state of being content?

Thank you all for your wonderful posts - I feel welcome to a family I've long searched for; rather, a flock.

I'll have to peruse around the forum to see where I may be able to ask more questions once I receive more answers. ;)

Once again, thank you so much! Any more answers or even questions for me and my Grey are always welcome.

-Aaron

Changing a name could be tricky. I tried on two of mine, one stuck, the other we had to go back to his original name, Bongo. Not my fav name but its his so... My opinion only but, looking back changing his name seemed to set us back, its like we made a difficult situation he was already facing even more confusing by not using a name that he was use to. We took him from his "home", good or bad, new people, new routines, new cages then a new name, its like i took everything he had that made him feel secure away. He stopped talking the second day here and now only whistles, i feel i am to blame for this for trying to rush him into adapting to what i knew would be so much better for him when he was just feeling scared.

Changing a name could be tricky. I tried on two of mine, one stuck, the other we had to go back to his original name, Bongo. Not my fav name but its his so... My opinion only but, looking back changing his name seemed to set us back, its like we made a difficult situation he was already facing even more confusing by not using a name that he was use to. We took him from his "home", good or bad, new people, new routines, new cages then a new name, its like i took everything he had that made him feel secure away. He stopped talking the second day here and now only whistles, i feel i am to blame for this for trying to rush him into adapting to what i knew would be so much better for him when he was just feeling scared.

Thank you for your honesty, Murfchck! I understand what you're saying and agree to an extent. Perhaps I will "wait" on the name change until he is more comfortable with me, rather than rush in to things... After all, I may just get used to and enjoy the name "Congo."

What a good first impression I have of this forum! :D I love it!

smiles I kinda totally agree I spose I am lucky to have been able to pick my birds name since she was just 3weeks old when we first met .. however if i would of gotten a re-homed I would of kept that name since they are so smart and learn like that specially if he is saying it to you! lol :D that is great and good progress you sound like you are going to be a great Parront! :D :D

Hello Aaron and welcome to our family, so glad you could give this grey a new forever home.

You seem to have the ight attitude so I think you are on the right track to gain his trust, it just takes time and lots of patience but it will come.

Be sure to read the thread in the Rescue Bird Room titled "Gilbert is home" it is about another grey that came from previous homes and she is just now seeing real progress in his trusting of her and his new home.

I think you may be right, Timbersmom! Because every time I do it, he crawls right on out. No hesitation!

Today, I had time to go get some toys before I went in to work, and I've just introduced him to them, slowly but surely, along with a few new perches. He seems to be taking to them quite well. He simply prefers to be out of the cage, rather than inside. He seems like my kinda guy - wants freedom and to be left for some alone time. He is affectionately dubbed "the hermit." I, myself, am a hermit of sorts, being that I love my alone time, and quiet time is a must - so he mirrors my personality, to a tee. What I know of it, so far, that is. We'll just have to see what the next few weeks brings!

Sometimes when he nips at me, he laughs - and then I laugh. That's probably not the best way to train a CAG :D haha

Hello Aaron and welcome to our family, so glad you could give this grey a new forever home.

You seem to have the ight attitude so I think you are on the right track to gain his trust, it just takes time and lots of patience but it will come.

Be sure to read the thread in the Rescue Bird Room titled "Gilbert is home" it is about another grey that came from previous homes and she is just now seeing real progress in his trusting of her and his new home.

Thank you Judy! I've been reading through that passage, and it's given me quite a lot of information to read through! I'm excited and eager to learn more!

Hi Aaron, welcome to the forum. Your description and video look like you are having a good start getting to know your new friend. His chirps and the fact he is on the front of the cage "coming toward" you is a good sign. He isn't withdrawing or growling, his vocalizations sound cheery and welcoming, as Timbersmom says, it looks like he wants to come out. You have some parrot experience and a great attitude and I am predicting he will adjust in no time. His nips are a message and if you take his message and give him some room, I am willing to bet he is going to come to you in his own time and it will be sooner than later. As for a name change, you will know when it is time. Even some parrots who came in as babies and were named have nicknames and they know it is still their "handle". Gilbert came in knowing his name and referred to himself, mostly to reassure that "Gilbert okay". He also came in telling the dogs to "shut up you idiot". In due time he has not heard that reinforced so now he says "Quiet" or "stop that". He also called the dogs "Buddy" or said "C'mon Bud wanna go outside?" and now he calls one by his name, Mick, but always refers to the other (Baxter) as Lou. He didn't do that for almost a year, so maybe he has renamed Baxter, who knows? As you get to know him, he will let you know his preferences and one day may come out and tell you his name. One of our members, Jayd, called his rehomed grey "Jim" and one day he just piped up and let him know his name is Joe, and Joe it is. Good luck to you and what's-his-name, LOL, that is a joke, I am waiting to hear what he tells you to call him.

Hi Aaron, welcome to the forum. Your description and video look like you are having a good start getting to know your new friend. His chirps and the fact he is on the front of the cage "coming toward" you is a good sign. He isn't withdrawing or growling, his vocalizations sound cheery and welcoming, as Timbersmom says, it looks like he wants to come out. You have some parrot experience and a great attitude and I am predicting he will adjust in no time. His nips are a message and if you take his message and give him some room, I am willing to bet he is going to come to you in his own time and it will be sooner than later. As for a name change, you will know when it is time. Even some parrots who came in as babies and were named have nicknames and they know it is still their "handle". Gilbert came in knowing his name and referred to himself, mostly to reassure that "Gilbert okay". He also came in telling the dogs to "shut up you idiot". In due time he has not heard that reinforced so now he says "Quiet" or "stop that". He also called the dogs "Buddy" or said "C'mon Bud wanna go outside?" and now he calls one by his name, Mick, but always refers to the other (Baxter) as Lou. He didn't do that for almost a year, so maybe he has renamed Baxter, who knows? As you get to know him, he will let you know his preferences and one day may come out and tell you his name. One of our members, Jayd, called his rehomed grey "Jim" and one day he just piped up and let him know his name is Joe, and Joe it is. Good luck to you and what's-his-name, LOL, that is a joke, I am waiting to hear what he tells you to call him.

Katana, thank you for your welcoming! I'm very excited to get started and get into a routine with him - it seems he's starting to become more accustomed to me, as time moves on. I'm sure you're right, and when the time is right he'll warm up to me enough to come out and perch on my finger. For now, I'm giving him his space.

I have an appointment scheduled tomorrow for a routine checkup - and to my surprise it only costs 40 dollars! And this is with someone who sees Exotics regularly… so I was happy. Of course, that's not including blood work or anything, but that's all very optional stuff that I don't necessarily have to do unless reasons present themselves.

As for re-naming him, I completely agree! Eventually, he may change his name to something I wouldn't even prefer. So we'll just have to see how things pan out. Thank you so much for your input! Everyone's so kind here. :D

SUCCESS! Holy moly success… Within just a few short days, he's taken a liking to me and will allow me to pick him up. "Step up" is working, and I cannot believe that he's so trusting in such short time! Reading everything on here and taking necessary steps to assuring he's secure in his environment has helped our relationship, tremendously, already - and only from last Thursday! Who'd have known a ten+ year old CAG could be so accepting. Of course, like I've read somewhere else, it could just be a honeymoon phase - we'll have to wait to see! But already I'm enjoying everything about my CAG. Everything!

That's great! I understand totally what you said about the "loner" behavior. I am one myself (as is my husband), which is why I think Timber is such a perfect match for me. He wants to be in the same room I am in, but once there he goes about his business and I do mine. Once in awhile one of us will speak or whistle and the other responds. We have times we are more interactive, and we always have cuddle time at his bedtime, but a lot of our daily routine is spent enjoying each other's company without being "in each other's face" so to speak. I really like his independence and his spirit. If you read the forums here, you will see that each bird has their own personality and needs.

He must have had a good relationship with someone in the past to accept you so readily, which is a real blessing! Almost the first time I had Timber on my arm and started scratching around his head, he dropped his head on my stomach, tail feathers in the air, feet relaxed, and eyes closed. I thought "this isn't his first rodeo." One of his owners spent quality time with him and he remembered it and craved it. Now it's a routine for us. This didn't happen until I had been working with him for almost two months. It took some time for me to earn his trust, but once I did we've never looked back.

You will learn more every day about your bird's personality and what he needs from you (as well as what you want from him). What makes it so much fun is that even after you think you "know" him, he will surprise you. As Joe and Gilbert did, if you read those threads, he comes out with things from his past (vocalizations and behaviors) that are new to me periodically. I expect he will continue to do so. One of the most amazing things about the grey species, to me, is their memory!

Congo is doing so well! I took him to the Vet for a general Checkup and he has a clean bill of health. Moreover, he's taking more and more of a liking to me! He will step up off his cage without coercion. It's so wonderful! My Red Lory just last night climbed on to Congo's cage, but that quickly ended when Congo almost bit him - and to think I only looked away for a second! But I think I owe it to you all to let you know. You've helped me out so much thus far, just by existing with all the wonderful content you have on here.

Woohoo!

I've started to wean Congo onto a pellet diet, and it's working out well! When I first introduced him, in a hand-feeding sort of way, he'd completely reject them and throw them about. But now, as I've mixed them in with his seeds, he's taken a liking to them. As per the Vet I saw, they say this is a good way to get them the nutrition they need.

I'm loving my CAG to pieces! And I hope this change/transitory period into his new diet will keep him happy and healthy for a long while!