NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Eye pinning with Food?

Guest Jocelyn

Guest Jocelyn

Yesterday I gave Romeo a small piece of warm potatoes off my plate. And his eyes started pinning like crazy when he ate it He also makes a funny little noise if he is going to allow you to touch him and his eyes will pin for a split second.

I thought I pinning meant fear and anger? I have seen him do it when he's scared too.

What does this mean?

Eye pinning can be for pleasure as in he was enjoying that piece of food, I have observed my grey doing the same thing with food or other fun things but yes it also is a warning when they might be about to bite or dislike something, as you observe Romeo more you will learn when he is just happy or giving a step back for a moment warning.

That funny little noise he makes when he is going to allow you to touch him is probably unique to each grey as mine does a sound that is strange to someone else I know who has a grey as hers does not do it but she has done it from the time I have had her, thats just Romeo's happy sound.

Ah yes, learning to read your grey/parrot. It takes awhile but if you really pay attention you will learn to do it. My zon has smiling eyes sometimes. They are bright and beautiful and I love to see them. You need to combine the body language, tilt of head, and eyes together and then you can see the differences.

Cheese is king, and so are chicken drumstick bones at our house. Brutus' eyes only seem to pin for pleasure. When I was gone for a couple of weeks and walked in the door, his pupils all but disappeared. Also, if i ask him if I can pet his head, his pupils get really small, and I know he would like a head scratch in the worst possible way. I aim to please!