NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question about behavior

Timbersmom

Timber and I have been progressing very well and it turns out that he loves scratches. Last night, I was scratching under his beak and he started "beaking" my hand. He was rubbing it with his beak and pinching very gently (no pain). He put my finger in his beak but didn't bite down, just kind of rubbed back and forth.

A couple of nights ago I thought he was going to regurg on me, so I immediately put him back on his cage door.

I'm careful to only scratch around his head, and I do NOT want him to think I am his mate. Any suggestions? If he is just exploring my hand and being affectionate, that's great.

Not even along the edges? That's his sweet spot. Around his nostrils and between his eyes?

Eyes are fine.Nostrils are fine. Just the edges if the beak (upper and lower) isn't a good idea if he's nibbling or pinching. On the other hand, you may not have any difficulty with edges. It's trial and error. When that time comes that he nibbles or pinches too hard, that's the end of the edges. He may be exploring though. Just be alert to what he's doing.

All serious biting starts off by nibbling for some birds but not others.

Timbersome.. Dave has excellent advice! I just didn't follow it. I encourage beaking, regurg( not in your mouth) Hand only. To me... Sophie was trying to bond with me. That was twelve years ago.She continues to attempt to " regurg" every once in awhile. There was never sexual aggression. She wanted a mama. I am that person. Sophie is the BEST bird. It makes me sad when parents ignore the regurg, discourage it, think this may be " sexual aggression".I know this is what " avian bird experts" say. I don't believe in it. Nancy

Nancy, I'm sure that bird to bird to bird things can be different. A relative of mine had a grey who saw her as a "mate." The bird was jealous, aggressive, and ended up being a plucker. I don't have any experience, but I know I don't want anything to do with that kind of relationship. It ended up making the bird's life difficult, and was no picnic for the other family members either. I guess that is why I am anxious about Timber's behavior. I'm glad things didn't turn out that way for you and Sophie!

Timbersmom... I understand what you are saying. I believe in establishing a relationship with my birds, that is more " I am the flock leader", Sophie is second in command! It works for us. It works for all my birds. Noone chews, noone shows sexual aggression. When Ryan's girlfriend comes over, Sophie flips! She walks in, climbs up on Ryan. He tells his girlfriend... : my girl is here! He pays her ten minutes of attention. She is happy! Puts her back on her cage. She knows " he LOVES her!" Recently, Sophie has wanted to get to know his girlfriend! Kayleigh is freaking out about it. I told her.... " when you are ready!" Nancy

Timbersome.. Dave has excellent advice! I just didn't follow it. " avian bird experts" say. I don't believe in it. Nancy

With due respect, the other side of the coin....Quote.I know this is what " avian bird experts" say.Un-Quote.. This part of Nancy's post is correct.. Dave's post is correct.

The simplest way to handle a parrot that wants to regurge is to put them on/in their cage or play pen etc, say thank-you and walk a way pronto!!! Come back shortly, minute or so and approach your baby again, if they continue, repeat and stay away a little longer..... This is sexual attraction, prelude to mating, not sexual aggression. Some people feel human psychology relates to birds, this isn't so.