NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

15 + year old feather plucking

Karen Wise

My African Grey has started plucking overnight. It started on Wednesday 10/10 when I uncovered him early that morning and noticed his legs looked as though it was missing feathers but I dismissed it as a paranoid owner. Thursday it looked as though he was starthing on is neck and the bird was wide eyed and looked frightened. I had no idea that my husband had put a empty water bottle on top of his cage so for 2 nights the bottle stayed there. The bottle was removed and I figured that that was the cause for the stress. Something strange is not a good thing to Cosmo. This morning I noticed it was getting worse. He still had that wild look when I uncovered him and the plucking has accelerated but at this moment appears to be fine standing on one foot and all fluffed up.

I am thinking maybe his cover at night maybe part of the problem since the cover concealed the bottle on top of the cage. Any suggestions?

Cosmo's last update. Today he is his old self. The fear in his eyes is gone and no more lost feather's. I hope this continues!

Thanks to all!

Edited by Karen Wise
update to original post

Greys are very leery about anything changed and something odd sitting on the top of the cage will certainly induce stress, he probably thought it was going to come after him to kill him as they are always in predator mode, anything out of the ordinary tends to do that. Don't focus on the plucking, just ignore it for any drama about it might cause him to continue to do it for the attention it draws, maybe when he finally settles down he will discontinue it but time will tell.

I would say if he has been covered at night since you have had him then he is used to being covered but then he might be associating the cover with the strange object on top of it so try it without covering him and see what happens. Some members here leave a night light on so it is not completely dark in their cage but it is what your grey is used to that should continue in my opinion. Give him a few days and see if things calm down for him.

Why not introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us some about yourself and your grey Cosmo.

I think if it were my bird I would have him checked out by the vet. Sometimes unseen physical problems manifest themselves as a plucking issue, even when that is not the real problem. Just to be safe I would rule out other health problems before addressing only the plucking. I know this is terribly upsetting for you. Let us know how it progresses.

I was wondering that too. I don't cover Timber and it doesn't seem to be a problem. In fact, circumstances dictate that I am rattling around downstairs after his bedtime (usually 8 PM) sometimes, and he will be tucked up asleep with his head resting on his back, eyes closed, and one foot up. So I assume the lack of a cover isn't interfering with his sleep. I considered covering him when I got him because I assume it was the norm, but after reading on the forum here I found that many don't cover and it is working for us!

Update on coz! Happy to report he is doing better. We didn't cover him last nite and after it got dark while watching TV Allan was able to observe Coz checking out the top of his cage. He had climbed up to the top and upside down went over every inch of the top of his cage. When I got up this morning he didn't have that wild look in his eyes but still a little jumpy. We scrubbed down his cage yesterday so we could get a better idea of feather drop. As of this minute it is free of feathers. Some are asking why cover his cage at all? He has always enjoyed being covered at night and in fact he has a sound he makes when it is 6:00 pm ,(which is annoying by the way and he knows it) the time he is usually covered. We are sticking with the no cover for now. As for taking him to the vet, we plan on doing that if the behavior continues, I would prefer to take the route of wait and see. At this time I don't want to do anything that is out of his normal routine.

Thanks to all for your help

It is just a personal preference to cover the cage or not, I personally do cover my bird's cages as they are in the family room where we continue to watch tv and such after they have retired for the night so they are used to it, I have covered their cages from day one. The only time they are not covered is when we go out and are out late and it is way past their bedtime, it is already dark in the room and I just leave them undisturbed. I know some here maybe only cover part of the cage so the bird can see out if he/she wants to. Don't feel you are doing anything wrong if you do not cover or if you do cover, its what your birds get used to that matters.

When Sophie first came home at age two, she liked her cage covered. ( three cages back then). As she learned to socialize with the other birds, her door wasn't closed once I trusted her with the other birds. Once she was established as the " flock leader", with the birds, I never covered her again. Kiki the Amazon moved in with Sunny the sunconure.( their decision). One cage vacant for six months. Put it in the garage. Bought Sophie a new " palace", she HATED it.... moved in with Kiki and Sunny. Two years later, Sophie now loves her new cage, but so does Kiki. They share that cage as well.( I did bring back Sophie's old cage)... no interest anymore. I have two cages, two gyms. I never know who I may fine in either cages in the morning. They work it out. Nancy