NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

talking on cue.

vonzip

I am new to this forum and searched for any suggestions (in this forum) on how to get a grey to talk on cue. Any ideas? I tried a few ideas and my grey must believe I'm nuts by now with some of my attempts. Thanks for any constructive help.

There's a few methods a person can use to teach their parrot to mimic human words but there's no way to teach them to do that on que. Domestic animals can be taught to do certain things on que but parrots aren't domestic and have a different range of understanding things. Some people have come close but they were professionals and results were minimal.

Edited by Dave007

Thanks Dave for the reply. A little about Sidley. She is a 3 year old female congo, raised from an egg and imprinted on a male human, hand raised and very tame without a mean bone in her body. I got her just a month ago (from her one and only owner that had some life altering changes to his life) and already she is doing tricks with positive reinforcement for me. She enjoys plenty out of cage time talks a lot and does this in mixed human company. I am just stumped (for now) as how to get her to follow my lead verbally. I know this can be done and I have see it done on youtube. I'm talking about such examples: my question to Sidley, How are you? and her answer "Great", or or how many fingers do I have? You get the idea. This is what I meant to following a cue.

Thanks Dave for the reply. A little about Sidley. She is a 3 year old female congo, raised from an egg and imprinted on a male human, hand raised and very tame without a mean bone in her body. I got her just a month ago (from her one and only owner that had some life altering changes to his life) and already she is doing tricks with positive reinforcement for me. She enjoys plenty out of cage time talks a lot and does this in mixed human company. I am just stumped (for now) as how to get her to follow my lead verbally. I know this can be done and I have see it done on youtube. I'm talking about such examples: my question to Sidley, How are you? and her answer "Great", or or how many fingers do I have? You get the idea. This is what I meant to following a cue.

I know what you meant. Concerning ***How are you*** pause ****great***

This type of thing has to be done in a certain way and that way is by using pauses and higher or lower tones of voice --example--- in a high voice-- HOW ARE YOU? in a low voice ---GREAT!! or visa versa.

It has to be done all at once because to the bird, it's simply four sounds with longer or shorter spaces in between them. If a person succeeds then that person won't be able to train the bird to do this----high voice--HOW ARE YOU? low voice---TERRIBLE! Again, just 4 sounds. The bird feels neither great or terrible. Also, your bird will only respond to you when she happens to be in a talking mood. If she isn't, there's nothing that you can do to start her talking at that particular time.

Don't just go by what you see on YouTUBE. Look up articles about a well known, well trained bird named Alex. The author and trainer of Alex is Dr Irene Pepperburg. You'll be able to see and understand what traing and dealing with a parrot is all about.

Edited by Dave007

There are birds who pick up these responses all by them selves weather from repetition they observe naturally or by training. You will find they often use our words appropriately as your relationship and her vocabulary increase. Living with a flock myself I can tell you their understanding can be uncanny and other times they are just playing with the sounds of speaking, or just enjoying using sounds they hear not just verbal sounds.