NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Emz210

Hi, My name is Emma and I have never owned a parrot before. I currently own a canary but have always wanted to have my own African Grey. I have brought a new cage toys and bit and bobs but not yet found the right bird for me. Obviousley I am being picky as this is a life long commitment.

Does anyone know a good breeder? I am looking for a baby male Congo. I am based in Nottingham.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hello Emma and welcome to our family.

While you look for breeders or even consider a rehome or rescue please research and read all you can so you will be prepared for when you do get one for it is a lifelong committment so know what you are getting into.

Hi

Thanks for your messages. I have been researching and learning for about the last 6 months, and been wanting an African Grey for the last 5-6 years. The only thing I am not sure is how to spot a good bird as a baby. I have arranged to go and see a baby tomorrow night, its a bit of a drive away just over 2hrs. I have been told to make sure the bird is plump and not skinny, shows signs of affection and will come on to my hand without biting and not shy away. Make sure there eyes are black as this will indicate they are babies. I have been told that they are 9 weeks old and will be ready in 3 weeks time. They are closed rung and come with hatch certificates. The breeder is not sure of the breed. Is this something they should be?

If any one has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks

Emma

the only thing I can tell you is the ONLY way to know the sex of the bird for sure is by blood test (I think its where they take a feather) so if you have your heart set on only a boy make sure you have the test done..... I wanted a boy too but once I bonded with Marco for 11 weeks and found out she was a girl ... it just didnt matter at that point! I was already addicted to her :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have chosen my Bird, he is 10weeks old at the min, so picking up in about 2 weeks. Got his cage and everything ready plenty of toys. Very excited about getting him home.

I am trying to put a pic on here but can't figure out how to do this. :(

Thanks for all your replies

M x

Great news that you have found the right Grey for you. I was completely new to parrots when I got my Grey. I will reiterate what others have said--keep doing your research and be active in this forums with questions. i found a lot of support here in the early days. I have never regretted for a moment my decision to get an African Grey. They can be challenging in some ways, but that is part of the adventure! My Grey has been home with me about 10 months now, and it gets better all the time.

Hi

The breeder is not sure of the breed. Is this something they should be?

Thanks

Emma

Different breeds? There are only two African Grey Parrots, a Congo African Grey (CAG-Black beak, large and bright red tail) and a Timneh African Grey (TAG-Small, Grey/black beak with a grey to a maroon tail.) It seems strange that the breeders (?) don't know this. Thanks, Jayd

Different breeds? There are only two African Grey Parrots, a Congo African Grey (CAG-Black beak, large and bright red tail) and a Timneh African Grey (TAG-Small, Grey/black beak with a grey to a maroon tail.) It seems strange that the breeders (?) don't know this. Thanks, Jayd

Hi Thanks for your message, I made a typo error, Its meant to read the breeder is not sure of the sex.

M x

Hi All,

Thanks for you kind messages, I have brought Alfie home last night, supprised how well he has settled in, he was playing with toys last night. Brought hm out this morning and all he wants is to be close ith me. Love him. I will put some more pics up soon.

Can anyone recommend the best company for insurance for him. I am based in the UK

Thanks

Emma

Hi, I am new here too. My name is Devi from Indonesia, I hope I can get some help and will enjoy my time here.

Hi Devi, Thanks for your message, I have found this site very helpful. I wish you many years of happiness with your bird

Thanks

Emma