NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

When is it too cold

Bogey

Sorry what does that mean?

You would need to take Bogey to a lower temp untill you were closer to 50degrees. example: if your house was say 80 degrees, move him some where that was 75 degrees and keep him there for say 1/2hr, then move again to a place that was 70 degrees for a half a hour, etc.. A sudden drop or rise in temperature isn't good for any parrot...Thanks Jayd P.S. Sorry, this is miss info....

Edited by Jayd
miss info

Another way to think of " acclimation"... is what temp is the bird used too? Many birds come from different parts of the world. One bird can be " acclimated", meaning exposed over and over again, use to that temperature. Another bird cannot be considered " acclimated" if they live in Southern California and move to Minnesota. Nancy

TAGs,CAGS --both live in warm temperatures. The variance of their climate in the countries greys come from isn't drastic. Telling someone that all his has to do is let the bird get used to the cold weather by using an acclimating method with that bird is false. Using the acclimation method that's used in a house isn't the same as doing that outside. In a house, bringing the temp down from 80 to 65 degrees is fine because an African Grey can handle those temps. 50 degrees is simply too cold for any African species of bird and there's many species of African birds besides parrots. Legs and feet get damaged from cold weather. Even in a house, 50 degrees is not acceptable. Even people would find it very extreme and unhealthy when living in a 50 degree house.

PS----

So to the person who wants to know if it's too cold, the answer is simply yes it is and just wait until it gets warmer outside. I'm sure your bird can live with that.

Jayd and Dave... you may not appreciate my advice, but I'm going to offer it anyway. We ALL love your advice and expertice. You BOTH, have so much too offer this site. You both have a wealth of knowledge. You BOTH focus on " analytical "decisions, and miss the " human factor". you disagree all the time, but you are actually the same. Maggie keeps Jayd grounded to the human factor. Work together! Nancy

• Haha 1

Jay, Dan and Dave... we appreciate you all.You need to learn to work together! all facts are "great", but if you don't learn to work together, noone is going to respect you! Nancy

The reason for the large letters is because I didn't do the typing on the board. This is a paste

Dan and Jay are big boys and can fend for themselves. This is my reply and only my reply in this post.

The most important thing here is that hopefully people of the past and present

appreciated my time and hard effort and thousands of common sense and analyitical answers to loads and loads of people over the last 5 1/2 yrs. The least important thing for me here was getting respect from people. In the past loads of people who may not have respected me were still quick to take my advice concerning many problems they had. If I found out that they didn't respect me, I would have still given out loads of help. They don't know me and I don't know them. Without solutions to their problems they were lost. Theyre the ones that said that, not me. I poured my soul into all I gave. I asked no thanks for it and most of all I never asked them to respect me.

I don't need to learn to work together with anyone. No one helps me with my advice, opinions, hints, tips and solutions nor do I ask them to. They have their own.

Remember that I don't moderate one of the important sections call Health Room just because of my good looks. I could have left that place but I would have felt that people who needed something wouldn't get it. I could see that in loads of cases they weren't getting it.

Having to deal with whackos, dumbies, fruit cakes, reckless people, nut jobs, potential animal abusers, people who never knew what a level playing field was all about, people who didn't bother to find out what the words *common sense* were all about, people who should have never owned a parrot, dog,cat, hamster,snake or any other thing in the animal world that breathed has been difficult and depressing. They've all been here and gone and more are on the way. If you think you can do a better job with all the BS that people come here with, just apply.

So believe me, I do what I do and luckily and gladly, worrying about getting respect is something I don't have to do. Writing what I write and also looking for respect at the same time wouldn't allow me to be blunt and straight forward and most important----HONEST.

AND--KIns, yes you're right concerning your other post. I don't appreciate your advice since you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about. You haven't been around here long enough to know what you're talking about.

So, until you're nominated the official *psychologist* here, use the PM area to compare individual people.

Edited by Dave007
  • Haha 1

Bogey loves going outside but today it is on 10 degrees celcius/ 50 Fahrenheit is this too cold for him to be outside?

Yes, it is too cold. Your African Grey is a tropical bird that requires specific temperature and humidity ranges. Going outside the boundaries can lead to health health issues and death if the difference is extreme. Thus, the reason Zoo's move any tropical bird species inside during winter months to avoid hypothermia and illnesses caused when lower temperatures and inclement weather arrives.

Here are the facts on the area your grey is from. You can see the climate range you should provide for him/her:

Cameroon and the Central African Republic is a region where temperatures remain high throughout the year. At lower levels near the equator they rarely fall below 18°C/64°F, even at night. Daytime maximum temperatures, however, rarely rise above 35°C/95°F. Humidity remains high throughout the year and rarely falls very low during the hottest part of the day, so that the weather feels sultry and oppressive most of the time. Except during occasional thunder squalls, winds are light so that the temperature feels higher than the thermometer might suggest. Temperatures rise rather higher during the daytime in those areas where there is a pronounced dry season; at this time humidity is also lower and these higher temperatures may not feel so oppressive as the lower temperatures during the wet season when there is higher humidity, much cloud, and little sunshine.

The reason for the large letters is because I didn't do the typing on the board. This is a paste

Dan and Jay are big boys and can fend for themselves. This is my reply and only my reply in this post.

The most important thing here is that hopefully people of the past and present

appreciated my time and hard effort and thousands of common sense and analyitical answers to loads and loads of people over the last 5 1/2 yrs. The least important thing for me here was getting respect from people. In the past loads of people who may not have respected me were still quick to take my advice concerning many problems they had. If I found out that they didn't respect me, I would have still given out loads of help. They don't know me and I don't know them. Without solutions to their problems they were lost. Theyre the ones that said that, not me. I poured my soul into all I gave. I asked no thanks for it and most of all I never asked them to respect me.

I don't need to learn to work together with anyone. No one helps me with my advice, opinions, hints, tips and solutions nor do I ask them to. They have their own.

Remember that I don't moderate one of the important sections call Health Room just because of my good looks. I could have left that place but I would have felt that people who needed something wouldn't get it. I could see that in loads of cases they weren't getting it.

Having to deal with whackos, dumbies, fruit cakes, reckless people, nut jobs, potential animal abusers, people who never knew what a level playing field was all about, people who didn't bother to find out what the words *common sense* were all about, people who should have never owned a parrot, dog,cat, hamster,snake or any other thing in the animal world that breathed has been difficult and depressing. They've all been here and gone and more are on the way. If you think you can do a better job with all the BS that people come here with, just apply.

So believe me, I do what I do and luckily and gladly, worrying about getting respect is something I don't have to do. Writing what I write and also looking for respect at the same time wouldn't allow me to be blunt and straight forward and most important----HONEST.

AND--KIns, yes you're right concerning your other post. I don't appreciate your advice since you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about. You haven't been around here long enough to know what you're talking about.

So, until you're nominated the official *psychologist* here, use the PM area to individual people.

Wow all that and good looking too!:D

Steve n Misty

Question then. I typically keep my heat on 65 (yes I'm cheap). As long as it stays at 65 or above from what I'm reading here Timber is OK temp-wise? I've put supplemental heat in his area and it is currently set on 68. Any advice?

Yes, 65F is fine. In the winter thats about what we let our home cool down to at night in the winter months. During the day, we have the heat set to 72F and run humidifiers to keep plenty of moisture in the air. :)

Jay - You have changed. :) Just because someone posts something different, that may conflict with what you post. I think you should leave your opinion and thoughts others can see additional comments an views on subjects as well for consideration. Then if someone has a question on ANY posts, they can quote and ask for further comments on it. I personally am saddened when I see posts deleted out and left blank.

Question then. I typically keep my heat on 65 (yes I'm cheap). As long as it stays at 65 or above from what I'm reading here Timber is OK temp-wise? I've put supplemental heat in his area and it is currently set on 68. Any advice?

65 is fne. 68 is better but if you find that running that extra heat is a bit expensive, going back to 65 is safe. Cold outside drafts should be avoided if possible. Timber will be fine and dandy.

Hi I cant answer the first question but it leads me to one on tempreture, Im in the uk and any of you who know about our weather will know we,re heading for winter, my alfie lives in my lounge with the family, i'm lucky and dont feel the cold that much how do i know if alfie is warm enough? His 7 months old has lots of free time out of cage but is caged when I'm not here or trying to do certain tasks that he really cant help with, His caged all night and I never have the heating on during the night but his cage is covered over with his blanket, well its a sheet.