NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A Zon on your shoulder

Ray P

There are many people that believe you should never allow a amazon parrot on your shoulder.

Some people believe you should never allow any parrot on your shoulder, but its the amazon that has the bad reputation of being unpredictable and you should not allow a amazon near your face.

This could be true of any parrot but many parrots become great shoulder companions and the amazon parrot is no different.

Before you ever shoulder any parrot you should have a strong relationship and a trust on behalf of both of you and a set of rules that both of you need to know and follow.

You should know your parrot well enough to know what might startle them and cause them to go into defense mode like a dogs bark or something they just do not like to be around them and to make sure you avoid that type of situation.

Never use food to reinforce good behavior on your shoulder, This is personal time and not dinner time.

Cricket at times like this would rather have a head scratch and that personal touch over a treat.

She is not being good for food. She is being good because she wants to be with me. Its our special time.

If you do not want to shoulder your parrot than do not shoulder them and thats OK

If you want to shoulder your parrot than learn the right way and don`t let anybody tell you that your wrong.

Just remember that this is an agreement between you and your parrot.

Grat advice! All my parrots are shoulder parrots, they are free to fly to my shoulder anytime they like. I rears ly turn my face directly towards them, as it could startle them and they naturally would bite out of instinct. I talk to them about what I am doing or ask them about their day. I always acknowledge their presence on my shoulder and make it a special time for them. My a,amzon loves to be on my shoulder when I get home from work, she will rub her head against my cheek over and over for cuddles as she hums. Love it! She shows me how much she missed me....making me feel guilty for working so much...:(