NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Clipping Wings...It's in the Contract

Sarasota

Jayd...your contract was private, not thru a breeder. If a breeder, or rescue organization asks you to sign a contract, to clip, it can't POSSIBLY be binding, if you found yourself in court. The reason being, you could go to court, have your bird fly everywhere, show how beautiful they are. If a jury see's a happy well adjusted bird... who are they going to vote for? The bird of coarse!

In all fairness to rescue organizations, and many breeders... they see alot of birds rescued found in the wild, but tamed. They have escaped their owners. i can understand their arguement as well. I can see both sides, because I clipped, ( I call it trimmed!), and had everyone learn to fly. nancy

Thank you Nancy, but we were both Breeder [not Greys] and a Rescue Organization.........And I agree with you....Thanks Jayd

Remember too... we all care for the safety for our birds, or other animals. When my mom was 80 years old, we adopted her a senior maltese dog. They were hesitant, because she was old. I pushed forward, wanted this poor dog, the owner died, poor pup spent five days with her dead owner. I wanted this dog. They were adamant, that I agreed to return this dog to the foundation, once my mom died.I refused to sign the contract. I made them revise it... Philomena Kearns"s dog, will be taken care of by her daughter Nancy, upon her death. I did take care of her baby, Lady, until her death of old age. Nancy

Jayd...your contract was private, not thru a breeder. If a breeder, or rescue organization asks you to sign a contract, to clip, it can't POSSIBLY be binding, if you found yourself in court. The reason being, you could go to court, have your bird fly everywhere, show how beautiful they are. If a jury see's a happy well adjusted bird... who are they going to vote for? The bird of coarse!

In all fairness to rescue organizations, and many breeders... they see alot of birds rescued found in the wild, but tamed. They have escaped their owners. i can understand their arguement as well. I can see both sides, because I clipped, ( I call it trimmed!), and had everyone learn to fly. nancy

umm i disagree. if somebody buys/adopts a parrot and SIGNS a legal contract to keep the birds wings clipped then they should honor that contract or don't buy/adopt the bird. The "business" has every right to sue you for Breech of Contract if you do not comply with the purchase agreement. having the bird fly for the court has no bearing at all on the contract other than proving you did not honor your part of the agreement. if you the buyer did not agree with the purchase terms then don't buy, nobody twisted your arm to sigh the contract.

Edited by carlsjr

Do you think the decision of clipping or not should belong to the rescue group, or even in a breeder's contract?

im on the fence on this but i am leaning towards the rescue group favor. it is their animal and have every right to ensure the animal goes to a good home and is safe. They can put any verbiage they want in the contract, if you the new "owner" done like it then you are free to go someplace else.

i seriously thought about adopting a parrot from the Gabriel foundation, but after reading their contract and looking over their questionnaire i walked away.

https://thegabrielfoundation.org/files/confidential-adoption-app-small.pdf

i understand why they do this screening process but it felt really intrusive and not for me.

I think all prospective parrot keepers should read that contract. It makes some very good points. However if I had had to comply with all their apparent conditions before I adopted Misty I might never have had him. At least it doesn't seem to ask for clipping.

Steve n Misty