NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Which pellets does everyones Greys prefer most?

Miffy

Many of the food companies will send you samples if you ask. Also, if he is just weaning to pellets, others might have suggestions. We have tried many different pellets with different parrots. Gilbert is offered Harrison's High Potency coarse and that has been our success to date. He is rehomed several times, older Timneh. I put two dishes on opposite sides of his cage and keep pellets in both, plus I add some of the Pretty Bird Natural gold medium size because our other parrot likes them best and I want a fall back plan to keep each of them accustomed to trying new things. With that said, when I put pellets in Gilbert's dish, he runs down there and flings them out and keeps asking me for a cracker. I do see him go to his pellets first thing in the morning and last thing at night. So, while he doesn't "seem" to eat them, he does actually.

Zupreem, natural and nut blend, don't forget to keep a half bowl of a good seed mix 24/7.....TOP's, Royal large hookbill safflower, and Volkmans safflower....The pellets should supplement the seeds, veggies, mash, chop etc.......Fresh first.........

I do ZuPreem natural blend most of the time, seeds sometime on the weekend. IF Lucy has seeds all the time with in few days she switches on seeds and don't even want to look at the pellets.

Fruits and vegetables all the time, all day long. Once I get home from work I remove pellets out of the cage and have her munch on greens for few ours and pellets before bed time.

I do ZuPreem natural blend most of the time, seeds sometime on the weekend. IF Lucy has seeds all the time with in few days she switches on seeds and don't even want to look at the pellets.

Fruits and vegetables all the time, all day long. Once I get home from work I remove pellets out of the cage and have her munch on greens for few ours and pellets before bed time.

Hi, it's best to leave the seeds 24/7 as long as your baby s eating veggies, nuts etc.....This is a quote from Crop post I made..Thanks Jayd

Jocelyn you asked:"Wait I'm confused keep seed available? Why seed can you explain?"

A seed only diet is very bad for a parrot, the reason for this is that each type of seed is lacking a major nutrient, or are high in fat. On the other side, the nutrients they do have are really great, especially EFA's [Essential Fatty Acids] Omega 3, etc....In the wild, think about it, a parrots main diet is seeds and nuts, supplemented with veggies and fruit etc..

A seed diet, less sunflower seeds [they have a high fat content and captive parrots get addicted to sunflower seeds because there easy to eat and taste good] which should be given as a treat, about 3 tbs a day. Keep seeds in the cage 24/7 about a half cup, then feed your veggies, fruit, nuts, legumes Red palm oil, mashes etc. For the ones that will eat pellets, we keep a 1/4 cup available for them, remember pellets are processed with additives etc.

Research, you'll find not everyone feeds pellets...

My macaws like the Zupreem nut blend and the veggie blend over the seed, so they are both available in their cages 24/7. My greys however hate and turn their noses up at any pellets, i went through them all with them too. Zupreem fruit pellets they atleast pushed around so it is offered daily. My flock gets fresh fruits and veggies in the am and a full course dinner in the pm in addition.

Jake is a picky little bugger so he gets a combination of pellets. He gets a few each of Pretty Bird, Pretty Bird Natural Gold, Zupreem Garden Goodness, Zupreem Wild & Spicy, Harrisons and 2 pieces of Zupreem Nut Blend. He only eats a few pellets, if any, but they are available both in and out of his palace at all times. Every morning he gets a measure of seed mix and 2 different raw vegies that are slow to spoil like brussel sprouts, leafy greens, whole carrots, cauliflower or broccoli.

I also feed fresh food, warm food (higgins cuisines, oatmeal, pasta, eggs, etc), a bit of seed, and pellets everyday. Story of my life-no one eats the same thing. My timneh, BoBo will only eat Roudybush, my Sun only Zupreem (natural) and my Senegal, Sadie loves TOPS. I wish I could get them to eat Harrisons but no one will touch it.

My previous Grey would eat anything - except Pellets.

My Wild Grey is stubborn and.. well.. Wild. So far He only eats Sunflower seeds and absolutely NO PELLETS. NO FRUITS. NO nothing else! My frustration level is pretty high. I have now resorted to grinding the pellets to fine power and mixing it up with the Sunflower seeds. And yes I know those seeds alone are unhealthy. So I've been reducing them. But He only eats them. No Pellets. and I don't have the heart to starve him to lull him into Eating pellets. I tried cucumbers, he just throws them away. I tried Carrots, he picks it up and flings it half way across the room. I tried green chilli and he just tears it up but never eats anything.

I got Harrisons High Potency and what not. Even some Power Treats. But nothing works.

I understand your frustration! Timber will only eat nutriberries and avicakes (they have pellet and seed). He eats some of the stuff I fix and some vegetables but the other pellets? Forget it. I tried every brand that was recommended to no avail. I know they may not be ideal, but like you I'm unwilling to starve him (he was underweight when I got him). What it boils down too, I guess, is you do what you have to do.

Try sweet potatoe, pumpkin, carrots and cook them so they are soft. Then mash them up and serve it slightly warm( make sure not too warm). I'm sure he will eat it if free of seeds. If not give him seeds only at the end of the day.

• 5 weeks later...

For the first six months of my life with Gracie she seemed to like Zupreem's Avian Entrees "Wild and Spicy". Over the last two to three months, however, Gracie has resolutely turned her beak up at any and all pellets. I still have them available to her in her cage, but she won't touch them. Instead Gracie expects me to be her executive chef and prepare fresh meals three times a day. These meals are composed of a vegetable mix of corn, peas, green beans, white potato, sweet potato, broccoli and cauliflower. I also add to the mix brown rice, navy beans, kidney beans whole grain pasta, egg white and sometimes chicken. I've tried to introduce mustard greens, spinach and kale but she throws her bowl on the floor when she encounters these "invaders" to her meal. I have a seed mix available in her cage too, but she just picks at it. I wish she would eat pellets because I worry I'm not providing all the right stuff for complete nutrition, but I'm trying to cover as many bases as she will tolerate. She seems very healthy, so I'm hoping she has all the nutrients she needs. She has become a picky little diva!

Edited by JeffNOK

marco was weened on the seed mix and the zupreem fruit blend (and I did check the dates and stuff on the recall list for this product!) ... however almost a year old now I dont find that shes eating much (if any) of the pellets so I might try to change it up to the vege or nut blend and see or a mixture of the 3 :D but course she eats like an OX at her fresh feeding times :D which is twice a day during the week (morning/night) and maybe a bit more on weekends when Im home lol :D Im greatful to the huge blend of fresh food she does like :D shes a pretty good eater!

Edited by aerial.2000