NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Chop

Guest Jocelyn

We don't freeze, we make a couple of days worth and don't add fruit until serving. How we do it isn't right or wrong, to freeze or not to freeze is completely up to you.

....the amount of pellets you feed can be reduced greatly, since that's what this diet replaces.....

I have to make and freeze about a week's worth of food. I'd rather not, but I have so limited time in the morning...and have to chop fresh fruit for the toucans (no getting around that one - refrigerating or freezing fresh, soft fruit is impossible) every day. Plus the pigeons, the dogs, etc. It's a little sacrifice I have to make. I can't imagine freezing food for months at a time! I know a lot of mashes are now including pasta, in part to absorb the moisture of the mix. I'm not opposed as a hard rule, I have included some whole wheat, organic Orzo - but there are much better choices if you are doing a weekly batch, not freezing, etc.

I feed 3-4 tablespoons of mash in the AM with 10 Harrison's High Potency coarse pellets (a lot of that weight gets ground down, or dunked in water). In the PM, I feed 3-4 tablespoons of mash with about a teaspoon of seed and/or sprouts, no pellets.

Since Burt was on an all sunflower diet, I include some sunflower in my weeklly mash - about 1/8 cup. In searching around for sunflower, he gets a lot of veggies, grains and beans. The other sunflower he gets is for training.

Sarasota, thanks, Maggie knows what you mean, were down to 10 parrots 1 dog and me.....than Maggie works and is going to collage., she has a good routine going, I can't help except to let the fid's sit on me and keep them occupied.

Jocelyn you asked:"Wait I'm confused keep seed available? Why seed can you explain?"

A seed only diet is very bad for a parrot, the reason for this is that each type of seed is lacking a major nutrient, or are high in fat. On the other side, the nutrients they do have are really great, especially EFA's [Essential Fatty Acids] Omega 3, etc....In the wild, think about it, a parrots main diet is seeds and nuts, supplemented with veggies and fruit etc..

A seed diet, less sunflower seeds [they have a high fat content and captive parrots get addicted to sunflower seeds because there easy to eat and taste good] which should be given as a treat, about 3 tbs a day. Keep seeds in the cage 24/7 about a half cup, then feed your veggies, fruit, nuts, legumes Red palm oil, mashes etc. For the ones that will eat pellets, we keep a 1/4 cup available for them, remember pellets are processed with additives etc.

Research, you'll find not everyone feeds pellets...

Sarasota, thanks, Maggie knows what you mean, were down to 10 parrots 1 dog and me.....than Maggie works and is going to collage., she has a good routine going, I can't help except to let the fid's sit on me and keep them occupied.

Jocelyn you asked:"Wait I'm confused keep seed available? Why seed can you explain?"

A seed only diet is very bad for a parrot, the reason for this is that each type of seed is lacking a major nutrient, or are high in fat. On the other side, the nutrients they do have are really great, especially EFA's [Essential Fatty Acids] Omega 3, etc....In the wild, think about it, a parrots main diet is seeds and nuts, supplemented with veggies and fruit etc..

A seed diet, less sunflower seeds [they have a high fat content and captive parrots get addicted to sunflower seeds because there easy to eat and taste good] which should be given as a treat, about 3 tbs a day. Keep seeds in the cage 24/7 about a half cup, then feed your veggies, fruit, nuts, legumes Red palm oil, mashes etc. For the ones that will eat pellets, we keep a 1/4 cup available for them, remember pellets are processed with additives etc.

Research, you'll find not everyone feeds pellets...

Good info, JayD. I'm always surprised to learn birds are on seed only diets. There is a blue and gold on my block that is fed sunflower in the shell. THAT'S IT. He also has no perches in his cage because he chews right through them. In fact, I don't think he ever leaves the cage. Oddly enough, he's fully feathered and seems pretty content. I try to stop by, bring toys, wood, veggie mash and bags of nuts. I don't know if the owners are starting to do the research...but I will continue to make the effort!

Even though I feed the pellets, there are not necessary if the bird is getting a healthy, well rounded diet. I would stay away from any pellet with Menadione, Selenium and/or Ethoxyquin and artificial colors (which, unfortunately, is most). But, the birds find them enriching - they like to grind them to sawdust...and I'm not really sure I've actually seen them eat one. When I get bored of paying the crazy price of the Harrison's, and get perfect blood panels...I'll probably stop. :)

For those feeding pellets: There's TONS of research on the web about bird pellets and harmful ingredients. I won't restate everything here. But the good options for a "healthy" pellet are Harrison's, Roudybush, TOPS and an organic brand sold by Eclectus Parrot: http://www.eclectusparrot.com/pelt2.shtml

I have been feeding this organic brand sold by eclectusparrot.com and I have to say I compared the ingredient list and it is the same as the TOPS.....hmmm Anyway, my birds really do not like it. The young ones, the Amazon and the Green Cheek won't touch it and I think my CAG has been eating only enough to survive when she wasn't getting enough veggies.

I have been feeding this organic brand sold by eclectusparrot.com and I have to say I compared the ingredient list and it is the same as the TOPS.....hmmm Anyway, my birds really do not like it. The young ones, the Amazon and the Green Cheek won't touch it and I think my CAG has been eating only enough to survive when she wasn't getting enough veggies.

I've never tried it - but my birds had the same reaction to TOPS. It's too bad. It seems like a really good pellet to me (although it does smell like rabbit food). However, TOPS has a good clean seed mix and Tesoro Treats.

The Eclectus breeder actually lives just a few miles from me and sells the feed at ll the local shows. They also have the most amazing cement perches that they make them selves. I just had one made custom for Shadow's swing.

Sorry...off topic.

TOP's isn't liked by to many parrots, that's a shame. There seed mix really is great, I get over 95% sport from it, and Tesoro Treats, I love it, you'd be surprised how many humans like it and buy it for themselves........lol

Higgins is one of the most palatable, Feather glow by Volkman is another good quality one and if you are in the California area Don's Birds makes his own and it is dust free and excellent, he will ship as well. I think all three of these also make a good soak mix or bean mix to make at home.